Bobby Kotick held a meeting today hosted by James Corden (?)

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

To that end, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick called an all-hands meeting with Activision-Blizzard-King staff today, hosted by none other than James Corden (no relation, I think) of Gavin & Stacey fame. During the meeting, Kotick reminisced about Activision's journey from independent, to being under Vivendi, and then to becoming a publicly traded company. Kotick also discussed future tech, namechecked Guitar Hero, and hinted about what the future of ABK's partnership with Microsoft may look like

James Corden asked how Kotick and ABK leadership will retain its culture, which Kotick repeatedly described as "magic" and "special" during the discussion. Kotick emphasized his belief that Microsoft wants to acquire the company for that "magic," represented in the 15,000+ staff within Activision, predicting that Microsoft will seek to maintain it moving forward.

"I think a lot [Activision's] motivation is that we have these enormous communities of players of 400 million people in 190 countries around the world who are engaged every single day," Kotick continued, "I think people [at Activision] feel this incredible sense of responsibility to deliver for their players. And so I think that's that recognition, and that appreciation, that the focus will be rewarded in the joy of hundreds of millions of people."

Changing gears a bit, Kotick was asked to look ahead to the future of gaming, and what it could mean for Activision and Microsoft as the firms team up. Kotick discussed machine learning and AI, but also emphasized the need to hire more writers, more actors, to meet the growing expectations of gamers. He also surprisingly namechecked Elon Musk's brain interfacing Neuralink as a potential way for interacting with video games, which he described as a "more visceral" medium than movies and other entertainment media.

Future gaming trends, ABK culture, and​

Blizzcon 2023 graphic with some popular Blizzard characters

Activision's gaming community is among the most passionate in the industry, with huge dedicated audiences across titles like Call of Duty and World of Warcraft. (Image credit: Blizzard Entertainment)

James Corden asked how Kotick and ABK leadership will retain its culture, which Kotick repeatedly described as "magic" and "special" during the discussion. Kotick emphasized his belief that Microsoft wants to acquire the company for that "magic," represented in the 15,000+ staff within Activision, predicting that Microsoft will seek to maintain it moving forward.

"I think a lot [Activision's] motivation is that we have these enormous communities of players of 400 million people in 190 countries around the world who are engaged every single day," Kotick continued, "I think people [at Activision] feel this incredible sense of responsibility to deliver for their players. And so I think that's that recognition, and that appreciation, that the focus will be rewarded in the joy of hundreds of millions of people."

Changing gears a bit, Kotick was asked to look ahead to the future of gaming, and what it could mean for Activision and Microsoft as the firms team up. Kotick discussed machine learning and AI, but also emphasized the need to hire more writers, more actors, to meet the growing expectations of gamers. He also surprisingly namechecked Elon Musk's brain interfacing Neuralink as a potential way for interacting with video games, which he described as a "more visceral" medium than movies and other entertainment media.

"If you look at the new technologies that are on the horizon, we're going to be able to do things that we've never done before with AI and machine learning. The quality of graphics are now elevated to a place where we're going to need more writing talent and more acting talent — because we won't be able to actually fulfill the expectations of our players." Kotick continued, "Games are always very different than film and television. In film and television, you are successful by creating a connection that's emotional between you and the audience — our experiences are more visceral, but it's changing. We have characters on the screen and video games who with mouth movements and facial animation that is realistic — you're going to have a new dimension of emotional connection that we've not yet mastered."

Kotick also discussed technological innovations, mentioning how mobile devices took gaming from a fairly expensive middle-class pursuit in developed nations in the early days, to a global phenomenon. Xbox lead Phil Spencer often talks about Microsoft's goal to reach all of the world's "2 billion" gamers, and mobile devices will naturally form part of that strategy. However, Kotick was also interested in discussing future tech, such as Elon Musk's Neuralink, as well as VR.

Activision's gaming community is among the most passionate in the industry, with huge dedicated audiences across titles like Call of Duty and World of Warcraft. (Image credit: Blizzard Entertainment)

Advertisement

BIG DEAL DAYS
Windows Central Amazon Prime Big Deal Days live blog

(Image credit: Windows Central)
Xbox accessories under $100
Xbox accessories under $75
The best gaming desktop deals
The best gaming laptop deals
Deals on PC parts under $100
Deals on PC parts under $75
Deals on PC parts under $50
Deals on PC parts under $25

Advertisement

"If you look at the new technologies that are on the horizon, we're going to be able to do things that we've never done before with AI and machine learning. The quality of graphics are now elevated to a place where we're going to need more writing talent and more acting talent — because we won't be able to actually fulfill the expectations of our players." Kotick continued, "Games are always very different than film and television. In film and television, you are successful by creating a connection that's emotional between you and the audience — our experiences are more visceral, but it's changing. We have characters on the screen and video games who with mouth movements and facial animation that is realistic — you're going to have a new dimension of emotional connection that we've not yet mastered."

Advertisement

Future tech, machine learning, and Guitar Hero​

Xbox Activision Blizzard

A mountain of franchises await Xbox Game Pass subscribers as part of this deal. (Image credit: Microsoft)

Kotick also discussed technological innovations, mentioning how mobile devices took gaming from a fairly expensive middle-class pursuit in developed nations in the early days, to a global phenomenon. Xbox lead Phil Spencer often talks about Microsoft's goal to reach all of the world's "2 billion" gamers, and mobile devices will naturally form part of that strategy. However, Kotick was also interested in discussing future tech, such as Elon Musk's Neuralink, as well as VR.

