Black Myth Wukong - one effect people never talk about

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I see a lot of discussion around Black Myth Wukong and some possible effects on the industry (partial woke rejection, Single Player AAA thirst from gamers, GaaS is very risky, etc).

One thing I never saw mentioned is how it demonstrates that the focus on known IPs, sequels, tie ins and what not is often irrelevant to a game's ultimate success.

As all gamers have known for a long time, games stand on their own, especially single player games.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I see a lot of discussion around Black Myth Wukong and some possible effects on the industry (partial woke rejection, Single Player AAA thirst from gamers, GaaS is very risky, etc).

One thing I never saw mentioned is how it demonstrates that the focus on known IPs, sequels, tie ins and what not is often irrelevant to a game's ultimate success.

As all gamers have known for a long time, games stand on their own, especially single player games.
Black Myth Wukong is based on one of, if not THE most recognizable IP in its most successful market, though. Journey to the West is like the Chinese/SE Asian version of the bible, or Shakespeare...Wukong is basically monkey superman

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Black Myth Wukong is based on one of, if not THE most recognizable IP in its most successful market, though. Journey to the West is like the Chinese/SE Asian version of the bible, or Shakespeare...Wukong is basically monkey superman
Agree on everything but it sold fantastic in the west as well, 2-3 million copies in launch week is terrific. Many western games would kill for 2-3 million opening also the next game Game Science makes will get so much hype and the sales are for sure to increase. Wukong did have the advantage of a confluence of events that set it up for success but if they didn't make a good game then everything would have been moot.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Wukong is all of these things??? Am I not understanding what you mean?

It's like the most well-known chinese IP ever.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
effects on the industry (partial woke rejection, Single Player AAA thirst from gamers, GaaS is very risky, etc).

I believe if there's any lesson being taken from 2024, it's that woke rejection isn't partial at all.
It's pretty much full rejection on a scale that we only ever saw with NFTs.

Devs and publishers who decided to fight on that hill are pretty much dying on that hill.

• party
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
OP
OP
Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Wukong is all of these things??? Am I not understanding what you mean?

It's like the most well-known chinese IP ever.
Not really, I mean, some people kind of knew about journey to the west, but I never heard anyone talk about that (I know some old arcade game that had the same theme).

I mean, it's there, but it's pretty far from the forefront when compared to other mythologies.

monkey-king-master-of-the-clouds-73499.jpg

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Hilarious how some people in the west are so ignorant of other cultures.

This would be like saying, Spider-Man proves that you don't need an IP to make a big game.

Even Dragon Ball is based on Journey West. It's also heavily influenced One Piece and was paid homage in Naruto.

Jackie Chan and Jet Li made a movie based on this IP.

Just a wildly ignorant thread. I'm sure Hogwarts Legacy stands on its own as well...