Black Myth: Wukong has broken all time concurrent player number record for a single-player game on Steam (EDIT: Currently 2nd most played)

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

#BlackMythWukong has broken all time concurrent player number record for a single-player game on Steam

bQ9K20Q.jpeg

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Is this game popping off in the Chinese market? Never would have guessed this game to do well.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
China is putting all their might behind this game and it shows.

It's 11PM EST and 3-5 AM in Europe and we're seeing these kind of numbers.
Also, it is currently 11 AM in China and the peak is in many hours...

Is this game popping off in the Chinese market? Never would have guessed this game to do well.

That would be an understatement.
Chinese netizens have rallied to the game to basically say: Our country can make those type of games, we're not just "LOL MOBILE".

It has been the highest followed/wishlisted game on Steam by far(perhaps ever?)

Reactions: Men_in_Boxes

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Lmao once again its proven that the pontificating pedoera tards don't know jackshit. These people never put their money where their mouth is always with the performative activism and moralism. Sony should take lessons from this and give what people ask for instead of giving developer activist slop from insoymniac and co.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
And now with this the PS5 sales will get a big boost, this shit is going to do rounds on tiktok and it doesn't hurt that the PS 5 version is so far good with the hour that I have played.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Lmao once again its proven that the pontificating pedoera tards don't know jackshit. These people never put their money where their mouth is always with the performative activism and moralism. Sony should take lessons from this and give what people ask for instead of giving developer activist slop from insoymniac and co.
This didn't really matter because it was always looking like(at least on Steam) this game was going to be like 80%+ sales in China and RotW 20%. This game is a triple AAA looking title from their own country with their own culture/mythology, it has never happened before.

Or as one poster on Era said, this is like Black Panther but for China.
Considering the size of their population...

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
This didn't really matter because it was always looking like(at least on Steam) this game was going to be like 80%+ sales in China and RotW 20%. This game is a triple AAA looking title from their own country with their own culture/mythology, it has never happened before.

Ahh so we are doing the "chinese" sales and rotw "sales" ha? I thought sales are sales. Black Panther for China lol way to generalize a whole fanbase but then again its the common mental gymnastics take from a pedoera user so not surprised.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
China is mainly pc and mobile. They don't really touch consoles. And black myth wukong is like the first triple A game from China that isn't mobile what so ever. Plus the reviews were good. Makes sense.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Evilnemesis8

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
very impressive. China is very strong on pc. I only thought Elder Scrolls 6 would take the crown on steam.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Ahh so we are doing the "chinese" sales and rotw "sales" ha? I thought sales are sales. Black Panther for China lol way to generalize a whole fanbase but then again its the common mental gymnastics take from a pedoera user so not surprised.

I am confused, why is it a bad thing that there's going to be a high ratio of Chinese sales?

I have been following this game for months on Steam:
Black Myth: Wukong weekly placements

China

Week of June 4th to June 11th - #1
Week of June 11th to June 18th - #1
Week of June 18th to June 25th - #3
Week of June 25th to July 2nd - #3
Week of July 2nd to July 9th - #5
Week of July 9th to July 16th - #6
Week of July 16th to July 23rd - #4
Week of July 23rd to July 30th - #4
Week of July 30th to August 6th - #3
Week of August 6th to August 13th - #1

Global

Week of June 11th to June 18th - #3
Week of June 18th to June 25th - #5
Week of June 25th to July 2nd - #13
Week of July 2nd to July 9th - #21
Week of July 9th to July 16th - #16
Week of July 16th to July 23rd - #19
Week of July 23rd to July 30th - #18
Week of July 30th to August 6th - #7
Week of August 6th to August 13th - #2

Black Myth: Wukong Benchmark review breakdown by language:

85.63% Simplified Chinese

Basically, you're talking to one of the guys who was well aware that this was going to happen unlike the vast majority of folks on most social media.
"Black Panther" for China is an apt description, I don't think you truly appreciate the cultural significance of this release.

very impressive. China is very strong on pc. I only thought Elder Scrolls 6 would take the crown on steam.

