Cyberpunk 2 May Have Grander Branching Storylines Based on Players' Starting Life Path

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Cyberpunk 2, codenamed Orion, may feature grander branching storylines determined by the player's starting life path, which were Street Kid, Corpo, and Nomad in Cyberpunk 2077.

Speaking on the Answered Podcast, CD Projekt Red narrative director Philipp Weber said the Life Paths' lack of influence in the majority of Cyberpunk 2077 is something the studio wants to improve in future titles. While Weber is currently working on the next mainline Witcher game, codenamed Polaris, Cyberpunk's sequel is currently in the conceptual stages of development too.

"I do think there are things with, for example, the life paths, that kind of gives you a promise as being able to play more different kinds of characters," Weber said. "I think this is a thing where, in the future, that's as an example something we would like to improve. Since I do think we gave a promise there that maybe in the end we did not really sell."

Cyberpunk 2077's opening changes depending on which life path is chosen, but within an hour the three essentially merge into the one main story. While it does have various branching paths and different choices of its own, the influence of life paths is subsequently limited to occasional additional dialogue options.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Evilnemesis8

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
This game is wayyy to far from release for the game to take any of my brain bandwidth.

But yeah, the fact that the devs did not have the required amount of time to make the game they wanted is clear when you see how much more narrative work the game could've had, both for the Life Path but also the ending(s) and the integration within the world in general.

All I can say is that I wish them well and hope their working conditions will be better this time around and that the sequel will out with their vision fully realized from the start.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I feel like the orginal game was supposed to have this, until keanu Reeves forced them to increase the scope of the johnny Silverman character so they rushed the start

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
Canadian Flirting GIF
Damn Son !!!

• Peachy
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This game is wayyy to far from release for the game to take any of my brain bandwidth.

But yeah, the fact that the devs did not have the required amount of time to make the game they wanted is clear when you see how much more narrative work the game could've had, both for the Life Path but also the ending(s) and the integration within the world in general.

All I can say is that I wish them well and hope their working conditions will be better this time around and that the sequel will out with their vision fully realized from the start.
Yeah I'm curious to see what we get.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m under the impression CDPR proper is working on Witcher while the new studio does cyberpunk 2. Well this narrative director may still be onboard at least.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
So they didn't have this in the first game despite pretty much promising, and now they expect suckers gamers to forget that?

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I’m under the impression CDPR proper is working on Witcher while the new studio does cyberpunk 2. Well this narrative director may still be onboard at least.

This is correct, the main Warsaw Studio is working on the next Witcher as the lead team.
The new Boston studio founded in 2022 is going to lead the CP277 Sequel Project.
But something to note, this is not just all new people. A lot of folks moved from Poland to there, in particular I imagine a lot of Americans working at CDPR(they have 3 studio locations in Poland) probably took the opportunity to move back home.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
How about you just make the game and leave out the lying part? We've been through this and the game still doesn't and will never have everything promised in the marketing materials.

Last edited: