Bloomberg: Destiny 'Payback' was a spin off third person shooter, Final Shape didn't sold well, Bungie was planning to rebrand Destiny 2

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

One of Bungie’s big bets was Payback, an incubation project set in the Destiny universe that would shake up the formula in major ways, according to the people familiar. It would pivot from a first-person to a third-person perspective and allow players to use the franchise’s characters to explore a large world while cooperating to battle monsters and solve puzzles. The pitch took elements from popular games such as Warframe and Genshin Impact.

Although several internet rumors over the last few months have suggested that Payback would be a sequel to Destiny 2, it was a significant departure from the previous two games, according to the people familiar, and would have been perceived more as a spinoff.

But two months ago Bungie canceled Payback to prioritize games that were more imminent, moving the bulk of its team to Marathon, which is targeting a release in 2025.

The company also plans to continue updating Destiny 2, although it will no longer pursue regular paid expansions as it did in the past, according to the people familiar. During one recent meeting, a company leader told attendees that sales of each expansion had declined year over year, including June’s The Final Shape, so they would be moving away from an annual release model.

Some staff said they’re optimistic about the vision for Destiny 2 under new director Tyson Green, a Bungie veteran who took the helm earlier this year. In the coming months, the people said, Bungie will look to retain and attract players with smaller-scale content drops modeled after Into the Light, a well-received update in April that added a new mode to the game. Rather than selling this content, they said, Bungie will aim to release it for free along with overhauls to activities that it hopes will appeal to hardcore players. Other vague plans for the future include a storyline that will feature characters and worlds that Destiny has not yet explored.

Fans have wondered if Bungie might one day start anew with a Destiny 3, but such a project has not been in development, according to the people familiar. Bungie is instead looking to create a smoother onboarding process for Destiny 2, such as a rebranding, to attract new players who might be turned off by a game that can now feel impenetrable to those unfamiliar with its ample proper nouns.

Those left at Bungie will now have to make do with a smaller staff, tighter schedules and a company that looks significantly different than it did three days ago. Longtime veterans Luke Smith and Mark Noseworthy exited this week, according to the people familiar, as did several other top leaders, leaving lingering questions about the future of decision-making at Bungie.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Game as service at some point people will get tired. Fuck bungie just give me games with beginning and ending ffs

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ApolloHelios

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
I don't think gaas is the problem the issue is Destiny 2 is ten years old and they still released expansions for it long after its shelf life expired. They should have developed Destiny 3 to launch with ps5 and series x instead of porting D2 across.

Reactions: SLB1904

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Lightfall was the biggest expansion launch and TFS seems to have launched just short of it while having a bigger budget and longer dev cycle. Ltd will be a different story long term but out the gate matters too.

Interesting that Jason is saying the spin off studio of 40 is separate from the 155. He’s also reporting it’s project Gummy Bears restarted.

No word on Sony having taking over…?? I don’t see any management news etc. this sorta needs clarification.

Seems no intention to let off Destiny 2 either at any point…. The new model is to address flaws in operations up to now.

Payback being a tps hero shooter like genshin is wild tho. Fuck that.m

Last edited:

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
I don't think gaas is the problem the issue is Destiny 2 is ten years old and they still released expansions for it long after its shelf life expired. They should have developed Destiny 3 to launch with ps5 and series x instead of porting D2 across.
“I don’t think gaas is the problem but gaas is the problem” 😭

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony's Bungie sounds weird. It's like he's trying to put Sony there even if Bungie is a household name everybody knows 😒

Anyway, It's possible these ex-MS employees were sent by Phil to infiltrate Sony, cancel all the GAAS that had potential (TLOU) and greenlight the ones that were destined (hehe) to fail (Concord, Fairgames). They also cancelled their own games. A shit show.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Sony's Bungie sounds weird. It's like he's trying to put Sony there even if Bungie is a household name everybody knows 😒

Anyway, It's possible these ex-MS employees were sent by Phil to infiltrate Sony, cancel all the GAAS that had potential (TLOU) and greenlight the ones that were destined (hehe) to fail (Concord, Fairgames). They also cancelled their own games. A shit show.
Bloomberg is a business publication, most of its subscribers (stockbrokers and the like) aren't super familiar with names like Bungie.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No word on Sony having taking over…?? I don’t see any management news etc. this sorta needs clarification.
All ex-Bungie employees on twitter said it was all Bungie decision... Sony was not involved.
I don't know where this Sony taking over was made up.

It is Bungie pushing for better results (can it be for Sony pressure for better results? Yes... but Sony let Bungie independent to do what they thing is better).

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
All ex-Bungie employees on twitter said it was all Bungie decision... Sony was not involved.
I don't know where this Sony taking over was made up.

It is Bungie pushing for better results (can it be for Sony pressure for better results? Yes... but Sony let Bungie independent to do what they thing is better).

Well… I believe there is some truth in which gave us the creation of the new studio under direct PlayStation management. This is in essence Bungie under PlayStation management — a new studio attempting to resurrect the once temporarily shelved Gummy Bears. They gut out a piece of Bungie.

And yea, the layoffs are bungie’s decisions. Not Sony’s but they still have financial accountability and answer to SIE and did what was done to keep their current agency over business decisions.

My guess about the future made last night pretty much what’s going on. Drop the “2” when entering the next era for sure.

I’m sure someone will chime in with more fake news about Destiny 3 being developed still somewhere in secret … even tho there’s even more confirmation they’re just staying with and evolving the same game with no plans of a sequel whatsoever at this current time.

Last edited:
  • brain

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Well… I believe there is some truth in which gave us the creation of the new studio under direct PlayStation management. This is in essence Bungie under PlayStation management — a new studio attempting to resurrect the once temporarily shelved Gummy Bears. They gut out a piece of Bungie.

And yea, the layoffs are bungie’s decisions. Not Sony’s but they still have financial accountability and answer to SIE and did what was done to keep their current agency over business decisions.

My guess about the future made last night pretty much what’s going on. Drop the “2” when entering the next era for sure.

I’m sure someone will chime in with more fake news about Destiny 3 being developed still somewhere in secret … even tho there’s even more confirmation they’re just staying with and evolving the same game with no plans of a sequel whatsoever at this current time.
Maybe Bungie reported to Sony about the layoffs and Sony tried to minimize them talking some resources for themselves.
It is like Bungie saying "I don't need this guy anymore" and Sony "He is talented... let's see if I can fit him in a project here".

Of course Sony can't take all people that got fired but at least they found a new place to 195.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Maybe Bungie reported to Sony about the layoffs and Sony tried to minimize them talking some resources for themselves.
It is like Bungie saying "I don't need this guy anymore" and Sony "He is talented... let's see if I can fit him in a project here".

Of course Sony can't take all people that got fired but at least they found a new place to 195.

I see it as like collateral tbh. It’s all bit strange and without knowing what’s actually the plan.

Who’s actually in control of the purse here? It really does seem as if Bungie is funding their stuff based on Destiny money. Key difference in changing management. Development of this game will no longer be beholden to what Destiny or Marathon will make.

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Having sat on the leaks and the now the Jason report. Sorta not so concerned about the future of Destiny. Seems clear they’re just going to continue Destiny 2 and this model change may not be a bad idea at all and why not?

The sessonal model and live narrative they’ve done these last few years… it’s been the source of some memorable stuff with their cutscenes, dialogue and some activities now lost to time. This is kinda a waste.

The seasonal activities season to season are throwaway. They are of improving quality every year… but who cares — you don’t even need to play them for crafting blueprints once you unlock the ability to do so; needing to play any of them a handful of times if at all. The real meat and potatoes of the game are the dungeons, raids, exotic quests and PvP. This seasonal stuff is whatever and much of it also lost to time. Yet another waste.