"I talked a little earlier about the physical experience of interacting with something on screen. I think you'll see things like Neuralink — you'll actually be able to interact with things on the screen, where there isn't a controller." Kotick continued that it might be a Neuralink, but also an earpiece, headset, or "some other type of sensor." Kotick began discussing how Microsoft Research could aid with this pursuit, while heavily hinting at Guitar Hero.

A big part of what I've seen in Microsoft is research. And they do development in areas that are extraordinary. And so being able to tap into their AI and machine learning capability, the data analytics, new ways of thinking about graphics — I just see unlimited potential for what we do," Kotick explained. "We're uniquely situated as a company because we have the very best franchises in all of video games."

Kotick looked ahead to the "next 10 years of gaming," reminiscing about transformative titles from Activision's back catalog like Pitfall, River Raids, and Kaboom! of decades past. Kotick also namechecked Guitar Hero, hinting that it's currently on the path to a revival: "The re-emergence of Guitar Hero and other things would not be possible without the different types of resources. And so, you know, just the endless possibilities for the future that are just incredibly exciting."

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Of course they're bringing back Guitar Hero, it's literally one of the safest old IP to bring back. They can monetize that in a GaaS model to the end of time.

Personally I'm gonna be a bit pissed if Sony, who put rhythm games on the map, literally do nothing in that space (preferably with Parappa/UmJammer but FantaVision and Amplitude could work too) when they could pioneer something really cool with a PvPvE live service action-rhythm game.

And a lot better than ABK (particularly under Microsoft) could.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Of course they're bringing back Guitar Hero, it's literally one of the safest old IP to bring back. They can monetize that in a GaaS model to the end of time.

Personally I'm gonna be a bit pissed if Sony, who put rhythm games on the map, literally do nothing in that space (preferably with Parappa/UmJammer but FantaVision and Amplitude could work too) when they could pioneer something really cool with a PvPvE live service action-rhythm game.

US management sacrificed some of those franchises for reliance on third parties. For example, Singstar was killed to appease Ubisoft.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022

Sony most certainly have changed tune when it comes to making ip that compete with their 3rd party partners. They know that right now they need to reestablish their fps and karaoke ip and compete directly with ubi, and ms and not give a single fuck who is offended, put all 3rd party partners on notice. Shit while at it make a gta competitor, let these pubs know if you going to build up ms and xb then we are going to compete against you for similar ip and the talent that makes these ip.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023
Wtf is this shit why is a so called 'journalist' asking how activision will retain it's culture & not calling him out when he describes said culture as 'magic' & 'special'
Simple its paid journalist that is only allowed to ask questions they were told to ask.

Reactions: Kokoloko

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023

To that end, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick called an all-hands meeting with Activision-Blizzard-King staff today, hosted by none other than James Corden (no relation, I think) of Gavin & Stacey fame. During the meeting, Kotick reminisced about Activision's journey from independent, to being under Vivendi, and then to becoming a publicly traded company. Kotick also discussed future tech, namechecked Guitar Hero, and hinted about what the future of ABK's partnership with Microsoft may look like

Advertisement

BIG DEAL DAYS
Windows Central Amazon Prime Big Deal Days live blog

(Image credit: Windows Central)
Xbox accessories under $100
Xbox accessories under $75
The best gaming desktop deals
The best gaming laptop deals
Deals on PC parts under $100
Deals on PC parts under $75
Deals on PC parts under $50
Deals on PC parts under $25

Advertisement

Advertisement

Future tech, machine learning, and Guitar Hero​

Xbox Activision Blizzard

A mountain of franchises await Xbox Game Pass subscribers as part of this deal. (Image credit: Microsoft)

"I talked a little earlier about the physical experience of interacting with something on screen. I think you'll see things like Neuralink — you'll actually be able to interact with things on the screen, where there isn't a controller." Kotick continued that it might be a Neuralink, but also an earpiece, headset, or "some other type of sensor." Kotick began discussing how Microsoft Research could aid with this pursuit, while heavily hinting at Guitar Hero.

A big part of what I've seen in Microsoft is research. And they do development in areas that are extraordinary. And so being able to tap into their AI and machine learning capability, the data analytics, new ways of thinking about graphics — I just see unlimited potential for what we do," Kotick explained. "We're uniquely situated as a company because we have the very best franchises in all of video games."

Kotick looked ahead to the "next 10 years of gaming," reminiscing about transformative titles from Activision's back catalog like Pitfall, River Raids, and Kaboom! of decades past. Kotick also namechecked Guitar Hero, hinting that it's currently on the path to a revival: "The re-emergence of Guitar Hero and other things would not be possible without the different types of resources. And so, you know, just the endless possibilities for the future that are just incredibly exciting."

>James Corden

Who? The fat guy?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Funny how Kotick talks about “magic” now, when he bragged for 20 years about how he made Activision a juggernaut by taking the fun out of game development.
his whole career is finding a hit and running it into the ground. activision is a real publisher for like 2-3 years at a time after their last golden calf is tapped out.

Reactions: Kokoloko and Dabaus