Can Astrobot become the big PS mascot

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I think so, especially if they continue to create and innovate the character.

I hope we see a full new game with more of what I loved from the launch title.

They need to think like Mario devs, always have some different perspective to show, some new experience, something novel and interesting.

If they can do that, I am sure he will be the mascot.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Assuming there was a need for a mascot I would definitely prefer Astrobot over Ratchet and Clank let's say... Ellie or Abby don't make good mascots, neither would Kratos.

Astrobot is a lot more marketable, he has a simple but recognisable design that can easily be adapted like Mario,Pikachu and Sonic.

Sony would be idiots not to cash in, they should be marketing the hell out of Astrobot and creating merchandise

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I think he would make the perfect mascot for Playstation. Its a shame that they still have not announced or revealed the next Astro bot game that Team Asobi are working on. I dont know why they are taking forever with that.
Maybe because they started working on their game 2 years ago. When are ya’ll going to understand that game development is taking longer these days. This is not the 80’s,90’s or even 00’s anymore, when games took less than 2 years to make.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Maybe because they started working on their game 2 years ago. When are ya’ll going to understand that game development is taking longer these days. This is not the 80’s,90’s or even 00’s anymore, when games took less than 2 years to make.

I just hope Astro's potential is not wasted on another VR flop, this has the chance to be Sony's own Mario

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I just hope Astro's potential is not wasted on another VR flop, this has the chance to be Sony's own Mario
It won't be VR, they already said they want everyone to enjoy it. But Asobi isn't a huge team. I'm sure we'll see something from them sometime next year.

Hopefully the tragic hollowed out marketing division doesn't fail them.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Astrobot is a lot more marketable, he has a simple but recognisable design that can easily be adapted like Mario,Pikachu and Sonic.

Sony would be idiots not to cash in, they should be marketing the hell out of Astrobot and creating merchandise
So long as they don't go all cortana on US it could work, but I'm not sure it would make a difference... maybe for the younger players out there.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
So long as they don't go all cortana on US it could work, but I'm not sure it would make a difference... maybe for the younger players out there.

Look at how much the Mario movie grossed, Astro has a ton of untapped potential. Instead of Knack we should have gotten astro Bot.

It won't be VR, they already said they want everyone to enjoy it. But Asobi isn't a huge team. I'm sure we'll see something from them sometime next year.

Hopefully the tragic hollowed out marketing division doesn't fail them.

It's been bad since the ps3 days, so many franchises flopped due to non existent marketing.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
He already is PS mascot in my eyes, all my homies love Astro

Wave Hello GIF by PlayStation

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
PS has a weird way of neglecting or not making the most of the Mascots.

From letting Crash go ( pretty sure they could of stopped it going to Activision all those years ago )
Ape Escape, Jak n Daxter, Sly Cooper etc

Reactions: Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
PS has a weird way of neglecting or not making the most of the Mascots.

From letting Crash go ( pretty sure they could of stopped it going to Activision all those years ago )
Ape Escape, Jak n Daxter, Sly Cooper etc

Ape Escape was weird, the First game was a great success but instead of making a sequel they decide to make a bunch of weird Japan only Mini game compilations instead.

70% of the series is obscure Japan only games

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Well it depends on how they market it. It would be important to provide sequels/spinn-offs so in order Astro can grow to a healthy franchise. But that’s not something that will happen overnight, it will be carried over the course of many generations.

Reactions: Box

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
The era of console mascots is long dead imo. Console and gaming service marketing doesn't work like that.

Even Nintendo has multiple pillars that are easily as recognizable as Mario (Link, Kirby, Pikachu etc).

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
As I remember the "best selling" Super Mario Bros game is the original SMB from NES with 40M, bundled with a huge portion of them.

Astro already "outsold" every single Super Mario Bros game, since PS5 sold 41.7M as of June. Adding a bit more they sold in the Astro for PSVR1, a ton of people already knows and loves Astro now.

I think it would be cool to get a bigger -maybe Mario Odyssey like in size- game Astro game, that would be PSVR2 compatible, but not PSVR2 exclusive. And after that make a kids friendly movie or tv show.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
As I remember the "best selling" Super Mario Bros game is the original SMB from NES with 40M, bundled with a huge portion of them.

Astro already "outsold" every single Super Mario Bros game, since PS5 sold 41.7M as of June. Adding a bit more they sold in the Astro for PSVR1, a ton of people already knows and loves Astro now.

I think it would be cool to get a bigger -maybe Mario Odyssey like in size- game Astro game, that would be PSVR2 compatible, but not PSVR2 exclusive. And after that make a kids friendly movie or tv show.

The most demented take of all time.