‘Bioshock’ Film Adaptation Still in the Works With Scaled Down Budget

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Bioshock.jpg

Netflix’s film adaptation of the seminal video game “Bioshock” with director Francis Lawrence is being “reconfigured” to be a “more personal” film with a reduced budget, producer Roy Lee (“The Lego Movie”) revealed on Thursday during a panel at San Diego Comic-Con.

The adaptation was first announced Feb. 2022 as a partnership between Netflix and the game’s producers 2K and Take-Two Interactive. The first “Bioshock” game, released in 2007, is set in a vast underwater city called Rapture created in the desire to foster a utopia, but instead has fallen into chaos and violence. The game’s twist-filled narrative and vibrant philosophical worldview captured gamers imaginations; sequels followed in 2010 and 2013, and the series has sold more than 39 million copies worldwide.

Source

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I think a reduced budget might actually be a good thing. It means the producer is less likely to greenlight the project unless the story and screenwriting must be good because there's less visual spectacle to use as a crutch.

• brain
Reactions: 2spooky5me

jwardhany

Banned
29 Jun 2024
New Jersey
Interesting update! It's intriguing to hear that Netflix's adaptation of "Bioshock" is taking a more personal approach with a reduced budget. The original game's rich narrative and philosophical themes set in the dystopian underwater city of Rapture captured so many imaginations, so I'm curious to see how they'll translate that into a film. With Francis Lawrence at the helm and considering the game's legacy, this adaptation has the potential to offer a unique cinematic experience. Can't wait to see how it unfolds!

Last edited: