Crystal Dynamics Officially Takes Over Tomb Raider and Legacy of Kain (Among Others) Franchises from Square Enix

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That is bad or good? I don't care about Tomb Raider but I really wanted a Soul Reaver remaster/remake/sequel.

We are excited to inform you that Crystal Dynamics has taken control of several game franchises—including TOMB RAIDER and Legacy of Kain—from the games' previous owner, Square Enix Limited.

As a result of this change, Crystal Dynamics (or its affiliate) is now the owner of these games and the controller of the gameplay and personal data related to them. If you'd like to know more, please refer to our new Terms of Service and Privacy Notice.

We look forward to taking this new and exciting journey with you!

Let's see what Embracer will do with these.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
when do you guys think the next TR game is? 2026? for the 30 year Anniversary?

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
To replay that question I need first to understand what Embracer is doing with their acquired franchises.
They are open to invest on them?
I could of sworn there was a leak about a new TR game in Development but I might be misremembering

• thinking_hard
Reactions: ethomaz

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
I really hope in a remake/reboot, hell I wouldn't even mind an HD version of the whole Legacy of Kain collection.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
If it means LoK can be revived, it's really good news. And it would be multiplatform.

Reactions: arvfab
P

peter42O

Looking forward to the next Tomb Raider game from Crystal Dynamics and I wonder what Eidos Montreal is working on since they said that their next game isn't Deus Ex.

Oogabooga

16 Jul 2022
I don't think it's too bad for Tomb Raider, since it's technically still the same devlopers. Idk about the budget tho 😕

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don't think it's too bad for Tomb Raider, since it's technically still the same devlopers. Idk about the budget tho 😕

I think that's what is bad. Bar the "Reboot" Tomb Raider game, both sequels were worse, with the final game in the trilogy being outright bad.

Reactions: Deleted member 13

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I think that's what is bad. Bar the "Reboot" Tomb Raider game, both sequels were worse, with the final game in the trilogy being outright bad.
They were too much padding.

Reboot kept the story chugging along. Rise said "fuck off until you get explosive arrows and have to trapse back here to blow up the debris to go in this cave. Yes I know you have a pickaxe and stuff, but fuck you". Shadow said "guys? Hello?".

Over budget to where SE considered sales a letdown, overly stuffed with gameplay padding. Why couldn't we have got several smaller scale/more tightly focused games in quick succession, all telling their own stories?

Reactions: Deleted member 13

Oogabooga

16 Jul 2022
First one and second one were really good 👍 I honestly prefer Rise of the tomb raider much better than the first one. Felt more like the old Lara Croft games with the puzzles and all that, but yeah Shadow sucked.

They were too much padding.

Reboot kept the story chugging along. Rise said "fuck off until you get explosive arrows and have to trapse back here to blow up the debris to go in this cave. Yes I know you have a pickaxe and stuff, but fuck you". Shadow said "guys? Hello?".

Over budget to where SE considered sales a letdown, overly stuffed with gameplay padding. Why couldn't we have got several smaller scale/more tightly focused games in quick succession, all telling their own stories?
Wtf are you talking about. You think small budget games will make huge success??nobody wants to buy shit low budget games. 😂 maybe Nintendo fans tho, the more low budget cheap shitty controls the more impressed they are 🤓

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
First one and second one were really good 👍 I honestly prefer Rise of the tomb raider much better than the first one. Felt more like the old Lara Croft games with the puzzles and all that, but yeah Shadow sucked.

Wtf are you talking about. You think small budget games will make huge success??nobody wants to buy shit low budget games. 😂 maybe Nintendo fans tho, the more low budget cheap shitty controls the more impressed they are 🤓
I didn't mean low budget as a bad thing. I don't think it's sound business to try and pad-out games or reinvent the wheel gameplay wise all the time. That's how we get 5 year development times for a sequel that underperforms on expectations in relation to it's massive budget. It's diminishing returns. I'd rather take a few different games telling their own stories, even if they shared the same gameplay template.

Oogabooga

16 Jul 2022
I didn't mean low budget as a bad thing. I don't think it's sound business to try and pad-out games or reinvent the wheel gameplay wise all the time. That's how we get 5 year development times for a sequel that underperforms on expectations in relation to it's massive budget. It's diminishing returns. I'd rather take a few different games telling their own stories, even if they shared the same gameplay template.
Horrible, Horrible idea. The main appeal of these types of games are the visuals and voice acting. you are in the minority here. This isn't an indie or a Mobile game. nobody would want to play a low budget TR. 👎

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Horrible, Horrible idea. The main appeal of these types of games are the visuals and voice acting. you are in the minority here. This isn't an indie or a Mobile game. nobody would want to play a low budget TR. 👎
I feel like I used the wrong term. I don't mean 'low budget', I mean a more realistic budget for and expection from the title. And a more refined game, focusing on it's stengths. A game doesn't need to be 10 hours long to justify some marketing checkbox, or indeed the stupid amounts of money that went into it... and have me collecting feathers, climbing towers, not being allowed to do this until I come back out of my way later with this upgraded weapon or tool, not beign able to run until my stamina stat is better, not being able to shoot worth a fuck until my aim stat gets better. I mean, games used to be funner, right? That's one facet of what I didn't like about the later TR Trilogy sequels. Upgrading bloat. Initial Reboot trucked along great with me and I really enjoyed it. The sequels were "just... can you not? I can see the formula/puppet strings."

I was also alluding to a wider but perhaps unrelated point that I really don't know why sequels 'have to' take so many years and so much money to make nowadays. Who asked for horse balls shrinking and stupid crap like that? I want more stories to play through. I mean, when GTA were releasing several games during PS2 era, people didn't dog them for playing simillar and not reinventing the wheel, releasing too close together, they just liked having new story content in a different setting etc.

I personally would be fine recieving more stories at a set level of gameplay standing, with the understanding these are more world building stories. Something like the RE Revelations series compared to the mainline games, that sort of expectation. I suppose these days instead of doing rapid fire sequels you'd probably do story dlc chapters/2nd half of games like TLOU Left Behind or MK Aftermath

Last edited: