Destiny 2 game director Joe Blackburn is leaving Bungie next month. Tyson Green from the Halo PvP days will be the new Destiny 2 game director.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Witch Queen was his directorial debut. Before then a raid lead and before then I can’t remember. Directing the series and 3 expansions back to back was a bigger workload than his predecessors.

I like Joe and Witch Queen is sorta the best expansion. All of his contributions have been strong although I kinda blame him for how weak Lightfall was tbh.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Witch Queen was his directorial debut. Before then a raid lead and before then I can’t remember.

I like Joe and Witch Queen is sorta the best expansion. All of his contributions have been strong although I kinda blame him for how weak Lightfall was tbh.

Any idea where Luke Smith is gone?

Marathon?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
So much money spent on this awful studio, hope that they can at least carry their own weight going forward and don't end up hurting the other studios.

Reactions: Johnic

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Hmmm hope this isn't a sign of internal unrest but wish him the best..

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Any idea where Luke Smith is gone?

Marathon?

Last we heard that previous leads Mark Noseworthy and Luke Smith kinda moved up to producer roles and are working with expanding the ip further. But no update on this in ages.

• Informative
Reactions: Bryank75

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Wasnt there extra investment from Sony so this doesnt happen and key people dont leave?

Anyway, Sony needs some other studios. Wheres the counter to Bethesda and Activision we were told is gonna happen?

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
His replacement has been with Bungie since Myth. Pretty stellar credits tbh. Multiplayer design lead for Halo 3 being the biggest credit IMO.

Bonus. Luke smith sighting. Read further he goes on to describe his experience with both Joe and new director Tyson Green.

Bonus 2:

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
His replacement has been with Bungie since Myth. Pretty stellar credits tbh. Multiplayer design lead for Halo 3 being the biggest credit IMO.

Bonus. Luke smith sighting. Read further he goes on to describe his experience with both Joe and new director Tyson Green.

Bonus 2:

Is Elon's D4 take at all accurate? Funny that the super-genius likes skinner boxes though.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Witch Queen was his directorial debut. Before then a raid lead and before then I can’t remember. Directing the series and 3 expansions back to back was a bigger workload than his predecessors.

I keep hearing Witch Queen is the best expansion, I've only played a few minutes of it, but I'm enjoying the hell out of Lightfall. I might go back to Witch Queen when I'm done with Lightfall.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I keep hearing Witch Queen is the best expansion, I've only played a few minutes of it, but I'm enjoying the hell out of Lightfall. I might go back to Witch Queen when I'm done with Lightfall.

I enjoyed Lengendary Witch Queen quite a bit. A classic 8 mission shooter campaign. As clsssic Bungie as possible with tons of boss encounters and a banger soundtrack. I also think it has the game’s very best raid. Lightfall is the same format but w/ narrative issues directly tied to how they’re wrapping up this first story arc. A lot of your enjoyment is when you played what of course. Witch Queen year was undoubtedly their strongest ever.

I generally think campaigns that debut new class types like Stasis and Strand are generally weaker. Bungie makes you pay for everything at a cost and new class types are factored in to that $50 price tag. It’s just how they do business.

For that reason alone Final Shape should deliver. It’s pretty much all content vs making a new way to play.

Reactions: AllBizness

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Wasnt there extra investment from Sony so this doesnt happen and key people dont leave?

Anyway, Sony needs some other studios. Wheres the counter to Bethesda and Activision we were told is gonna happen?
That was just cope, looks like Sony ain't going to do shit. In their defense Xbox looks pretty much dead as a console maker.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I assume that after 10 years of Destiny, now that he completed the main work in Destiny 2 he may want to move on and do something else.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KvallyX