Eliminating the 3 to 4 seasonal narratives, in addition to a full fledged expansion campaign … instead offering two dlcs closer to shadowkeep size a year…. Doesn’t sound too bad honestly. Much of the writing team was laid off. I can see why now… reduced scope. Instead of 4 to 5 stories a year … they’ll just do two.

There will be a reduction in loot made clearly. We get like two dozen new weapons or more a season. It’s kinda ridiculous at this point. Only a handful are truly meta and power creep the next year kills fhem off anyway or they’re rereleased some time later better than before. A waste… you can see the theme here. I never understood their obsession with non gameplay cosmetics like ghosts and ships having dedicated MT teams…. No way enough people are dumb enough to buy this stuff. Why make so much of it?

The seasonal stuff now being free to all. Also improves the f2p aspect of the game… which as it stands is sorta false advertising. It’s a launcher in reality and everything purchased a la carte. This remedies the convoluted purchasing issues currently.

The two seasons are separately launching (but not) alongside the two dlc content drops which will be narrative driven smaller dlcs than recent expansions. If like Shadowkeep size each… this may serve players well thru the year and reduce FOMO of the live narrative currently. It will have new locations etc… we know we are leaving the current Destiny galaxy completely … thus the codename Frontiers. This is indeed what is happening.

Dungeons and raids are still coming as well. It’s a redone service model wholesale. Seems clear the intention is to keep going with new player onboarding said to be a focus by Jason.

No Destiny 3. Just Destiny. Shared engine upgrades alongside Marathon should help. As would dropping last gen finally. But… they might just keep Switch 2 minimum spec if they’re looking to expand.

At this point I think a Switch 2 port is guaranteed to happen.

Last edited:
  • brain

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
For like the fire time ever… Paul Tassi actually wrote something good. Leaks seem to be accurate.

• The larger “content packs,” though not true expansions, will contain familiar elements like new destinations, raids and campaigns, just much smaller scale on the whole. Shadowkeep-ish size, maybe, though not that same format. A goal is developing more replayable, unique activities like The Coil. If we are leaving the system (my speculation) this is where we’d see those new worlds to visit. I am not sure if this is free.

• That will be the main release of a given year (I believe starting with Frontiers launch) and then six months later, there will be another “pack” of smaller content that’s more something along the lines of what we got with Into the Light. This should be free.

Generally speaking, the idea is less sprawling, one-off campaigns and a greater focus on replayable activities, the “hobby” aspects. With the new Frontiers format, there aren’t widespread updates that will hit every facet of the game at once like most expansions used to. It will be less than players are used to, not to say there will not be things worth playing

More Content Vaulting:
  • Even with updates, many tools are exhausting to use and everything takes forever. And if Destiny 2 content is still being added there will indeed be more vaulting for technical reasons alone, though whether the “no more expansion content vaulting” rule applies is unclear.

About the game now being made at PlayStation thru the new spin-off studio

• Have heard multiple people say that of all projects, Gummybears seems the most promising, the game that is going over to Sony under the new team. It has MOBA and Smash Bros-ish fighting game elements and is supposed to be very fun.

There were never plans for Destiny 3. Just more Destiny products. Payback was an action adventure game. Destiny 2 stays Destiny proper. A 3v3 PvP spin off. The mobile game with Netease. All were planned. Now it’s just Destiny Frontiers and Marathon.

Not just putting most of those ideas into Destiny proper would’ve been a mistake. I sorta prefer not seeing all these spin offs and branching it out. If this what Luke Smith was up to… that plan kinda sucked and glad it’s in the bin.

Story in video form:

Last edited:
  • Informative

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022

Come Again Marvel Cinematic Universe GIF by Leroy Patterson

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Nimbus was some creep’s sexual fantasy at Bungie. Dude is 12ft tall and they made sure for his codpiece to be thrust right in your face. He’s fetishized for sure.

Also the worst character in the game’s history and silently removed from the existencd.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
I would have played Payback not going to lie, I hope they come to their sense and develop/release it.