Ascendant Studios has reportedly furloughed majority of its staff

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
immortals.jpg

In a recent post on LinkedIn, Morness claimed the furlough has affected "around 30 folks." This was further corroborated by Polygon's Nicole Carpenter, who added the studio had yet to comment on the matter.

However, a recent employee post possibly indicates something about the studio's future. Just yesterday (April 9), level designer Chris Herrin said he was looking for work.

via Gamedeveloper

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
But based Larian man said that layoffs weren't ever necessary???

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Based Larian man was ultra lucky with their latest release. If it wouldn't have been the case, he'd have fired people like everyone else.
Lucky? Wtf is this nonsense?

There is no luck. It is hard work and dedication. They are making great games for years.

This game is below mediocre and released in bad time.
They also has no huge publisher backing, so yeah, they had to release some people to keep studio afloat, this is not like other firings where they do maximize profits, not to survive.

So yeah, Larian was right.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Those cuts were due to Immortals' poor launch sales. While EA hasn't commented on its performance, director Bret Robbins told Remap Radio in February sales were improving, though he acknowledged it maybe shouldn't have launched at $70.

sounds like they're learning their lesson about launching new IP at premium prices without any name cache. Although EA being EA I doubt it would've mattered.

Wing84

7 Feb 2024
Exactly.

Easy for the Larian CEO to say when his studio is in a comfortable position after the success of BD3.
I know there are defenders of literally everything, but ugh. Do we really need to go against the position of anti-corporate greed?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Larian was kickstarted no? I find it a bit reckless to assume that studios can operate like they have. Also… their success is a unique situation unto themselves ya know.

Immortals never had a shot. It was destined to flop and I think most knowledgeable gamers saw it coming from the day it was revealed.

It was nice for EA to try with smaller games … but … ehhhh.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I know there are defenders of literally everything, but ugh. Do we really need to go against the position of anti-corporate greed?

Not defending anything.

Just stating the obvious.

Developers/Publishers are businesses not Charities.

If BD3 was a commercial failure, Larian would be doing the same.

Reactions: Zzero

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Yes, we do. A lot of the criticism of layoffs is unfair and comes from people who don't know the business of games or, really, anything.

These people aren't working for nothing, they do have to be paid from somewhere.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Yes, we do. A lot of the criticism of layoffs is unfair and comes from people who don't know the business of games or, really, anything.

These people aren't working for nothing, they do have to be paid from somewhere.
Yes, m$ with ten of billions profits hurting a lot.
Wtf are you even talking? Most of these companies aren't in bad situation at all, actually opposite.

Yes, there are smaller teams but no one says anything about them because they are in sensative situation, that is a given.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Wtf are you even talking? Most of these companies aren't in bad situation at all, actually opposite.

Yes, there are smaller teams but no one says anything about them because they are in sensative situation, that is a given.
You could say the same of Sony, and indeed I do (of both of them, and the other big ones.) They are trying to maintain profitability and as a reaction to the ill-advised over-hiring of the past few years that means cutting fat.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
You could say the same of Sony, and indeed I do (of both of them, and the other big ones.) They are trying to maintain profitability and as a reaction to the ill-advised over-hiring of the past few years that means cutting fat.
Sony no exception. Shit heads.

Cutting fat, then after 2months, hiring people again. So growing fat again 😂

They fired people not because they are hurting but for profits to shareholders.
By doing that, they release thousands of people and lowering salaries by rehiring, again, making money out of people.

So harder to live for people that very few could have planes and yachts.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Agree about smaller teams but even the big companies aren’t charities.

Even if they are in profits.

If a studio or individual isn’t needed they aren’t gonna continue paying them.

Does anyone blame Sony for closing London Studios for example who have been non existent for 5 years.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They try to maintain excutives bonuses.