Baldur's Gate 3 is the highest rated OpenCritic game of all time.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Capture_decran_2023-08-13_a_21.55.28.png

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I can only play it next month (since it's massive time sink apparently) but BG and BG2 are some of my all time favorite games and the beta for BG3 was crazy good. Even with all that my guess is that the score is too high but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I lived to see the day when Baldur's Gate came back, became the highest reviewed game of all time, one of the best selling games of the year, all while Bioware latest games were Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I expect that as more reviews come in, it will go down slightly, but massive achievement regardless.

97 OpenCritic / 40 critic reviews : Balder's Gate 3

94 OpenCritic / 252 critic reviews : God of War (2018)

More than 6 times the amount of reviews.

• Surprised
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I expect that as more reviews come in, it will go down slightly, but massive achievement regardless.
From what I see most reviews that come in are 10… so it won’t go down.

The early reviewers (that played very little of
The game) were the more harsh.

Reactions: Frozone

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
I'd rather see Baldur's Gate 3 in first place than this rip-off of Mario Odyssey.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Thief1987

23 Feb 2023

97 OpenCritic / 40 critic reviews : Balder's Gate 3
Almost half of these 40 are in-progress, so they are unscored. There are only 23 scored reviews.

• brain
Reactions: Ezekiel

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
There's a lot of recency bias in these ratings. I think the review market is flooded with paid influence operations now. Think about the commonly regarded best games of all time... now look at this list. All good to great games for sure, but they're all within the last 6 years. With over 50 years of video game history it is just impossible that the top 10 games of all time are all from the last 6 years (barring last of us remastered). I love BG3 and it's my personal GotY but it's not the best game of all time. in fact none of these top 10 games are my best game of all time.

Thief1987

23 Feb 2023
There's a lot of recency bias in these ratings. I think the review market is flooded with paid influence operations now. Think about the commonly regarded best games of all time... now look at this list. All good to great games for sure, but they're all within the last 6 years. With over 50 years of video game history it is just impossible that the top 10 games of all time are all from the last 6 years (barring last of us remastered). I love BG3 and it's my personal GotY but it's not the best game of all time. in fact none of these top 10 games are my best game of all time.
Ehm, it's opencritic, it barely exists for 10 years.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Actually gaming is a medium where new technology improves the experience dramatically. It makes perfect sense that recent games are better. There might be some who seriously think Ocarina of Time is the GOAT but they're wrong, plain and simple. The graphics and controls pale in comparison to today's titles.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
There are hardly any scored reviews still. It's like 20-25. On top of that, only some of them are counted.

I don't know how many it will get up to since it seems like PC games get less reviews than console games, but if you average out the current "scored" reviews, it actually comes out to 93 or so. I didn't even realize they were showing the "top critic" average review scores only, and not the actual averages for all the scores (this goes for every game on the site of course).

I think the game has a great chance at getting GotY at the only show that seemingly matters these days, but this jumping the gun on reviews for this game is some odd behavior. I mean I'm pretty sure I know why it's happening's but we have like 20 people's opinions causing people to say things like this lol.

I don't think a game should even be qualified to be counted unless it has some minimum number of scored reviews. Maybe 100. At such small sample sizes as we currently see in BG3, each score has just too much of an effect. But we will see where it ends up, or even how many reviews it gets.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Actually gaming is a medium where new technology improves the experience dramatically. It makes perfect sense that recent games are better. There might be some who seriously think Ocarina of Time is the GOAT but they're wrong, plain and simple. The graphics and controls pale in comparison to today's titles.
There are plenty of older games that are just as good as anything released today, if not better. Same as with books. Same as with movies. I completely disagree that "new technology improves the experience" is an axiomatic truth. I think plenty of things have gotten "worse" with "newer technology" and that covers a wide slice of society, video games included. Of course modern classics are still getting produced, but newer is never intrinsically better.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
There are plenty of older games that are just as good as anything released today, if not better. Same as with books. Same as with movies. I completely disagree that "new technology improves the experience" is an axiomatic truth. I think plenty of things have gotten "worse" with "newer technology" and that covers a wide slice of society, video games included. Of course modern classics are still getting produced, but newer is never intrinsically better.
For a medium where the means of production is evolving at a rapid pace, it is intrinsically better. No, unfortunately there are not games released 20-30 years ago that are just as good, if not better, than Elden Ring, RDR2, or Persona 5.

How are books and movies the same when the tech has largely remained static for centuries and decades, respectively?