Blizzard President Mike Ybarra Is Departing Microsoft, Survival Game Has Been Cancelled. New President to be announced next week.

TheLastOfSnatcher

6 Feb 2023
This probably one of the biggest red flags. I saw many predicting Mike was leaving (again) MS right after the ABK deal close. I guess it was true.

Reactions: Shadow2027

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well, to cancel a game is normal in gamedev. But I see Mike Ybarra is out too, maybe someone at MS axed him as a revenge for being a 'traitor' having left MS for Blizzard 4 years ago. Or maybe he left MS because he wasn't happy there and now MS did something else that he didn't like and left again.

D

Deleted member 223

Jim Ryan predicted this everyone owes that man an apology
giphy.gif

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Ybarra really really didn't want to work for MS anymore.

I can picture his reaction when the deal was closed.

Season 4 No GIF by The Office

Reactions: Shadow2027

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Well, to cancel a game is normal in gamedev. But I see Mike Ybarra is out too, maybe someone at MS axed him as a revenge for being a 'traitor' having left MS for Blizzard 4 years ago. Or maybe he left MS because he wasn't happy there and now MS did something else that he didn't like and left again.

Wasn’t he the biggest supporter of the acquisition?

Guy was losing the plot when the FTC were trying to block the deal.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Guy was losing the plot when the FTC were trying to block the deal.
I have no idea. Maybe he wanted to be acquired but someone at MS like Spencer or Bond didn't want to have him at Blizzard. Or maybe he personally didn't want to be acquired but publicly he defended the interests of his company.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

I have no idea. Maybe he wanted to be acquired but someone at MS like Spencer or Bond didn't want to have him at Blizzard. Or maybe he personally didn't want to be acquired but publicly he defended the interests of his company.

Biggest supporter because he knew the severance package was going to be nice when he decided to leave.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Per Jason Schreier on ERA

Odyssey was many years away from being done. More soon

6 years of dev time, Blizzard really can't release any new game within an appropriate timeframe anymore.

They've been doing "Blizzard Soon™" since Diablo 3, that's way before the rest of the industry started getting into the long development cycles.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I was looking forward to it. Honestly ABK is one of the most uninteresting gaming companies on the market now. Its just cod, diablo, overwatch, wow, candy crush. I doubt we see anything new from them anytime soon because they have to milk what actually works from them.