CCP knows Dust 514 should never have been a console exclusive: 'If we had been on PC the whole time the game would literally be alive'

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

At EVE Fanfest, PC Gamer had the chance to sit down with EVE Online's game director Snorri Árnason for a wide-ranging conversation about where the game has been in recent years and where it's going. But in terms of big announcements, Fanfest's highlight for many EVE fans wasn't the main game itself, but CCP's return to the FPS with EVE Vanguard, a PvPvE looter-shooter that links to EVE Online itself and is a successor to 2013's ill-fated Dust 514.

Árnason himself has a lot of love for Dust 514: even though he was already working for CCP, it ended up being his route into EVE proper. "I started working at CCP in 2007," says Árnason, "because they were the first and only gaming company in Iceland. I was a huge gamer, primarily an FPS player, but also Ultima Online and later Warcraft. So I started working [at CCP] because it just sounded cool. I could have gone into literally anything like banking or fishing because I was an engineer, and a scientist, fundamentally."

He spent years working on EVE Online and went into the "deep rabbit hole" of understanding it without playing himself, but early development of Dust 514 was where he fell in love. "Playing Dust, basically, as an alpha tester while we're making it back in 2011," recalls Árnason. "And that game is… I love that game. That was basically the start of the whole passion. I spent endless money and time on it myself. Eventually I moved to Shanghai [Dust 514 was developed by CCP Shanghai]. And then I came back [to Iceland] five years ago."

I wouldn't say I loved Dust, but I did like it and, as happens with all games that don't quite make it, its subsequent reputation is a little unfair. I ask Árnason what he especially liked about it. He says a big thing for him is the idea of permanence in a game, with consequences and effects for what you're doing. "I don't want to be gamified," says Árnason. "So like, when, when the game tells me to reset, or to go to number two [a sequel], I don't like that idea. I just want to be in the game. So that really appealed to me, but also just the factions and the themes and it just felt grounded, realistic, a good backstory, good enemies, everything else. And like, it felt like it was a game that could grow endlessly, so that's why I kind of bought so much into it."

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
CCP's return to the FPS with EVE Vanguard, a PvPvE looter-shooter that links to EVE Online itself and is a successor to 2013's ill-fated Dust 514.
Jesus fucking Christ, guys, give up on non-Eve Eve games. This future turd is going to be strike three and everyone but you can see it coming.

As to Dust.... it really hurt that MS wouldn't allow crossplay back in the day and CCP wanted to push consoles so no PC version (as said above.) But those were far from the game's only problems. CCP Shanghai was a scam that took years to get walking in stations (literally walking around a series of rooms, like alpha level shit) running and Dust wasn't anything special either with all of its gameplay "gimmicks" actually being from BF2142. And no, its reputation as a generic FPS that flopped was well deserved.

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Every time I tried to play it in the first six months it was out, I either failed to connect or the servers were full.

Maybe fixing that would have helped grow a player base?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I miss Dust 514, it was ahead if it's time, I loved the connected universe with Eve Online. PS3 was god tier when it came to online multiplayer. We had MAG, Warhawk, so many gems.
It's a shame all those games didn't come to PC. I would still be playing MAG.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
the communities are dying, which is the point for all these games. if they were on PC, they'd still be a alive. PS Dreams also.
That is weird.

Because the whole point of the Crossplay gate forced to PlayStation in the past was due PC and Xbox not having enough community to play the games.
That was not a issue in PlayStation ecosystem.

So now some dev come to say if the game was on PC it was alive yet.
I have highly doubts about that.
Seems more like he is just upset his game didn't get the attention of success he wished.
It is fine because it his child so he see it as the best ever but that is not necessary true.. a mother will believe her child is the best looking one too 🤷‍♂️

There are fundamental issues with the game and the dev just blame the userbase.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That is weird.

Because the whole point of the Crossplay gate forced to PlayStation in the past was due PC and Xbox not having enough community to play the games.
That was not a issue in PlayStation ecosystem.

So now some dev come to say if the game was on PC it was alive yet.
I have highly doubts about that.
Seems more like he is just upset his game didn't get the attention of success he wished.
It is fine because it his child so he see it as the best ever but that is not necessary true.. a mother will believe her child is the best looking one too 🤷‍♂️

There are fundamental issues with the game and the dev just blame the userbase.
I'm not riding for Dust because it was a bad shooter. But the others would still be alive. Wolfenstein Enemy Territory from 2003 still has players on PC.

Reactions: ethomaz