Cyberpunk’s expansion totally overhauls the original game: Totally rebuilds’ AI, vehicle combat being implemented, skill trees, loot and more

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Cyberpunk 2077’s major expansion, Phantom Liberty, is set to add a meaty chunk of story with a spy thriller featuring Idris Elba, but its Summer Game Fest trailer omitted the most significant discovery of our behind-closed-doors demo: it also totally overhauls the original game’s systems – and even base game owners will receive the updates.

Set for release in September, Phantom Liberty adds a new district of Night City called Dog Town. It takes place during the main story of the original game and players can access it via any of their existing save games. However, with such a substantial number of overhauls to the core systems, many may be tempted to give 2077 another playthrough from the start.

According to creative director Pawel Sasko, virtually no system of the original game has been left untouched. The designer told VGC that, before he departs for a new adventure in the USA establishing the team who will one day create a sequel, he’s determined to leave the original game – famously criticised at launch – in the best shape he can.

“All the core, main systems of the game have been redone or updated in a major way,” he told VGC. “The biggest ones are the perks and skill trees, which have been rebuilt completely, and the next one is we’ve added vehicle combat which enables new car chases.

We’ve also greatly expanded AI and completely redone the police system, which is rebuilt from the ground up and now has multiple levels with multiple archetypes of enemies who will chase you – it’s also different in Dog Town compared to Night City.

We’ve also redone the loop and whole progression of the game; the difficulty curve is different, the tiers and drops of loot is different, the archetypes of enemies has been redone for more variety. Those are the core things that we’ve changed, and if you look into it there are very few systems that we didn’t change or update. Even the UI and UX have been greatly updated.

We also looked at the criticism for example of the open world. When you play the base game versus Phantom Liberty, you will see the difference. For example, there are car chases that happen dynamically when factions fight. AI improvements mostly extends to enemies. Your followers, like you saw with Agent Reed in the demo, can also use it, but pedestrians are mostly bug fixes.

As well as the amount of time CD Projekt has committed to creating this expansion – the base game released almost three years ago – the improvements added with Phantom Liberty are enabled by the decision to jettison the technically flawed last-gen console versions and utilise the additional memory available to new-gen-only games.

Dog Town, the expansion’s new area, is vast and densely populated, and CD Projekt claims it’s improved enemy AI, overhauled vehicle gameplay and added new activities for players to discover. As a fan of the original game, the promise of a new story focused on the spy thriller genre is exciting – especially because Sasko says there’s almost as much Johnny Silverhand (aka Keanu Reeves) here as in the base game.

But the sheer number of systemic changes almost demands a brand new playthrough. Cyberware has been completely redone, for example, with a new capacity system indicating how much Cyberware your character’s body can take before it sends them cyberpsycho.

All Skill trees have been changed to focus on giving players actual abilities they can use in the game, rather than the stat-based changes featured in the original game. For instance, one will add a new dash move, another will allow players to deflect bullets, or perform execution finishers. Modifiers around each skill allow players to further power up these abilities.

In addition, there’s a new unique Relic tree with upgrades that will add further twists to the Cyberware that you have installed, such as by adding new abilities to your mantis blades. These skills require unique Relic points to upgrade, which are found by exploring Dog Town – an addition CD Projekt Red says it’s introduced to give players more to do in the sandbox – a common criticism at launch.

Finally, vehicle combat has been totally rebuilt. Players now have more options to battle enemies while driving, or even use weaponised vehicles with cannons or guns mounted on board. The changes also extend to how players will obtain cars in the game, via new Courier missions.

We put a lot work into vehicle combat,” explains Sasko. “You can aim your handgun through the windshield or windows. There are also weaponised vehicles with gatling guns or rockets that you can actually use and shoot.

“Some of the cars from the base game will be updated and weaponised, whereas others you can just open up doors like from our original CGI trailer where V was shooting out of the door. On motorcycles you can use your katana.”

Vehicles also now have weak spots like their charging ports. A showcase of this is Phantom Liberty’s new Courier activity. “Mama Welles, a fixer from the base game, will now have vehicles marked across Night City that you can steal. However, there will be certain objectives you need to complete, such as by stealing it without any damage while you’re chased.

