Capcom confirms record number of game sales as share price hits all-time high

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
capcom-FY23.jpg.png

Capcom sold more games in its last fiscal year than in any other in its history.

In its end-year financial results published on Wednesday, which cover the year ended March 31, 2023, the Resident Evil publisher said it had sold 41.7 million games during the 12-month period.

That’s up from 32.6 million games the previous fiscal year and breaks its record for the most games sold in a business year.

The company said its game sales helped it achieve a sixth consecutive year of record-high profit “at all levels” and its tenth consecutive year of operating income growth.

Capcom said 12.4 million in sales was made up of new titles. The company released 35 ‘new’ SKUs in FY23, including Mega Man: Battle Network Legacy Collection, Resident Evil Village: Gold Edition, Monster Hunter Rise Deluxe Edition, Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium and Capcom Fighting Collection.

89.4% of its game sales during the 12 months were digital (37.3 million) and 19.7% were sold in its native Japan (8.2 million). Other than MH Rise: Sunbreak and RE4, the company’s top-selling titles during the FY were Monster Hunter Rise (3.7m), Resident Evil 2 (2.25m) and Resident Evil 3 (1.95m).

Following the publication of its end-year results, Capcom’s share price hit an all-time high on Wednesday.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Is it made by Resident Evil Village team? Because that's mean it's gonna take more time. Also how many development teams are at capcom?
Not much is known. I honestly thought it was a KojiPro contract game at first, but I think they confirmed it's not.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Just realized that Capcom streak is likely to be broken by their first day 1 on Gamepass new release. Exoprimal.

D

Deleted member 223

Resident Evil games are better than they've ever been, ever. No archaic clunky controls, great presentation etc. So no surprise. Mind you, they're the result of the work of other great studios in the industry pioneering the TPS POV camera model and controls - clearly leaning heavy on the TLOU model. They've taken that work and inserted it to RE to maximize the franchise's true potential. OG games struggled so much with those things design wise - it literally killed the franchise with the late duds. You could release RE5 tomorrow with the current formula and it would be another smash hit, as opposed to the OG.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Cant wait to see what the hell Pragmata is.

Dragons dogma 2 when?
Same here, but Capcom didn't mention it as one of their FY highlights, which I think it means that the girl will continue being sad and will be delayed to the next fiscal year again, or that they think it's a turd and that will be less important than Exoprimal (which doesn't seem something exciting if you ask me).

Same goes with Dragon's Dogma 2. They only mentioned Street Fighter 6 and Exoprimal as main releases for the fiscal year, which likely mean Dragon's Dogma 2 and Pragmata won't be released this FY. Which is something I expected for Dragon's Dogma 2, but I was expecting Pragmata to be released Fall 2023.