Callisto Protocol was forced to ship early, content was cut, dev says

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
after the release of The Callisto Protocol’s DLC, Striking Distance laid off 32 employees. Now, Glen Schofield discusses the game’s production, explaining how Striking Distance originally signed with PUBG publisher Krafton and how the relationship changed.

“I was looking at a few different places and then a friend of mine called me and said ‘the PUBG guys want to talk to you,’” Schofield explains in a new interview with Dan Allen Gaming. I really enjoyed talking with them. We hit it off really quickly. And a lot of the right things were said at the time.

“Four years later, you know, not all the same things are always said – by me as well probably. I really liked working with them for the first couple of years. It was really the last year or so. We went public and it put an awful strain on the company, on the board of directors, and everyone else. And then they [Krafton] put the strain on us probably.”

Schofield claims that Striking Distance was originally given the freedom to make and expand The Callisto Protocol in whatever way they liked, but that Krafton later insisted that the game had to ship in December of 2022. The director, who also created the Dead Space series, says this affected development.

“I wanted about three and a half more months,” Schofield says. “I was led to believe that that was the way it was going to be. In October or September ‘21, I was told ‘You’re going to get the time. Put whatever you want into the game.’ So I spent that Christmas holiday just designing and coming up with ideas with some of the guys. And then January comes around and some of the [Krafton] folks come over and they just said ‘no no no. It’s December 2022.’
Full article

• Informative
Reactions: 2spooky5me

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Doesn't matter. Graphics can't carry any game alone. The combat and gameplay was bad and the story/characters weren't far behind. It's basically a 6-6.5 game.

Reactions: Shadow2027

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
I just remember their budget was like 200 million which is insane for the genre and not resident evil which even then they keep budget at most half that.