“There are many variants of that quest, like having to follow a car and hack it remotely to steal it. This activity is infinitely repeatable, because players complained that they were not able to obtain all of the cars in the original game. That’s another thing that we’ve overhauled: cars are no longer purchasable from fixers like in the base game. Instead, Mama Welles has a website in the game where he adds more cars – and some of them are weaponised.”

For whatever reason, CD Projekt Red appears to have undersold the sheer amount of content being changed or added with Cyberpunk’s expansion – we’ve not even mentioned the new Airdrop activities, which see random loot caches dropped on the map and a race to secure them.

The developer says it’s still discussing the exact details of when and how base game owners will receive the new systems, but that its intention is to deploy them for free. So as well as adding a sizable chunk of new story to Night City, Phantom Liberty looks like it could finally do good on many of the promises the base game failed to live up to for many, before the game’s leaders move Stateside to establish the sequel dev team.

“I’m one of the directors who are moving to the US,” Sasko said. “Currently we’re in the process of organising everything when it comes to the office and will be heavily hiring during 2024. But right now the majority of our focus is on Phantom Liberty because we just need to leave the game in great shape as well as we can. We need to make sure this is received as well as it can.”

Reactions: Lord Mittens

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
Looking forward to this even more than the extra story and content that is coming with the DLC.

My biggest gripe with CP2077 till this day is the incredibly bad AI and no vehicle combat.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I hope I don't need the base game complete to start this DLC. My interest in Lies of P is near zero now and this and MK1 is the only thing mildly interesting to me coming out in September.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
No offence but I'll wait for reviews once it releases before making a decision. CDPR I hope you knock it out of the park but I am a Doubting Thomas after the Cyberpunk launch.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Do you have to buy the expansion to have access to the base game updates?

I bought the original PS4 version for $10 when it was on fire sale. I didn't really play it (free upgrade on PS5).

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Do you have to buy the expansion to have access to the base game updates?

I bought the original PS4 version for $10 when it was on fire sale. I didn't really play it (free upgrade on PS5).

Yeah this is a good question. Is it paid to have to changes? Because if so, LOL

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
No offence but I'll wait for reviews once it releases before making a decision. CDPR I hope you knock it out of the park but I am a Doubting Thomas after the Cyberpunk launch.
The Office Thank You GIF

• Shake
Reactions: Dick Jones

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah this is a good question. Is it paid to have to changes? Because if so, LOL
They wouldn’t be the first to pull that shit. Capcom just did it for third-person camera in Resident Evil VIII, you have to buy the DLC to unlock the new camera!

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I still hope they backpedal on the sequel developed by some startup US studio and Unreal 5. There’s not much more impressive than this game out right now; 2077 and Horizon 2 are the most visually impressive next gen games on console. I don’t buy the UE5 hype at all — that just tells me you got rookie devs making their first game after college. Bruh fuck unreal . Usually an indication of half-assery 🤣

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They wouldn’t be the first to pull that shit. Capcom just did it for third-person camera in Resident Evil VII, you have to buy the DLC to unlock the new camera!
I think you meant Resident Evil VIII... I believe 7 doesn't have 3rd-person camera.
Anyway the best ways to play both games: 1st-person VR > 1st-person > 3rd-person.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I still hope they backpedal on the sequel developed by some startup US studio and Unreal 5. There’s not much more impressive than this game out right now; 2077 and Horizon 2 are the most visually impressive next gen games on console. I don’t buy the UE5 hype at all — that just tells me you got rookie devs making their first game after college. Bruh fuck unreal . Usually an indication of half-assery 🤣
CDPR is a haven of half-assery no matter which continent the team in question is based on, or what engine they use.

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They wouldn’t be the first to pull that shit. Capcom just did it for third-person camera in Resident Evil VII, you have to buy the DLC to unlock the new camera!

Third person camera was never a mechanic promised for the original game though. These lads released a game with broken subsystems, removed promised ones, and are now charging for the fix.