Bungie is collapsing (Not really) - Youtube Video

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

Sony definitively overpaid for overrated Bungie.

sony said it was because Bungie's GaaS expertise....maybe, I guess. I think it was also because sony didn't have an active FPS in the market.

i would've invested 3B in Epic (if it was about GaaS expertise).

But this happens when you get caught with your pants down and nothing to clean your ass.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Collapse?

More like growing from 600 to 1500.

Destiny gamers favourite past time is complain about Destiny.

Don’t like the game then don’t play it.

They won’t do that but simply want Bungie to cater to their individual needs.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
All of this is very old information, much from that GDC presentation.

Destiny is doing very well, the collapse was back in 2018 and they have recovered. The monetization is a little overboard.

The Witch Queen was not over-delivery, that was in line with what they want to deliver consistently, so he got that wrong.

The last expansion was bad but they do sometimes have a bad expansion, it's happened many times.

Announcing a 'collapse' is alarmist nonsense that has nothing got to do with current Bungie.

Anyway, Marathon is on the way..... and Destiny will always be around. (Hopefully they include dungeons with the expansions and lower monetization)

Reactions: Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
All of this is very old information, much from that GDC presentation.

Destiny is doing very well, the collapse was back in 2018 and they have recovered. The monetization is a little overboard.

The Witch Queen was not over-delivery, that was in line with what they want to deliver consistently, so he got that wrong.

The last expansion was bad but they do sometimes have a bad expansion, it's happened many times.

Announcing a 'collapse' is alarmist nonsense that has nothing got to do with current Bungie.

Anyway, Marathon is on the way..... and Destiny will always be around. (Hopefully they include dungeons with the expansions and lower monetization)

Not to forget Gummy bears.

Of course Destiny players want their individual needs to be met.

I have never seen such a group of players who won’t stop playing the game yet complain about it constantly.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Destiny is just ok. Probably the best FPS gamepad feel in the world, with bullet-spongey enemies and not much strategy in my experience. Similar problems as Starfield when it comes to exploration and frequent loading. I like Borderlands more.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I mean Bungie basically saved their PC revenue and profit since first time they posted their numbers... like they boasted revenue by 41% with the inclusion of Bungie.
So I don't think it overpaid.

And from the Bungie results seems like Bungie itself is near to paid themselves or already paid it.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
The GDC talk is actually interesting in the context of what we know about the Sony GAAS games (particularly Factions)

I've always said I find it hard to believe ND have made a fundamentally flawed game, they clearly show that player engagement drops hard if you don't have a constant roadmap delivering content and community engagement. Even a good launch like Destiny 2 will fall off quickly if players hit content walls and you're not delivering constant content.

Even more than Destiny, Halo Infinite is a prime example of this.

I think Sony's GAAS reviews were largely about being able to deliver on that velocity concept

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

sony said it was because Bungie's GaaS expertise....maybe, I guess. I think it was also because sony didn't have an active FPS in the market.

But this happens when you get caught with your pants down and nothing to clean your ass.
The guy in the video has no idea what he's talking about.

'First trust, then retention, then revenue'. Yes, this is how business and services work. The more a player plays the game, the more likely is that player may pay for a dlc/expansion/IAP due to statistics. And the player needs trust to continue playing or to pay. It's how GaaS and many other things work, it's common sense.

Regarding Bungie not being working 100% focused on an update, it's obvious. They have to work also in other updates, and now also in other games.

Also, ignoring they are also working in other games, it's stupid to pretend they'll release every cool idea in the next update. Being a game as a service, the updates are to keep the game fresh with cool stuff being released from time to time, so the cool things have to be spread across the game cycle, instead of having a single huge great update and then all the rest after it being crap.

It's like the game announcements: to announce all the games they plan to release this generation in a single great conference would be stupid because after it they would be the rest of the generation with anything interesting to show. Or inside a year, it would be stupid to save all the announcements for E3 and leave the rest of the year without a single announcement. It's better to spread the cool announcements.

Last edited:
  • brain

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023

The first few minutes in the video say it. It's about the fan base. They exist for every game, and if I were to take them seriously then FIFA is dead, CoD is dead and Warframe is dead too. Nevertheless, the new parts of CoD and FIFA are in the top 3 of the sales charts every year.

