Dead Space Creator Glen Schofield is leaving Striking Distance studio after first game Callisto Protocol flops.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Video-game developer Striking Distance Studios, a subsidiary of Korean publisher Krafton Inc., is appointing new management several months after the commercial flop of its first game.

Chief Executive Officer Glen Schofield is leaving, a Krafton representative confirmed Wednesday, saying he has “decided to pursue new opportunities.” Striking Distance’s chief operating officer and chief financial officer are also leaving. Krafton said all three departures were voluntary.

Chief Development Officer Steve Papoutsis will take over as CEO. In a statement, Schofield said his departure was “bittersweet, but I know the studio is in excellent hands.”

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
With him gone its support or bust, imo. Not sure what else you would use his hand selected team for, otherwise.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Has a situation of “hey, as the creator of [x game] I’m now free to make a similar version independently” ever worked? I’m thinking perhaps Bloodstained?

Reactions: Arc

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I wouldn’t be surprised if his decision to pursue other opportunities was a result of Krafton telling him they didn’t want him wasting any more of their money making expensive flops.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Arc

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Has a situation of “hey, as the creator of [x game] I’m now free to make a similar version independently” ever worked? I’m thinking perhaps Bloodstained?
Monolithsoft being formed of Square vets and making Xenoblade? Very oldskool Activision people who walked out of Atari to found it? Yeah, not really a huge list.

Reactions: BroodCorp

BlueLyria

Icon Extra
29 Apr 2023
Bloodstained was divisive, but imo a good game. Technically Respawn with Titanfall as it was made of ex-cod devs

Reactions: BroodCorp

Arc

5 Sep 2023
It’s a very rare thing. Remember when Respawn was CoD vets striking off on their own? It took them years and multiple games to find popularity again.

Brand power and mainstream recognition are shockingly powerful to me even if a game or team is established and quality. It’s like these creators need to ‘hit the big time’ all over again.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Monolithsoft being formed of Square vets and making Xenoblade? Very oldskool Activision people who walked out of Atari to found it? Yeah, not really a huge list.

They got rid of the Monoliftsoft devs after Xenogears only sold a million, the director told Squaresoft that this was the 1st part of a 6 game series.

They then went to Namco, and made 3 flops with the Xenosaga games before Nintendo gobbled them up.

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
Such a wasted IP. It could have been great, a true next gen game graphic wise to me, but they fucked up the two most important things: horrible optimization and bad monetization, like come on... if one of your selling points is your gore system You can't lock death animations on a paid dlc... Not to mention the final mission not being released from the beginning.

They had an insane budget and an amazing team but every decision they took was wrong.