That game is not coming until at minimum something like 2029/2030.
Who knows what the landscape on Steam ends up being in the last few years. If we look at the Top 10 right now, it's pretty much all games released in the last 3-4 years and PUBG/CS2/DotA 2.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
I am confused, why is it a bad thing that there's going to be a high ratio of Chinese sales?

China

Global

Basically, you're talking to one of the guys who was well aware that this was going to happen unlike the vast majority of folks on most social media.
"Black Panther" for China is an apt description, I don't think you truly appreciate the cultural significance of this release.

Who knows what the landscape on Steam ends up being in the last few years. If we look at the Top 10 right now, it's pretty much all games released in the last 3-4 years and PUBG/CS2/DotA 2.
im talking about single player for concurrent players. Not online. Cyberpunk had the crown for 4 years.

Reactions: Evilnemesis8

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
im talking about single player for concurrent players. Not online. Cyberpunk had the crown for 4 years.

Ahhh, yeah that makes more sense.
In that case... Is the Witcher 4 going to come out before the release of ES6?
Because that one could also be at the top for a time.

But yeah I don't think any SP game coming out this year or the next is going to take the crown from Black Myth: Wukong.
Maybe there's some 2026 game but they haven't been announced yet.

-----

Also, the first hour reviews are up and its at 83% Steam rating with 1,107 reviews.
Most of the negative reviews are saying they can't play because the game keeps crashing.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Ahhh, yeah that makes more sense.
In that case... Is the Witcher 4 going to come out before the release of ES6?
Because that one could also be at the top for a time.

But yeah I don't think any SP game coming out this year or the next is going to take the crown from Black Myth: Wukong.
Maybe there's some 2026 game but they haven't been announced yet.

-----

Also, the first hour reviews are up and its at 83% Steam rating with 1,107 reviews.
Most of the negative reviews are saying they can't play because the game keeps crashing.
Witcher 4 is like 2 to 3 years away. So yeah it will come out before elder scrolls 6. it has a good chance.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024

China

Global

I appreciate the cultural significance of this and knew this would happen, my post was making fun of the fact that pedoera thinks only chinese can appreciate wukong or journey to the west, JTTW is popular in all the asian countries not just china. On the same note should we also start downplaying sales of TLoU and other so called progressive modern games that dont sell in japan and other asian countries?

If western game sells well > game is good even if the sales are concentrated in us/europe. If chinese game sells well in china > national pride. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of this

Reactions: CrackmanNL

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
That's great news for a PS5-console exclusive. They need the hype 😁

I'm also glad the Chinese don't give a fuck about the sexism cancellation nonsense.

And now with this the PS5 sales will get a big boost, this shit is going to do rounds on tiktok and it doesn't hurt that the PS 5 version is so far good with the hour that I have played.
I'm more worried about the difficulty. There's so many bosses I don't want to get stuck early. No way to cheat at all?

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024

Yup the Chinese Excellence crowd is coming through. I've been cringing at the same things a lot of Era people have been like that influencer guideline doc, etc.. but maybe I'll give it a shot when it's in a Steam sale for $15

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
That's great news for a PS5-console exclusive. They need the hype 😁

I'm also glad the Chinese don't give a fuck about the sexism cancellation nonsense.

I'm more worried about the difficulty. There's so many bosses I don't want to get stuck early. No way to cheat at all?
Its not that difficult to be honest so far, there is a rhythm to it and is faster paced compared to a dark souls/elden ring. I don't know about late game bosses but using transformations helps as you get 2 health bars and the early bosses are easy enough. I heard some bosses have different second phase depending upon how quickly you deplete their health.

I will try to post a detailed impressions list later but so far the game seems to measure up to the hype and much better than the usual ubisoft/western dev slop we get.

• Shake
Reactions: Gods&Monsters