Alex Donaldson: There is presently no active development on an Xbox version of Remake or Rebirth

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Alex Donaldson said:
I'll go ahead and just outright say that to my knowledge, there is presently no active development on an Xbox version of Remake or Rebirth. They will obviously eventually do it. But as far as being in active port development now, to my understanding, which I am quite confident in, they are not. People can believe that or not, obviously, but I'd argue I'm pretty trustworthy/on the money with SEJ stuff.

If I had to guess (and this part is speculation), they will likely focus on completing & shipping part 3 as a priority and then look at Xbox (and maybe Switch 2, who knows). What is true is that the SE attitude of judging exclusivity on a per-game basis (where PS/SW is the default and Xbox is an option) has softened and I'd expect most new stuff going forward to be on Xbox unless there's a good argument (or cash incentive) against it. But you build that into your development plan, whereas a late port of an existing game you need to find and allocate separate resources to do the legwork, which potentially takes away from other ongoing dev.

We also all need to understand that a policy shift like this takes time to trickle down -- IE there will be unannounced SE games that have been in development for ages that are on 'everything but Xbox' because their inception predates the new CEO and the strategic changes, and it doesn't necessarily make financial sense to pivot them late in the game. When these are announced it doesn't mean SE has abandoned its new Xbox parity thinking... though people inevitably will say it does. But the way we learn about things is not linear, ultimately -- so we learn about the strategy shift before we learn about some games that had their parameters set in the midst of the old strategy, etc.

This stuff obviously moves all the time, and things could've changed really recently and I could be wrong. Or Jez could be! But as it stands, I've heard absolutely zero about anyone on Xbox, anyway.

16 I think is more obvious and clear-cut... you only need to look at Yoshida's comments over the last six or so months. It's clear that will happen sooner rather than later.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Shut the hell up trying to discredit Jez, I would trust him with my life.

Kick Im Gonna Kill You GIF by Film Riot

2 Jun 2024
Shut the hell up trying to discredit Jez, I would trust him with my life.

Kick Im Gonna Kill You GIF by Film Riot
really going to trust someone saying Xbox exclusives weren't coming to PlayStation and then they just dropped 4 of there games and Indiana Jones and they were working on them games in secret while jez cordan was saying it they've been asking since release and it didn't happen

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
1 -The game is old
2- Square already confirmed they would be going multiplatform

Either way, i think it's too late by ths point, who wanted to play the game probably already played it on PC and PS5. They should aim for Part III to be fully multiplatform.

The only way i can see this being benefitial for Square is if they release the game on Game Pass.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
really going to trust someone saying Xbox exclusives weren't coming to PlayStation and then they just dropped 4 of there games and Indiana Jones and they were working on them games in secret while jez cordan was saying it they've been asking since release and it didn't happen
I was being sarcastic.

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
When FF7 Remake part 3 exclusivity expire on PS5 PC will get it as usual but then Square will probably shift their attention to Switch 2 for the trilogy being ported over there. Will the trilogy come to Xbox yeah it's possible but if you're Square and you're looking at Switch 2 and the Series what would you go with first? It's pretty obvious.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Alex Donaldson was not in the room while Kiryu, Jez and Phil were having a threesome so he doesn't know 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Puff

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
If I had a dime for everytime Jez said Remake was coming to Xbox I'd be a wealthy man. Every few months he does this and it's getting old.

Reactions: Lersds

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
When Square-Enix released the VII Remake PC Port it was like they just shat out a UE4 PC export without doing any tweaks to it anyways

So Jez and Alex could both be right. Also, another strong possibility:
Its already done!!

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Era didn't even put a thread marker on that very important post. They want to feed into the bullshit and false narratives that are positive for Xbox but negative for PS5.
Thats why that place called xboxera now

I thought most people already know