Baldur’s Gate 3 (PC) surpassed Zelda: TOTK as the best rated game this year on Metacritic

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
baldurs-gate-3-dragonborn.jpg

hNrQeVH.png

• Baldur's Gate 3 is currently the highest-rated new video game release of 2023, earning near-universal acclaim.
  • Its story, gameplay, co-op support, and more have contributed to its high marks and popularity on Steam.
  • The game's overall review score of 97 makes it one of the highest-rated video games of all time, surpassing The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. However, the score may still fluctuate as more reviews are released.
Baldur's Gate 3 is currently the highest-rated new video game release of 2023, according to review aggregate site Metacritic. Baldur's Gate 3 has earned near-universal acclaim since it launched out of early access on August 3, with reviewers praising nearly every aspect of the game.

• Informative
Reactions: Zzero

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Would be cool if it stays that way but it will probably drop down to the low/mid 90s, like a 93-95

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Will lower with PS5 release as more knuckle-draggers will be exposed to this quality software.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's WAY too early to say this. There are only 14 reviews still. Again, like I pointed out in the review thread, just a few more reviews added on open critic and it's down to a 95. One review at a 90 or 85 with only 14 reviews will knock the average down a decent amount since each review adds so much to the average with so few reviews. And an 80 will hurt the score way more than another 100 will help the score (again, this is just how things work with high scoring averages).

Also note the "2023 Hall of Fame" on this link.

The game will surely finish in the 90s but a bit of jumping the gun on this one. Let's see where it lands after 100+ reviews. Not 14. :p

Reactions: Zzero

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's WAY too early to say this. There are only 14 reviews still. Again, like I pointed out in the review thread, just a few more reviews added on open critic and it's down to a 95. One review at a 90 or 85 with only 14 reviews will knock the average down a decent amount since each review adds so much to the average with so few reviews. And an 80 will hurt the score way more than another 100 will help the score (again, this is just how things work with high scoring averages).

The game will surely finish in the 90s but a bit of jumping the gun on this one. Let's see where it lands after 100+ reviews. Not 14. :p
Wrong, it was at 94 on OC before. It went up a point with more reviews.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

It went UP to a 95 not dropped down to a 95

I know because if it had scored a 96 we would have known it tied with zelda on opencritic

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Wrong, at launch it was a 9.3 and it's been climbing. Yesterday it was at 9.6 and now it's at 9.58 which i guess is rounded down to 9.5

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
It screams 10/10 so you'd hope the next 50-60 reviews keep it there. No reason this should score 90-95 when Divinity Original Sin 2 scored a 93 and this is Larian building on their strengths and reviving a beloved franchise.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Remij

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Ain't metacritic the site that has a couple of tony hawk games as the greatest of all time? I wouldn't worry about scores, just enjoy the game.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
One of the highest rated games of all time has only like 12 reviews so meta is highly flawed.