Not everyone plays these games hundreds of hours a month. And when I see that the marathon teaser alone has over 20 million views on YouTube, it doesn't seem like it was a bad investment by Sony. In any case, fans complain about everything, but outside of the small, loud bubble, many don't see it as critically.

I can't say whether Epic's replacement was meant to be satirical or serious. Everyone knows that Tencent owns over 40% of Epic and they certainly won't sell their shares. That's why I always find it interesting when some people "prophesy" Ubisoft as a takeover target for Sony or MS and ignore the fact that Tencent is also involved there.

Sony originally wanted to take over Digital Extreme in one package, rather than Bungie. But Tencent also intervened at the last moment with a higher takeover offer. They ended up buying Bungie. For me, Bungie is still the best shooter studio and no other studio has managed to copy this “feeling”. That may also be one reason why Destiny is successful despite justified criticism and why Halo as a brand has no longer had any real relevance for a long time.

• brain

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The first few minutes in the video say it. It's about the fan base. They exist for every game, and if I were to take them seriously then FIFA is dead, CoD is dead and Warframe is dead too. Nevertheless, the new parts of CoD and FIFA are in the top 3 of the sales charts every year.

Not everyone plays these games hundreds of hours a month. And when I see that the marathon teaser alone has over 20 million views on YouTube, it doesn't seem like it was a bad investment by Sony. In any case, fans complain about everything, but outside of the small, loud bubble, many don't see it as critically.

I can't say whether Epic's replacement was meant to be satirical or serious. Everyone knows that Tencent owns over 40% of Epic and they certainly won't sell their shares. That's why I always find it interesting when some people "prophesy" Ubisoft as a takeover target for Sony or MS and ignore the fact that Tencent is also involved there.

Sony originally wanted to take over Digital Extreme in one package, rather than Bungie. But Tencent also intervened at the last moment with a higher takeover offer. They ended up buying Bungie. For me, Bungie is still the best shooter studio and no other studio has managed to copy this “feeling”. That may also be one reason why Destiny is successful despite justified criticism and why Halo as a brand has no longer had any real relevance for a long time.

Yeah, I was actually really happy that it turned out this way. Admittedly, I have zero interest in Warframe.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’ll have my full review of this season in a few weeks once the exotic quest rolls out… and I like this season.

But…. checkmate control is awesome. It’s available in crucible labs. Higher ttk, slower ability charge times. Special ammo only acquired by meter like a killstreak. Primary gunfights are back. I fucking love it. Matched up against frostbolt over the weekend and got clobbered tho but it was nice to play against the best PvP player in there is.

I think the ddos attacks are over tho… that was annoying

• fire

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I’ll have my full review of this season in a few weeks once the exotic quest rolls out… and I like this season.

But…. checkmate control is awesome. It’s available in crucible labs. Higher ttk, slower ability charge times. Special ammo only acquired by meter like a killstreak. Primary gunfights are back. I fucking love it. Matched up against frostbolt over the weekend and got clobbered tho but it was nice to play against the best PvP player in there is.

Oh nice, I love a good primary meta.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
They definitely have the expertise to get people hooked in their games. Even if it's negative, people keep playing, people keep paying.

OP
OP
ChorizoPicozo

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Did you even watch the video or just read the title?
you?

is clear bungie is having issues with :
"Trust, Retention and revenue"

the fanbase is pissed and bungie is trying to squeeze more money out of the hardcore community.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I mean Bungie basically saved their PC revenue and profit since first time they posted their numbers... like they boasted revenue by 41% with the inclusion of Bungie.
So I don't think it overpaid.

And from the Bungie results seems like Bungie itself is near to paid themselves or already paid it.
Not a chance. They boosted PC revenue ~$200m, at that rate it'll take 20 years to recoup the investment without accounting for salaries and costs. But if Bungie can help Sony 1st party GAAS hit big, they could recoup the investment in a couple years.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not a chance. They boosted PC revenue ~$200m, at that rate it'll take 20 years to recoup the investment without accounting for salaries and costs. But if Bungie can help Sony 1st party GAAS hit big, they could recoup the investment in a couple years.
They boosted the game division revenue by 41%.
PC is the small part of Bungie's business... they are close to $1b in revenue per year with Destiny.

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs