Baldur’s Gate 3 is 2023’s GOTY and at least 200K gamers are playing it at all times. BG2 is also riding this wave of popularity: 2023 has been a year

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
It's so fucking good, I'm close to buying games I know I'll regret like Pathfinder and Pillars of Eternity.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Throughout most of my life my favorite games were either Baldur's Gate or Half-Life. Never would've I have even dreamed of BG3 having such a glorious and unlikely return, specially after Bioware died.

I even like that I didn't play anything else by Larian before, made BG3 even more impactful for me. I also don't feel like playing the open access took anything away.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Throughout most of my life my favorite games were either Baldur's Gate or Half-Life. Never would've I have even dreamed of BG3 having such a glorious and unlikely return, specially after Bioware died.

I even like that I didn't play anything else by Larian before, made BG3 even more impactful for me. I also don't feel like playing the open access took anything away.
Haven't planyed any Baldur's so I'm interested.

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
undefined-Imgur.gif

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Damn third run? Thts me when I play Souls games :)
Third run when the first one alone probably took 150+ hours. I feel like I can still play hundreds more.

I can easily spend an entire afternoon just respecing my characters and coming up with new builds.

Gameplay, story, voice acting, visuals, it's all top tier.

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
To illustrate further the staying power and the word of mouth this game has had this I've got this image comparing the game with the last 3 big releases that managed 800k+ concurrent players at launch on Steam.

Data ends last 2 Sundays ago.

MMgxl04.png

BG3 has sold FAR less than the other games at launch, but the WoM the game has had gives it a much better player curve than the other games.
As you can see, only Elden Ring was having a similar curve until things diverged in month 3-4 and that was the only game people were talking about for almost the entirety of 2022.

For BG3 the first growth week on week(after months of being released on PC) was for the Patch 5 which introduced epilogues and the two new modes(hardcore and custom in which you can set all kinds of parameters you want for you campaign).
The second, was due to the GotY win at TGAs. And even Last Sunday, the game peaked at 201k~ which was a 1k drop off week on week, barely anything.
Considering

It's not only on Steam where BG3 is back at #1 with a the first -10% discount.
If you look at the US/CA/UK PSN Best sellers, it's #5-7. Granted, that's not the full picture as the other titles would still sell more than BG3, considering they also are being bought on store shelves(proven in part by the leak of the PlayStation games sales) but it's still mighty impressive for a CRPG that released all the way back on September 5 for PS5. This isn't solely recent because of the sale, it's been hanging around that #6-8 for the last 2 weeks post-TGA win.

We saw Bandai Namco say that their TGA win gave Elden Ring a sizeable sales boost in December and we are seeing the same here for BG3.
In fact it's seemingly looking like the effect is more pronounced for this game, probably because the game is in a much more niche genre and more people might've been finally willing to give it a try after the win.

Lastly, the game hasn't dropped outside of the Top 10 weekly best selling game on Steam since its release all the way back in the first week of August.

TL;DR Massive kudos to Larian on their well earned success.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
To illustrate further the staying power and the word of mouth this game has had this I've got this image comparing the game with the last 3 big releases that managed 800k+ concurrent players at launch on Steam.

Data ends last 2 Sundays ago.

MMgxl04.png

BG3 has sold FAR less than the other games at launch, but the WoM the game has had gives it a much better player curve than the other games.
As you can see, only Elden Ring was having a similar curve until things diverged in month 3-4 and that was the only game people were talking about for almost the entirety of 2022.

For BG3 the first growth week on week(after months of being released on PC) was for the Patch 5 which introduced epilogues and the two new modes(hardcore and custom in which you can set all kinds of parameters you want for you campaign).
The second, was due to the GotY win at TGAs. And even Last Sunday, the game peaked at 201k~ which was a 1k drop off week on week, barely anything.
Considering

It's not only on Steam where BG3 is back at #1 with a the first -10% discount.
If you look at the US/CA/UK PSN Best sellers, it's #5-7. Granted, that's not the full picture as the other titles would still sell more than BG3, considering they also are being bought on store shelves(proven in part by the leak of the PlayStation games sales) but it's still mighty impressive for a CRPG that released all the way back on September 5 for PS5. This isn't solely recent because of the sale, it's been hanging around that #6-8 for the last 2 weeks post-TGA win.

We saw Bandai Namco say that their TGA win gave Elden Ring a sizeable sales boost in December and we are seeing the same here for BG3.
In fact it's seemingly looking like the effect is more pronounced for this game, probably because the game is in a much more niche genre and more people might've been finally willing to give it a try after the win.

Lastly, the game hasn't dropped outside of the Top 10 weekly best selling game on Steam since its release all the way back in the first week of August.

TL;DR Massive kudos to Larian on their well earned success.
It's a great game. I played it but wasn't for me, however I will probably revisit next year or so, after they iron out even more kinks and after my partner finishes it, so we can play together.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
It's a great game. I played it but wasn't for me, however I will probably revisit next year or so, after they iron out even more kinks and after my partner finishes it, so we can play together.

Yeah, I forgot to mention, that's also probably another big factor why the concurrent players stat is staying so high.
The ability to play with up to 3 other people cannot be underestimated, especially when it's wrapped in the Dungeons & Dragons IP, which is obviously all about group play.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeah, I forgot to mention, that's also probably another big factor why the concurrent players stat is staying so high.
The ability to play with up to 3 other people cannot be underestimated, especially when it's wrapped in the Dungeons & Dragons IP, which is obviously all about group play.
The coop aspect is very true and fosters replay ability. I play Remnant over and over due to this.