Alan Wake II: Review Thread - Nightmares Exist Outside of Logic. Reviews are in and "horrifying".

What do you think it will score?

• Total voters

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1697981297032.png

Alan Wake II is an upcoming survival horror game developed by Remedy Entertainment and published by Epic Games Publishing. A sequel to Alan Wake, the story follows best-selling thriller novelist Alan Wake, who has been trapped in an alternate dimension for 13 years, as he attempts to escape by writing a horror story involving an FBI agent named Saga Anderson. The game is scheduled to release for PlayStation 5, Windows, and Xbox Series X/S on 27 October 2023.

No physical release. See bottom link for edition explanations:

Trailers:

Previews:

Reviews:

1698345928807.png

1698346033920.png

IGN
Tristan Ogilvie
IGN
Top Critic

9 / 10.0

Oct 26, 2023
Alan Wake II is a superb survival-horror sequel that makes the cult-classic original seem like little more than a rough first draft by comparison.
Read full review
Mark Delaney

Mark Delaney
GameSpot
Top Critic

10 / 10
Oct 26, 2023
Remedy delivers its greatest game to date by turning a long-awaited sequel into a uniquely meta multimedia masterpiece.
Read full review
TheSixthAxis
Nick Petrasiti
TheSixthAxis
Top Critic

10 / 10
Oct 26, 2023
Just as it gives equal screen time to its two protagonists, Alan Wake 2 is a fine blend of equal parts narrative and survival horror. Both aspects are brought together in brilliant fashion to create a game that is going to mess with your head, scare the hell out of you and make you grin about it as you plunge forward once more, eager to see what's next.
Read full review

VG247
Kelsey Raynor
VG247
Top Critic

Oct 26, 2023
In a superb blend of reality and fiction, Alan Wake 2 will earn its place as one of the best horror games out there.
Read full review

God is a Geek
Lyle Carr
God is a Geek
Top Critic

9.5 / 10.0

Oct 26, 2023
Alan Wake 2 is a spectacular sequel that was more than worth the wait, with a story that simply has to be experienced to be believed.
Read full review
Attack of the Fanboy
J.R. Waugh
Attack of the Fanboy
Top Critic

Oct 26, 2023
Everything, down to the puzzles, feels appropriately placed. That's before even acknowledging the gorgeous cast of actors involved in the project and the truly compelling story that unfolds for Alan as well as Saga, who each gain an interesting presence in Bright Falls and the world beyond. It doesn't feel like the most satisfying combat, and it's rather easy to beat, but this is also exactly what I wanted and more from an Alan Wake sequel. It is also the best original horror game of 2023 by a wide margin, and a damn fine video game overall.
Read full review
GamingTrend
David Burdette
GamingTrend
Top Critic

90 / 100

Oct 26, 2023
There is nothing you'll play this year like Alan Wake 2. The choice of two protagonists works wonderfully, with an interwoven plot that is Remedy at their best. I love the twists and turns it takes, with an incredible atmosphere set that boosts everything it touches, including the combat. Alan Wake 2 is breathtaking both visually and audibly, whether in Bright Falls or The Dark Place. Our departure thirteen years ago is long forgotten; Alan Wake's return is a triumph.
Read full review

Wccftech
Francesco De Meo
Wccftech
Top Critic

9 / 10.0

Oct 26, 2023
With its excellent trippy horror story, memorable characters, amazing atmosphere, and some of the best visuals in gaming to date, Alan Wake II is a game like few others and Remedy Entertainment's best. It took 13 years for the acclaimed writer to come back, but the long wait was worth it. We could have hardly wished for a better sequel, despite the derivative survival horror gameplay holding the experience back a bit.
Read full review

COGconnected
Mark Steighner
COGconnected
Top Critic

90 / 100

Oct 26, 2023
Quote not yet available
Read full review

Atomix
Alexis Patiño
Atomix
Top Critic

87 / 100

Oct 26, 2023
Alan Wake II is the sequel we were waiting for. Unfortunately, it took thirteen years to find out what happened next in this story. The technological advancement is impressive, the graphics, the music, and the sound are stunning, and it couldn't have been released in a better season.
Review in Spanish | Read full review

SECTOR.sk
Matúš Štrba
SECTOR.sk
Top Critic

9.5 / 10.0

Oct 26, 2023
When it comes to Alan Wake 2, there's no need to hold back on the superlatives; every single one of them is well-deserved. But if I had to pinpoint one element that truly captures your attention, it's the extraordinary storyline.
Review in Slovak | Read full review

