“Buy the game, you piece of s**t,” indie dev applauded for dissing Steam Key beggars

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Giving away Steam Keys to influential YouTubers and streamers is a common form of marketing that indie developers employ to help get their games noticed. However, this practice has brought upon the curse of indie creators getting hounded for Steam Keys every time they release a game, often by people who can’t even offer exposure in exchange. In a recent Q&A post, Japanese indie developer Housenka bluntly rebuffed Steam Key beggars, to the satisfaction of the community.

In a now viral Q&A post (seen above), Housenka answers various questions from users in a sarcastic but light-hearted manner, such as “Will there be sex? – No, please make your way to DLsite.” and “Can you make the character’s butt and thighs thicker? – Just accept her for who she is.” But the last frequently asked question, “I’ll promote you, give me a Steam Key,” earned only a relentless “Buy it, you piece of sh*t.” from the developer. In a reply to a commenter, Housenka adds, “I think every person who has released a game on Steam wants to say the same thing.”

Even among indie developers, taking a “harsh” tone with customers is not such a common sight in Japanese spaces, so the studio’s official diss earned a lot shocked yet impressed reactions.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yep, most indie devs get spammed by requests of game keys from supposed gaming journalists and streamers. In most cases are fake requests (often even impersonating proper youtubers/streamers/gaming media) and these keys end being sold in key stores, or for a channel with a couple people viewing it.

Great character design, character art and animation. Seems very talented.

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Yep, most indie devs get spammed by requests of game keys from supposed gaming journalists and streamers. In most cases are fake requests (often even impersonating proper youtubers/streamers/gaming media) and these keys end being sold in key stores, or for a channel with a couple people viewing it.

Great character design, character art and animation. Seems very talented.
From a technical point of view, everything is great, some games from big publishers show a much worse level of quality.

Design is a subjective part, but for me personally it is generic, I have already seen it somewhere and more than once.

As for the situation with demanding keys, this has been happening for many years, and nobody can solve this problem.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
indie games market oversaturation.
Every fool can make a game now with unreal engine asset stores, ai and so on.
Then survive of off GP welfare.

Yeah grat fucking game. You run around anime character and slash blobs. Such gameplay

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
indie games market oversaturation.
Every fool can make a game now with unreal engine asset stores, ai and so on.
Then survive of off GP welfare.

Yeah grat fucking game. You run around anime character and slash blobs. Such gameplay
Lol alot are similar indeed.