Character in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door will be trans, Nintendo developer confirms

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
fdd5d8ca46d7ea4e45397ae560e807742de2d7d744570297ddbabf69d6d23f33

From an Environmental Engineer at Nintendo of America

Post text:

My first major “win” at my new job: in the original version of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, this character, Vivian, is canonically trans in the Japanese release and is trying to escape her transphobic siblings who keep mocking her. In the US release, this was changed to her just being generally bullied. We remade the game for Switch, and a few months ago we were having a meeting about localization and I INSISTED that we keep her identity accurate this time. Not everyone was on board. MOST people weren’t on board because of the current political climate in this country over trans identities and bodies. She will be presented correctly in the US release of the game next month and I could not be more proud of queer fortitude and getting to fight for representation in the face of bullshit politics, even if it is just one fictional character in a cartoon video game. I’m glad they made the right choice.
Source

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
There isn't any evidence to suggest this person actually works at Nintendo

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
No fucking way this is true.

My first major “win” at my new job: in the original version of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, this character, Vivian, is canonically trans in the Japanese release and is trying to escape her transphobic siblings who keep mocking her.

Good for you? Really conquering life and will be remembered for eras to come for this achievement.

even if it is just one fictional character in a cartoon video game. I’m glad they made the right choice.
:ROFLMAO:

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
There isn't any evidence to suggest this person actually works at Nintendo
I will be wildly surprised if Nintendo listens or allows itself to be bullied by a they/them/theirs person to alter their games.

Reactions: Box