VGC
Jordan Middler
VGC
Top Critic

Oct 26, 2023
Massively confident, often groundbreaking, and full of surprises, Alan Wake 2 is Remedy at its very best. The shooting isn't stellar, but Alan Wake 2 is otherwise a horror thriller that shouldn't be missed.
Read full review

Marco Cocomello
Marco Cocomello
Glitched Africa

8 / 10.0

Oct 26, 2023
Alan Wake 2 is a visual and technical showcase that brings some fresh ideas and mechanics to the series. Some evolve into fun activities while others get repetitive. The game is also marred by some awkward live-action sequences that feel out of place. But there's no doubt a captivating horror to enjoy under the surface. It is the strangest game you'll play this year in all the best ways.
Read full review

Nexus Hub
Sam Aberdeen
Nexus Hub

10 / 10.0

Oct 26, 2023
Alan Wake 2 is an innovative, bolder, and scarier sequel that pushes the survival horror genre forward. Remedy have turned its strangeness dial to 11 and it's magnificent.
Read full review

Review embargo date: Oct 26,2023

Will update when scores begin coming in.

Attachments

• 1697980621586.png
    1697980621586.png
    155.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 1698328206439.png
    1698328206439.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 1698328303308.png
    1698328303308.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'm hoping it's better than Alan Wake 1 since i loved Control, the gameplay in Alan wake was so bad and tedious. It really did not age well and got old really quickly
You know I haven't played any of them and I need too bcus I love horror and Resi Evil Type games.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
You know I haven't played any of them and I need too bcus I love horror and Resi Evil Type games.
The world of Alan Wake was interesting in itself, i liked the locations and being a writer myself found the story ok, the combat, however, got stale really fast, you needed a flashlight or flares to make the enemies vulnerable and sort of repeated itself to the end

The exact opposite for me with Control. It had really good powers and the combat felt especially good but the world itself, the environment was boring, bland and almost sterile in their founding,

Hopefully, there will be a balance between the two.

Alan wakes Dlc was utter garbage.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The world of Alan Wake was interesting in itself, i liked the locations and being a writer myself found the story ok, the combat, however, got stale really fast, you needed a flashlight or flares to make the enemies vulnerable and sort of repeated itself to the end

The exact opposite for me with Control. It had really good powers and the combat felt especially good but the world itself, the environment was boring, bland and almost sterile in their founding,

Hopefully, there will be a balance between the two.

Alan wakes Dlc was utter garbage.
Alan Wake always gave me Resi Evil new reboot vibes, is it similar?

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Alan Wake always gave me Resi Evil new reboot vibes, is it similar?
i guess at a fundamental level of monsters coming at you, yes, but the game is vastly different.

Resident Evil has those fun RPG elements to it, Alan Wake is more of a focus on the story discovery aspect to it,

Alan Wake is a decent game but it is in no way a masterpiece, I personally think it's been very overhyped for what it was, 8/10 game for me.

The second game from early reviews I have watched seems to be much much better.

• Shake
Reactions: Box and Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
i guess at a fundamental level of monsters coming at you, yes, but the game is vastly different.

Resident Evil has those fun RPG elements to it, Alan Wake is more of a focus on the story discovery aspect to it,

Alan Wake is a decent game but it is in no way a masterpiece, I personally think it's been very overhyped for what it was, 8/10 game for me.

The second game from early reviews I have watched seems to be much much better.
Thanks.

• Heart
Reactions: Sircaw

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I feel so sad for this game. Everything is working against it.

Alan Wake was one of my best gaming memories. I remember playing the game and stopping every few hours to read the guide. The guide was written like a story. It was so cool. I still have the collector's edition 😎

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Well, it won't have first party buff/debuff but some PC points will be added. It all depends on how it runs and looks. Loved the first Alan wake but more than a decade passed.

I think 80.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I'm going for a safe 81-90. I hope it does well... but I like the concept of Control far more.

I wish they expanded the world of Control more and had some new awesome characters and locations.

I am looking forward to the Max Payne remakes though.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I'm going for a safe 81-90. I hope it does well... but I like the concept of Control far more.

I wish they expanded the world of Control more and had some new awesome characters and locations.

doesnt T2/R owns Max Payne

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

I think a solid 88

Reactions: MiyazakiLovesKojima