Amazon’s gaming division is laying off over 100 employees

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Fs9daYiXwAQohCZ

Amazon has announced plans to cut over 100 employees from its video games division.

In a memo to staff obtained by CNBC, Amazon Games vice president Christoph Hartmann said the layoffs would be spread across the company’s Game Growth group, its San Diego development studio, and Prime Gaming.

Some employees will also be reassigned to other projects “that match our strategic focus“, he said.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Amazon's gaming plans never really made sense. the survivors should consider themselves lucky (and update their resumes for the inevitable.)

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Making games is very hard.... look at Microsoft, been at it for decades and still have massive troubles.

If you don't manage things well, it becomes very costly and it takes so long, the game might not be what people want by the time it comes out.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Making games is very hard.... look at Microsoft, been at it for decades and still have massive troubles.

If you don't manage things well, it becomes very costly and it takes so long, the game might not be what people want by the time it comes out.
Even if the game turns out well, is it really going to impact sales/retention of Prime. I think not...

It was a good game for launch year(ish,) but I couldn't possibly recommend it to anyone now, not over the other HD2D games, not over other RPGs in general.

Edit: FFS, that was supposed to be added on to my post about Octopath in another thread.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75