Based on rumors who here would buy Xbox X refresh console?

Who will be buying?

• Total voters

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
So after reading the rumors, who will buy the Xbox X new refresh console?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Why would anybody who does not already have a Series X console decide to get one because of the refresh? Assuming they did not already plan to get one, then it's different.

This refresh is a slim version of the console, nothing more... well I was gonna say nothing less, but it has no drive in it.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Sticking with the series X and with recent leaks, even that's off-putting.

Granted, I'm not interested in a PS5 refresh neither but at least that comes with a power boost as opposed to just a digital console.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
No disc drive is a hard no from me. You can't trust any first party to have exclusive distribution like that. Whatever costs you save skipping the drive, you'll make it back in like 4 games.

I don't want a PS5 Pro either, but it might be irresistable to federally fuck the Series S.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I don't understand releasing mid-gen refreshes when the two different performance sku's are contradicting each other. Aren't they better off trying to jump-start a new gen and get away from the S and X performance/parity issues all together?

I'd call the next singular sku mid-gen refresh or next gen jump-start console the "XBOX XS", clearly combining the two together and mentally moving away from that split development in mind, and XS could be good branding if they go with a power narrative again.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I don't understand releasing mid-gen refreshes when the two different performance sku's are contradicting each other. Aren't they better off trying to jump-start a new gen and get away from the S and X performance/parity issues all together?

I'd call the next singular sku mid-gen refresh or next gen jump-start console the "XBOX XS", clearly combining the two together and mentally moving away from that split development in mind, and XS could be good branding if they go with a power narrative again.

Jump starting is a tempting way out, but I think it would certainly tank the Xbox brand. Only a tiny audience would follow Xbox into a new rushed gen after 2 consecutive flops. At best, it would be another Dreamcast. IMO the only way for Xbox to continue is if they deliver great software in the 2nd half of the current gen, and then start the next one with strong popularity. That's how Sony rescued PS3 and set the PS4 up for dominance. This might mean risking/losing a ton of money on mega AAA development, or it could be a lot more Hi-Fi Rush level productions. It's an extra challenge for MS because they will have to execute on the Series S. For better or worse, it's the flagship Xbox.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Jump starting is a tempting way out, but I think it would certainly tank the Xbox brand. Only a tiny audience would follow Xbox into a new rushed gen after 2 consecutive flops. At best, it would be another Dreamcast. IMO the only way for Xbox to continue is if they deliver great software in the 2nd half of the current gen, and then start the next one with strong popularity. That's how Sony rescued PS3 and set the PS4 up for dominance. This might mean risking/losing a ton of money on mega AAA development, or it could be a lot more Hi-Fi Rush level productions. It's an extra challenge for MS because they will have to execute on the Series S. For better or worse, it's the flagship Xbox.
But that won't happen, Phill doesn't believe "making good games will lead to the playerbase coming".

Whilst Series S is an albatross impacting on Series X/multiplatform games needing to take it into account, they need to get away from it altogether.

X1X seemed to have gotten away with it. Massive power narrative, presented as like the new standard, not really as a pro mid-gen console? XB could just do that again and launch "next gen" early.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It is the same console if you already have a Series S or Series why may you buy the new one?

It makes even less sense than a mid-gen refresh.

Reactions: Zzero

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
No fucking way, lack of DD makes it worse than the current one.

Really, MS has been pushing the idea of iPhone style "no strict generations" for a decade+ now but are afraid to actually do it. This is the opposite of that, its a slim version in what I assume to be a less slim case (hard to tell since there's no scale shown on the image.) Looking at their slides its clear they are high on their own supply. That big long post I wrote about Xbox being in danger of death only reads more true looking over these slides and seeing how far offbase their projections have been vs reality in damn near every metric.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I wasn't sure what I would do with my XSX after Starfield, and then this most recent leak happened.

I'm definitely getting rid of it now. I don't want this thing anymore and, frankly, I feel embarrassed to have it in my house. I'll be back to just Sony and Nintendo soon enough.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
If this is accurate and the PS5 Pro rumors are actually true, this is bad news for the Xbox diehards that ran with the power narrative at the start of the gen
If this is accurate and the PS5 Pro rumors are actually true, this is bad news for the Xbox diehards that ran with the power narrative at the start of the gen.
Reality was already giving those dorks a good reaming without a PS5 Pro.

24 Jun 2022
100% nope. No disc drive = no-go. Microsoft forgets some of us still deal with data caps.

Also outside of a larger storage drive and Wifi 6E there are no notable improvements to the regular Series X. Though IIRC they sound like they'll allow for regular SSDs with this one?

Because if not, even more of a no-go.