Axios: Xbox plan around buying Activision is to put PlayStation out of business

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The cat is out of the bag but we all knew that already. Journalists are talking about Xbox true colors finally.

Driving the news: In an appeal to the U.S. 9th Circuit Court, lawyers representing a group of gamers suing to block the deal over antitrust concerns point to a purported internal Microsoft email they describe as “uncontroverted evidence that Microsoft had the intention to put its main competition, the Sony PlayStation, out of the market.”

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
1687295636406.png

In an appeal to the U.S. 9th Circuit Court, lawyers representing a group of gamers suing to block the deal over antitrust concerns point to a purported internal Microsoft email they describe as “uncontroverted evidence that Microsoft had the intention to put its main competition, the Sony PlayStation, out of the market.”

• The contents of the message are redacted, but the plaintiffs say it was sent by Microsoft’s head of Xbox game studios (Matt Booty) to Microsoft’s chief financial officer for Xbox (Tim Stuart).
  • The passage appears to be from Exhibit K, a sealed document that the gamers’ lawyers and Microsoft’s attorneys have been arguing over.
  • In legal documents, Microsoft characterized the email as an “internal exchange” that should remain sealed; a Microsoft rep declined to comment further.
  • Microsoft's lawyers have said the document has had no bearing on the court’s decisions.

Posted by Stephen Totillo.

This fact should be obvious to those in gaming, it is the second Publisher they have tried to consume entirely in just a handful of years. The unavoidable truth was that Microsoft wanted to carve out a monopoly and only Sony stood in their way. The red herrings and sharp left and right turns in Microsofts explanations for wanting this deal have been paper thin excuses.

They saw the possibility of gaming in a lockdown culture and wanted it all for themselves.

When things didn't seem to go their way, they unleashed their economic, PR and media might to muscle it as far as possible. Senators sent to attack Japan about what console they favored, Turkey suing over not selling game codes in stores (information many years old)....

Last edited:

Dictattor

11 Jun 2023
This Booty guy must be really close with Jimbo, only then would you write an email like this.

OP
OP
Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
This Booty guy must be really close with Jimbo, only then would you write an email like this.
It's an internal email between Pig Booty and some other dude, not Jim Ryan but everybody knows that was the plan.

They said Google and Amazon were the real competition when the deal was announced but then they attacked Sony daily in the media for months and even went against them using politicians. Google and Amazon were never mention after that.

It was all about Sony.

catchew

8 Jun 2023
microsoft is just too tacky. i don't know how to put it without making an incoherent mess on why i dont like the company as a whole. let alone the xbox division,
i cringed everytime i read or heard them use the term "democratise" while gaslighting the industry as saviours.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
This reminds me of TNA Wrestling. Spike TV were showing TNA Impact TV show and one of their conditions was that Vince Russo was not to be involved with the show. So anyway Vince Russo was working in secret and accidentally sent the show notes to Mike Johnson [dirtsheet writer] instead of Mike Tenay [TV announcer].

Total Nonstop Asses.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Why should Xbox continue to exist as a brand? Why does Microsoft need to compete as a videogame publisher / 1st party? They're not even good at their bread (Halo) and butter (Gears of War) anymore. They bought Minecraft when it was already a global sensation (with a pricetag to match), and made some midshelf spinoffs with it. If Call of Duty became an Xbox exclusive brand, it would quickly become season 36 of The Simpsons. I think Blizzard would be effectively over as a coherent organization.

Gamers rejected Xbox 2 generations in a row. Their most competitive console only came out to a near draw, and was totally ignored in important regions like every other Xbox. Microsoft/Xbox used to be an innovator in online gaming, but they don't have an advantage anymore. Now they can only compete by buying major chunks of the industry.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Everybody possible should be ON the relevant people......

Messaging this shit to Phil Spencer and all the media that supported this deal.

The European Commission should be spammed along with Magarethe Vestiger, who obviously didn't do her job right. When the real intention is revealed and you couldn't read the tea leaves even though you're supposedly an expert.... then you should not be working there.

D

Deleted member 223

There is a sucker born everyday. It has been the OG plan since OG Xbox. Methods change, faces change, means change but the goals do not.

Anyone that understands big business competition (truly understands it beyond face value) knows this. It's the sheeple that for one reason or another argue against this reality, bicker etc amongst themselves over this or that.

Nothing changes.

D

Deleted member 223

"Exclusives are counter to what gaming is about" ....:ROFLMAO:

"I'm more excited about what we didn't show"....

"Our goal is not to put Sony out of the console market"....

Greatest hits on a loop.... 🎧

Black is white.