Black Myth: Wukong Tops 20 Million Sales

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Yicai) Sept. 20 -- Black Myth: Wukong has sold more than 20 million copies on leading digital distribution platform Steam just a month after the hit action role-playing game was released, getting over CNY6.8 billion (USD961 million) in revenue.

Black Myth: Wukong concurrent online players peaked at 574,000 on Steam over the past 24 hours, according to data by Video Game Insights released yesterday. The game has been positively reviewed by 95 percent of just over half a million users since its release on Aug. 20.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I beat this game recently, walked away feeling mixed. It's a visual and art delight, this game has best in class visuals and cutscenes 100%. The combat system is decent, and there's a good amount you can do with builds.

Where it fails is level design, and even boss design in certain areas. It's frustrating as hell to navigate, lost count how many times I got lost. While pretty much every boss is great to LOOK at ... to fight, not so much. bad hitboxes, 1 minute tantrum attacks, huge health pools, and to top it off they love to run away from the player.

Impressive debut but a mixed bag for me personally, to see this game top over 20 million in a month.... makes it bigger than any other souls game by a giant margin, will likely top 30-40 million lifetime which is pretty much Rockstar territory. I hope they use this success to iron out a lot of issues i have... they have big potential.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
How come we don't get any Western sources on this?

The "source" is actually western considering that article is just taking VGI's Steam estimates seen here.
One important note is that VGI overestimated how many copies sold on Steam before the 1st announcement of 10 Million and second one citing 18 Million(from the studio investor that helped fund the studio/game)

I don't think it's quite yet at 20M on Steam. Although, I'm sure it'll get there at some point.

The revenue estimations of $960M is probably a bit too high as well.

All in all, It's best to just wait for an official announcement from Game Science, I'm sure they'll give an update at some point.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
sorry, i misread. i came from different angle.

still, here, some little comment, most is not 95%, most is >50%. 95% is way better named as Significant.
I have seen statistics on Twitter, which showed Chinese players from Steam were over 90%. I will look for it.