Demo Review: Metaphor Refantazio

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Let me start off with saying there are a lot of things I like about this. First, it's clear that Atlus is doing something that Square Enix seems incapable of. They're trying to build new IP using a lot of the strengths of Persona but they've also taken on many of the weaknesses. It's clearly meant to be Persona but in a different setting i.e. not Japanese High School.

I've played about 5 hours of the demo (maybe the longest demo I've ever seen) and so far I'm a bit mixed on the game. The story seems very cookie cutter and predictable and none of the characters stand out at all.

Visually and technically, I'm surprised this game isn't launching on Switch. I'd assume it is going to be a Switch 2 launch title and they probably thought Switch 2 would be out for the holidays this year. The game has terrible load times for a Ps5 game and entirely too many useless transition screens. It looks and feels like a highly polished PS3 game, which kind of makes me worry for Persona 6.

I'll revisit Metaphor on sale and if it gets a PS5 Pro patch, but I'm not impressed so far and I'm not dying to pick up where I left off. You never know how games pick up, but so far, I have no idea how Famitsu gave this a 37/40. It's definitely not a 37/40 and I don't envision this game being in discussions for GOTY.

I think it's more of a case that Famitsu just gives Atlus high grades consistently.

I think Atlus desperately needs a larger budget. At this rate they're going to turn into Bethesda with really dated game design.