Chris Dring: Astro Bot UK launch sales bigger than Sonic Frontiers and Crash 4

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
now thats something, didnt play frontiers yet but i know that crash 4 is a banger, happy to see astro conquering his space between the great platforming mascots

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Way To Go Thumbs Up GIF

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
better than multiplatform counterparts, PlayStation really doesn't need PC to succeed
Sony 1st party games outside PS (most of it on PC) $748M last fiscal year and that number highly increases every year. That's more money than what Astro Bot will make on its entire lifetime.

And well, Sonic and Crash proportionally aren't the big sellers they were in the '90s at all.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Sony 1st party games outside PS (most of it on PC) $748M last fiscal year and that number highly increases every year. That's more money than what Astro Bot will make on its entire lifetime.

And well, Sonic and Crash proportionally aren't the big sellers they were in the '90s at all.

Sonic was never really a "big" seller. Sonic was bundled with a lot of genesis units. The games individually don't sell ALL that well.

Mario got its popularity the same way, with the biggest difference being that Mario was on a platform that sold better and continuously got publicity, but Sonic is still a really valuable IP due to all of the effort put behind it.

That's why I think Sony should buy Crash and Spyro from Microsoft. On their own, I don't think they have much value, but in a pantheon of mascot characters, with the backing of Sony Pictures, they could really do something special and Nintendo like.

1. Astro Bot
2. Crash Bandicoot
3. Spyro the Dragon/Skylanders
4. Ratchet and Clank
5. Jak and Daxter
6. Sackboy/LittleBigPlanet

Honorable mentions for Ape Escape, Toro Inoue, LocoRoco

Collectively, that's a lot of mascot power and a lot of low cost production.

I would love to see them reach out to the maker of Power Stone and build a Smash rival based on Power Stone rather than a Smash clone.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Astro should have good legs. Reviews dropped just before release..I imagine that's converting alot of people

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Imagine comparing Astrobot vs Destiny and Helldivers on PC. Keep spinning these numbers to obfuscate how bad the ports are selling. You might as well add Concord in that total 🤡

Astrobot will sell more consoles and that's where the real money is. That's what Sony should focus on.

Reactions: Puff

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Imagine comparing Astrobot vs Destiny and Helldivers on PC. Keep spinning these numbers to obfuscate how bad the ports are selling. You might as well add Concord in that total 🤡

Astrobot will sell more consoles and that's where the real money is. That's what Sony should focus on.
I never said Destiny and Helldivers aren't in PC. They are there and are making a ton of money. This is what Sony wanted when bought Bungie and decided to launch Helldivers 2 both in PS and PC, like the first one but now day one.

All the ports have been profitable and have a big profit margin, this is why Totoki said they will/are doubling down on PC. Astro Bot pretty likely will sell somewhere between 5 and 10M, or if being very optimistic and lucky a bit more.

Games like GTA, CoD, FIFA, Fortnite are the ones who sell consoles and the most played ones there, not Astro Bot. Astro Bot will be in the rankings maybe a month, or two if lucky, and pretty likely will dissapear from there.

And in the whole gaming market, the money is in mobile -with around half of the market- followed by PC. PS is the 3rd place with around half of the console (not gaming) market share.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Astro should have good legs. Reviews dropped just before release..I imagine that's converting alot of people

Internal reviews must have had it pretty high. Weird that they set the embargo for the day before. They could have bought a much bigger lead in.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I never said Destiny and Helldivers aren't in PC. They are there and are making a ton of money. This is what Sony wanted when bought Bungie and decided to launch Helldivers 2 both in PS and PC, like the first one but now day one.

All the ports have been profitable and have a big profit margin, this is why Totoki said they will/are doubling down on PC. Astro Bot pretty likely will sell somewhere between 5 and 10M, or if being very optimistic and lucky a bit more.

Games like GTA, CoD, FIFA, Fortnite are the ones who sell consoles and the most played ones there, not Astro Bot. Astro Bot will be in the rankings maybe a month, or two if lucky, and pretty likely will dissapear from there.

And in the whole gaming market, the money is in mobile -with around half of the market- followed by PC. PS is the 3rd place with around half of the console (not gaming) market share.

God forbid people enjoy games instead of sales.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

So much back pedaling after his first tweet made it seem like the game was a huge flop for a week.

He's either ignorant, on the take, or fishing for engagement. This latest revelation is the exact opposite of the picture he painted with that first tweet.

You had GAAS slaves and Xbots on Ree and gaf salivating at the prospect that Astro Bot had flopped. Meanwhile, it's beaten every platformer bar Mario and is a better game than all of them including Mario.