Alan Wake 2 Is Being Developed by Around 130 People; It’s The “Toughest” Game Done by Remedy

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Alan Wake 2 is among the most impressive games releasing in the coming months, and the fact that a relatively small team is developing it makes the next title by Remedy even more impressive.

The studio's Communications Director Thomas Puha revealed that the game is being done with about 130 people on average for about four years of development time. Considering how good the game looks, it is extremely impressive how Remedy has achieved this with a very small team compared to almost every AAA production.

I’ll also say that somehow we are getting this game done with about 130 people on average for about 4 years of dev time (dev time is a very elastic term tho) for the quality level we got, is incredible. We are very, very far from 1st parties or other big studios resources.

In addition, Alan Wake 2 was developed under some difficult conditions, which made it the toughest game developed by Remedy. During these years, the studio had to deal with the difficulties of the pandemic as well as the challenges that came from the studio going through its biggest transformation in 28 years of history.

D

Deleted member 223

Nice to hear. Games are not managing scope well these days which results in overgrown dev teams and massive budgets requiring huge sales receipts. Refinement of concept and ideas also going out the window.

Only mishap I've seen so far regarding this game's release is the decision to do a digital only release. I'm in their intended target market and prime consumer, and I ain't gonna buy it Day 1 due to that decision. I'm still 90% physical, except for DLC and indies that don't ship otherwise (Cuphead for example). I'm sure Epic Games offered them a good publishing deal compared to others but it's what it's. I still hope they announce a physical release down the line with some other pub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Absolutely loved Control and will play the First Alan Wake in anticipation for this

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
I like the look of this one but Alan Wake 1 looked like the most boring shit ever. Will I need to play that

Reactions: Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I like the look of this one but Alan Wake 1 looked like the most boring shit ever. Will I need to play that

Problem with Alan Wake 1 was that by the time it was released the game felt dated, boring and repetitive.

It looked great at the first reveal.

Unfortunately dozens of games came out before it which did things better.