After Baldur's Gate 3's massive success, Larian wants the next game to be smaller

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
bg3-shadowheart.jpg

After the resounding success of Baldur's Gate 3 Larian has unexpectedly expressed a desire to develop a smaller title next time.

Despite the widespread success of Baldur's Gate 3, Larian's CEO, Swen Vincke, has discussed plans for the studio's future in the wake of the significant early access hit. In a discussion with Bloomberg, Vincke mentions that while the studio's future is uncertain, the developers do know that they want to work on something smaller. No one at Larian wants to spend another six years developing a single game. At least, not yet.

It’s like making a movie — or many movies at the same time. We didn’t expect we’d need a lighting team, or a cinematics QA team or such a large audio team.

Baldur's Gate 3 is off to a cracking start, quickly becoming the second-biggest launch of 2023 so far. After its official release this Thursday, the role-playing title hit its peak concurrent player count of 700,000, according to SteamDB.

D

Deleted member 223

Expectations don't come down when you hit it big, but instead increase, expecting better of everything. Naughty Dog's problem in a nutshell but true for many elite studios. It's best tackled as a balancing act.

Refining, and having a concise story arc and structure helps a ton. Easier said than done.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
There's a lot of directions they could go. I'd love to see a game with similar freedom of choice, but action combat. Or maybe a game with no combat. Or maybe use the BG3 tech to make a series of new games with totally different stories/aesthetics (similar to GTA Vice City and San Andreas).

imo it makes sense that Larian would want to follow up BG3's success quicker than a 6 year dev cycle.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Larian can do whatever they want from the Divinity series, but they probably can't stop further Dungeons & Dragons games from being developed.
I wish they'd do another Dragon Commander, though I understand very few people would like that over another Original Sin sequel.

I can't even understand who owns the D&D licensing rights at the moment. Wikipedia tells me its last owner was Atari, but even that could be wrong.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I could imagine, a 6 year project sounds like a hell pit of management