BioWare trusts its players and therefore Dragon Age: The Veilguard will not use Denuvo

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
At the same time, it was confirmed that Dragon Age: The Veilguard will be released on PC without any kind of DRM protection, such as the dreaded Denuvo, information that was welcomed by many gamers.

According to BioWare's executive producer Michael Gamble, it's because BioWare trusts the players.

In addition, responding to a user, he reinforced that the game will not have a mandatory online connection, but did not confirm whether the game will be released on the GOG platform, known for selling DRM-free games.

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Let's see how the sales will be and if they will regret or not that choice.

They are trusting something impossible to trust 🤷‍♂️
The human nature.

Not only no Denuvo but the game is a Native app on Steam instead of sending you to their EA app.
They're pulling all the stops. Tbh it's probably the right move when it comes to Bioware considering how players view them post Andromeda/Anthem, EA isn't very loved either.

It's also true that C/WRPGs are also one of the genres where you'd get the most pushback for things of that nature.
People are often judged against their peers and other big RPG studios like Larian Studios and CDPR don't use DRM and don't require you to make some sort of online account. It's a similar thing for smaller CRPG studios.

In general Bioware is more console centric than other big RPG studios, partly due to only the first game being available on Steam Day 1(DA 2/DA:I only were available on Steam since 2020). They also don't have much of a presence in Asia because older games didn't have translations for that many languages.

As an illustration of this last fact, The Veilguard is currently:

#17 in Canada
#26 in the US
#25 in the UK

#34 in France
#38 in Germany

Asia?

Not in the Top 100 in China
Likewise in Japan/South Korea/Taiwan, etc...

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
That's pretty darn cool of them. DRM sucks
I don't have any interest in this game, but happy for anyone else interested in buying this on PC.

23 Sep 2023
One usually protects something if it has value...
I can't imagine EA has any faith in this 'project' to be frank.
I can see them wanting to get Veilguard out the door asap and move on to the next thing.
Will Smith GIF

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Ah the dump and jump strategy. Dump a game of dubious quality on unassuming players and jump ship. Not investing in Denuvo is pig-headed when you've got something worth putting money into.

• haha
Reactions: Infinity

R4tion4l Sk3pt1c

31 Aug 2024
Denuvo hurts the performance of games and even when developers do add Denuvo it still ends up being cracked so the people who pirate the game essentially get a better version

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
That's pretty darn cool of them. DRM sucks
I don't have any interest in this game, but happy for anyone else interested in buying this on PC.
I've really been on the fence about this game. Obviously, I'm always onboard for a good RPG, but the gameplay they've shown didn't really draw me in the way I'd hoped. I bounced off of Inquisition (which I do feel I need to give a second chance at some point).

The way I'm feeling now is probably not Day 1, but if the public reception is really good, then maybe I wish list and pick up after a few rounds of discounting.