Borderlands Movie nuclear bombing at the Box Office ($110m budget vs $4m box office)

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
borderlandsa_64m8.jpg

Source

Proving less successful at that is “Borderlands,” Lionsgate’s long-gestating adaptation of Take-Two’s shoot-em-and-loot-em video game series. The feature took in a meager $4 million from 3,125 locations, even with increased ticket sales from play in Imax and other premium large-format auditoriums. The sci-fi comedy is in serious danger of opening below $10 million — a terrible result considering its production budget of $115 million. It could even be below director Eli Roth’s last feature, the modestly budgeted slasher “Thanksgiving,” which got to eight-digits in its debut last fall.

The writing has been on the wall for a while now with “Borderlands.” Now opening more than three and a half years after principal photography kicked off, the would-be franchise-starter has earned the worst critical response of any wide release this summer. Even franchise fans that prioritized seeing the feature as soon as possible are calling it a turkey (a terrible D+ grade on Cinema Score).

• haha
Reactions: Zzero

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I'm still baffled at them casting 60+ year-olds to play 20-30 year olds.

I wonder if it was some bad taste bet.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

I don't get, why they made comedy out of it too. More mature approach would have benefited more, not every film has to become some cringe fiesta.
Waterworld, Mad Max etc, it has crazy characters, still hold mature nature.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

Randy Pitchford is a known weirdo, you know who's also a man child? Eli Roth(the Director of the movie).
Also the Lionsgate execs have the sense of humour of a 5 year old.

Check this out:

Roth has a pet of his own — a French bulldog — who gave him the inspiration he needed when pitching a "Borderlands" movie to Lionsgate. "Whenever I take her for a walk and she has to go to the bathroom, she won't let me look at her," Roth explains in the latest issue of SFX magazine. "I have to look away because she gets really shy. But one day I filmed her. She had that shy look on her face and I was like, 'That's Claptrap.'"

Claptrap (voiced by Jack Black in the movie) is a clunky one-wheeled robot with a bubbly personality and yellow paint that makes him a convenient target for bored bandits on the rough-and-tumble planet of Pandora. After learning that Claptrap can be shot hundreds of times without dying, Roth considered the logistics of this and sold his movie to the studio execs with a scene where Claptrap has to expel the spent bullets from his rear with the shameful demeanor of a pooping Frenchie. "That was my pitch to Lionsgate. They were laughing so hard."

I mean.... What the fuck? :ROFLMAO:

Dudes with too much money and no taste and/or personality.