Concord’ Lead Character Designer Believes “Whites Must Acknowledge Their Privileged Position, And Then Actively Work For Equality”

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Jon Weisnewski, the Lead Character Designer for Firewalk Studios, the developer of the recently announced Concord game, is a woke activist that buys into the claim that white people are “privileged.”

Following PlayStation showcasing Concord as part of their most recent State of Play video at the end of May, the game’s character designs were mocked across the internet.

In the Gaming subreddit, user gpetrakas declared, “Concord might have the UGLIEST Characters Designs I have ever seen.”

Others agreed. One user wrote, “Yeah I’m not too keen on the character design either but I am also tired of the Pixar toon look that most team shooters have had since like 2007.”

Another added, “It’s like they asked chatgpt to make overwatch again but strip it off all identity.”

Still another posted, “piss yellow, moldy green, wine purple and blue lipstick. who tf thought this was a acceptable color palate need to go.”

It was not just on Reddit. On X, user Mangalawyer wrote, “Concord is a new progressive and modern shooter for Pc & Playstation. It features five black women, four aliens, three robots, and one white man. It’s incredibly diverse and non-heteronormative. Plus, it has pronouns. Are you excited?”

• haha
Reactions: John Elden Ring

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Yes, it's this guy.

Weisnewski.png

Weisnewski4.png

PiG-aSE_
NuclearDudesBio2-Photo-by-Maria-Alcantara-255x340.jpg

I mean just one look at him and we can tell he knows racism in his bones and totally understands what racism is all about.
Which is why he... checks notes.. reduced to a minimum the skin tone diversity of the human characters in Concord. Genius.

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
Yes, it's this guy.

PiG-aSE_
NuclearDudesBio2-Photo-by-Maria-Alcantara-255x340.jpg

I mean just one look at him and we can tell he knows racism in his bones and totally understands what racism is all about.
Which is why he... checks notes.. reduced to a minimum the skin tone diversity of the human characters in Concord. Genius.
What a waste of oxygen.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
This game will single handedly be undone by a hack character designer. Incredible

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
i thought y'all didn't want politics on this forum
this is culture war nonsense
and they're kinda right
as a privileged white person
white people are privileged. I as a white person am less likely to be shot by a cop, for example.

Those character designs *are* pretty unappealing tho, at least imo

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
and they're kinda right
white people are privileged. I as a white person am less likely to be shot by a cop, for example.

To be honest, I'm someone who acknowledges the idea of white privilege. But the attitudes of these creative and design leads is so appalling that it deserves to be called out. Many people agree with them and yet don't want to be lectured at constantly in their entertainment, nor do they appreciate the constant arrogance and belittling thrown at them merely for existing. These people shouldn't be telling gamers what a bad person they are for being white. Gamers aren't going to change the incarceration rates of black people. Gamers aren't going to make police shoot less black people. The police have already started doing diversity and unconscious bias training to help alleviate the issues being brought up - but gamers are for some reason treated like they're villains for no discernable reason simply because the devs believe themselves to have some sort of moral superiority merely for taking some diversity training classes? Please, give me a fucking break. Go and stand on a picket line if you want to change the world. Don't inject your games with bullshit.

Disclaimer: I'm not white

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
And this is exactly why games with morons like this end up shit. These people aren't interested in making great characters and games. They just want to push a shit message. Honestly have no idea how people like this go through life.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
and they're kinda right