Assassins' Creed Shadows Sales are strong, reiterates Tom Henderson

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
In May, journalist and insider Tom Henderson said that pre-sales of Assassin's Creed Shadows were going very well, even before the game had received its first gameplay.

Tom Henderson decided to weigh in on the subject after Ubisoft's shares fell amid the slow release of Star Wars Outlaws, combined with the disappointing performance of XDefiant.

• haha
Reactions: Nym and Airbus

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
In May, journalist and insider Tom Henderson said that pre-sales of Assassin's Creed Shadows were going very well, even before the game had received its first gameplay.

Tom Henderson decided to weigh in on the subject after Ubisoft's shares fell amid the slow release of Star Wars Outlaws
The recent big-sized AC games old over 20M each, so pretty likely Shadow will too since it uses the most requested setting. And well, the controversy is giving/will give it even more visibility.

Outlaws has been among the top positions of the PSN and Amazon stores of the main countries since before release, its sales have not been slow at all.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
AC Shadows will do great numbers. Outlaws has probably sold well but not at the level Ubisoft needed due to it being a licensed IP which considering the IP, it's going to be expensive. Ubisoft needs to get away from the licensed IP's especially when they don't own them and get back to the games they did on PS4/XBO. A new Far Cry game, a new Ghost Recon Wildlands game, Division 3 next gen, etc.

I am way more hyped and interested in Shadows than I ever was in Outlaws. And even if it disappoints me, im playing via Ubisoft+ so no biggie.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Pre-orders maybe "strong", Any semi popular IP can get 1 million in pre-orders and those pre-ordering ubisoft games can't be saved but it is delusional to think shadows will do 10-15 million by march of next year.

Ubisoft needs 20 million sales to hit their projected revenue targets and outlaws was revised down to 5 million copies by june 2025 so that means shadows needs to sell 15 million copies in 3 months. I hope people wait for discounts so they miss revenue targets and the stock tanks further

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Cope harder 😂 preorders are so good that they hided those even from shareholders 😂

Agreed. If pre-orders for Shadows were so strong the numbers would have come up to ease the tensions among investors who are losing money badly and calling for the company to go private.

Also, Tom Henderson's own website posted this article just a month and a half ago where they quote Guillemot saying this:
What we are factoring in is a strong launch for Star Wars Outlaws. That’s the fact that it’s among the most awaited games of the industry this year and reflecting a really strong positive community sentiment, and also the fact that we are coming with the biggest marketing campaign ever so far for a Ubisoft game.

In July 22 they already had preorder numbers and they knew they were weak. Guillemot lied about Outlaws and they probably will lie about Shadows as well.

Shadows might be getting "strong" preorder numbers compared to many other less popular franchises, but there's no guarantee they're anywhere near the usual numbers for Assassin's Creed.

• fire
Reactions: Nym

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
I'm curious to see how Ubisoft+ will affect sales figures. For Outlaws, I treated myself to a month of Ubisoft+ on Xbox. I know several people on PC and Xbox who would rather have invested 18 euros instead of 100+ euros to be able to play it sooner, and quite a few were glad they didn't buy it. The new AC is currently on my shopping list, but I'm not sure yet whether I won't play it for a month with Ubisoft+ and then buy it for 30 euros a year after release. Not only do Ubisoft games drop in price quickly, they're often not ready at launch or features are added later. Ubisoft can count themselves lucky not to have Ubisoft+ on Playstation, otherwise the numbers would probably be pretty modest. I'm surprised that it's not being discussed more publicly. Everyone knows by now that the Gamepass doesn't lead to more games being sold, and it will be no different with Ubisoft+. The difference between Gamepass and Ubisoft+ is that many of the Xbox titles are more price-stable. Starfield or FH5, for example, were not offered with such discounts a year after launch as most Ubisoft games. Ubisoft games are usually reduced by 40% in sales within 6 months, if not even more, like Prince of Persia or Skull & Bones. Outlaws is guaranteed to be sold for under 50 euros during the Black Friday sales. I still don't fully understand Ubisoft's strategy, and they probably don't themselves. Perhaps they were inspired by MS and jumped on the service bandwagon too quickly.