Despite Helldivers 2 success, Sony misses PC revenue target by about 20%

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

isn't that what xbox does all the time? padding numbers, basically make them up? Switch = PC :ROFLMAO:

even with all this Bullshit padding, they couldn't reach the target and missed massively

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
My guess is back in early 2023 when they were making the projections, they were counting with revenue from Last of Us Online starting in Q4 2023.

I doubt they had great expectations from Helldivers 2, considering the original game's success and the fact that it only sold for the last 6 weeks of FY 2023.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Even with Helldivers 2's surprise success? Everything else must have flopped hard.

Nah, just Destiny 2.

It didn't help that they delayed their newest expansion "The Final Shape" to June from Feb 2024.
Which meant that their FY expectations would've included a whole new Destiny 2 expansion.
That's a lot of dollaridoos.

My guess is back in early 2023 when they were making the projections, they were counting with revenue from Last of Us Online starting in Q4 2023.

I doubt they had great expectations from Helldivers 2, considering the original game's success and the fact that it only sold for the last 6 weeks of FY 2023.

I don't think they were expecting TLoU Online to release this last FY.
Like I typed above, it's almost certainly almost all Destiny 2 related.

Lightfall cratering + moving out the next Expansion out of the Fiscal Year(Feb--->June delay) is certainly several hundred of millions of dollars in lost revenue especially if we're counting revenue from Xbox in there.

Reactions: Evil Aloy

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Lies. They expected $450M from PC for this FY and we don't know the exact amount they made (they share this data in the Business Segment Meeting, coming May 30th).

image.png

What we know for this FY is that 1st party games made outside PS (so PC + and for Destiny 2 and MLB also rival consoles) 105,358 million yen ($679,4M right now).
image.png

In "Other software" they had a 55% improvement over last year, mostly due to the Helldivers 2 release on Steam, but back in Q1 and Q2 already had increases YoY and Q3 was only a bit down YoY (also understandable because of the difference of release vs previous year and also because ports of old games face the biggest releases of the year in that quarter).

Meaning we'll know it for sure May 30th, but Sony pretty likely achieved their $450M estimation and maybe even passed it. They are performing great in PC and have an insane growth as seen in their image.

Plus with around $450M they won't be the top 20 publisher on Steam, they will be way higher in the ranking.

Last edited:

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Maybe spending all of their profits on the money sink that is Bungie wasnt such a good idea?
The revenue they made has nothing ng to do with what they spent on Bungie. The two things are unrelated. Also Bungie sales are up player count is up and marathon will be huge next yr.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Lies. They expected $450M from PC for this FY and we don't know the exact amount they made (they share this data in the Business Segment Meeting, coming May 30th).

image.png

Lmao, Zuby is giving fake numbers?

But yeah the forecast is making it clear that Helldivers 2 over performing like mad helped cover Bungie shitting the bed.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: The Icon

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
So Hd2 is the bulk of that. We should exclude mlb since its not pc. So its much lower 720 million then.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
They don't need to bother with single player games

The winning strategy is GAAS games only. Not worth it to devalue the brand. If they do sell AAA games there, 3-4 years later is ideal.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
That's what we've been saying all along. The PC money is Destiny and Helldivers, the rest is a waste and they cut the legs on PS5 even more. Horrendous strategy.

other game flopped then, HFW?
They sold about 200,000 🤣

They could easily sell this to future PS5 customers and keep 100% of the profits but now that it's on PC it becomes "worthless" in the eyes of PS5 users so they don't buy it.