Creative Assembly (Alien Isolation, Total War) announces it is downsizing

23 Sep 2023
Triple A gaming is unsustainable, no matter which way you slice it. The bubble is bursting, years late if you ask me. The industry needs to go back to passionate people making games for gamers instead of multi-mega-corps churning out vapid souless 'products'. Let it burn I say.

Reactions: Nimrota
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Triple A gaming is unsustainable, no matter which way you slice it. The bubble is bursting, years late if you ask me. The industry needs to go back to passionate people making games for gamers instead of multi-mega-corps churning out vapid souless 'products'. Let it burn I say.
Alot of bloat is also killing these development cycles.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Not surprised as they raised DLC prices recently and there was speculation about their margins being crunched going forward, hence the need for more revenue as longer projects panned out.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I’d say it’s more the GaaS bubble.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I’d say it’s more the GaaS bubble.
Right, the game was far enough along to get a public beta, if largely single-player it would have been acceptable to say the dev costs were a sunk cost and go along with a release anyway, but as a GaaS the dev costs were going to continue unabated after release. If you are certain the game won't gain or maintain a playerbase then its best to just not release it at all.

Reactions: Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Right, the game was far enough along to get a public beta, if largely single-player it would have been acceptable to say the dev costs were a sunk cost and go along with a release anyway, but as a GaaS the dev costs were going to continue unabated after release. If you are certain the game won't gain or maintain a playerbase then its best to just not release it at all.
Precisely

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

If AAA gaming is unsustainable, then all of gaming is unsustainable. The main costs are just labor.... paying people for their hours.

I think a lot of these major studios being located in the most expensive places to live and with middle and upper management getting inflated pay, there are many ways around the high costs.

PlayStation for instance has almost all its studios in high cost cities. None in Poland or Spain or other emerging / skilled countries.

There can also be a more dispersed development structure with smaller groups in different countries.

Xbox is just badly managed and I am sure their acquired companies will gradually fall apart anyway.

Reactions: Vertigo

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
If AAA gaming is unsustainable, then all of gaming is unsustainable. The main costs are just labor.... paying people for their hours.

I think a lot of these major studios being located in the most expensive places to live and with middle and upper management getting inflated pay, there are many ways around the high costs.

PlayStation for instance has almost all its studios in high cost cities. None in Poland or Spain or other emerging / skilled countries.

There can also be a more dispersed development structure with smaller groups in different countries.

Xbox is just badly managed and I am sure their acquired companies will gradually fall apart anyway.

This is happening across all of the industry. IT companies They can have 20% less employees and still have their bussiness running (of course, by making their employees work to death)

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Sad there won’t be a Alien Isolation 2 from the studio.

That game so good.
There is a sequel to Alien: Isolation. Alien: Blackout, on iOS and Android. It’s a Five Nights at Freddy’s clone.

And that is all we will get, thanks to SEGA being idiots and game journalists being pussies.

Reactions: On Demand

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Yea.. unfortunately the more complex they make the games, the more time it will take to make them and the more money it will take to pay for the extra time.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
There is a sequel to Alien: Isolation. Alien: Blackout, on iOS and Android. It’s a Five Nights at Freddy’s clone.

And that is all we will get, thanks to SEGA being idiots and game journalists being pussies.

I heard about that game. Obviously not the true sequel that is wanted.

“Game journalist” really showed they don’t know anything about a good quality well crafted game with those reviews.

From top to bottom the game is a perfect recreation, and a sequel, from the classic movie franchise and they shit on it with stupid takes about it being too long and backtracking.

There’s nothing too long about being on the Nostromo!

Reactions: Shmunter