Destiny moves to TWO expansions a year

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
To mark the 10th anniversary Bungie has revealed that Destiny will now receive two mid-sized expansions a year.

“…Expansions have started to feel too formulaic and are over too quickly with little replay value. Seasons and Episodes keep getting bigger but can still feel like you are just going through the motions.

We believe it’s time for Destiny to change and evolve, and that our community wants this game to grow and innovate too. And to do that, we need to start breaking some of the molds. ”

d2_Frontiers_Roadmap.jpg

Destiny 2: Frontiers is the next MULTI-YEAR arc for the game.

Frontiers.jpg

From director Tyson Greene about expansions:
“Starting next year, instead of one big Expansion, we are going to deliver two medium-sized Expansions, one every six months. Each of these will depart from the one-shot campaign structure we’ve been using essentially unchanged since Shadowkeep, and each will be an opportunity to explore exciting new formats instead.

We are excited to try new things that challenge your idea of what a Destiny experience can be. We are actively prototyping non-linear campaigns, exploration experiences similar to the Dreaming City or Metroidvanias, and even more unusual formats like roguelikes or survival shooters. Each expansion will present a new opportunity to try something different.“

ABOUT SEASONS:

“Instead of three Episodes, we will be building four Major Updates per year, one every three months. Each Expansion will launch alongside a Major Update at the start of a Season, and then a second Major Update will follow three months later to refresh the Core Game with new and reprised content including:

• Activities: Strikes, Exotic missions, or entirely new modes like Onslaught
  • Rewards: weapons, armor, Artifact Mods, Exotics, and more
  • New weekly events
  • New features
  • Combat meta and balance updates”
“Each update will be a substantial refresh of the core game, bringing new activities and reward content. We are also excited to announce that, like Destiny 2: Into the Light, these updates and their content will be free to all players.”

CODENAME: APOLLO
The first expansion codename: APOLLO. Described as a non-linear character driven adventure.

APOLLO1.jpg

“Destiny is at its best when it's mysterious, weird, and not afraid to try new things. This shift to nonlinear stories isn’t something we’re locking ourselves into, but it is the structure that fits Codename: Apollo best. The narrative structure of the releases that follow will be quite different, a structure to suit that game’s experience, and we want to continue to innovate with each expansion across both gameplay and narrative. ”

APOLLO2.jpg

A wholesale rework to their player experience can be found here:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Are they finally going to quit vaulting content?

They don’t vault expansions or endgame content from seasons or episodes. Seasonal narrative and missions go away every year. Maybe not episodes.

But I would expect everything before which Queen to get vaulted sooner and more later. There’s an engine rework planned alongside marathon. If there’s a solution it’ll be some cloud solution or classic server of some kind.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
There’s a lot more that I’ll be editing in. Including details on codename Apollo but I’m kinda processing it all.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Oh, very interesting.

Will they still be about 50 euro or dollars?

It says raids and dungeons in the expansion part. Dungeons were separate these last few years. So I’m thinking 50 each because of that alone. This isn’t necessarily less content. I don’t expect it to be cheaper for the year than it is now if that makes any sense.

I always joked that players needed like 3 expansions a year. This is close to that. Dumping seasons altogether for narrative is great. They would have 5 different narratives a year … like why?

All of this is highly encouraging. Also cleans up their model a ton.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It says raids and dungeons in the expansion part. Dungeons were separate these last few years. So I’m thinking 50 each because of that alone. This isn’t necessarily less content. I don’t expect it to be cheaper for the year than it is now if that makes any sense.

I always joked that players needed like 3 expansions a year. This is close to that. Dumping seasons altogether for narrative is great. They would have 5 different narratives a year … like why?

All of this is highly encouraging.
I agree, some main narrative is essential to keep the most casual people coming back.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I agree, some main narrative is essential to keep the most casual people coming back.

I mean… a lot of the writing talent was cut and who they kept is the final shape writer it looks like. I can’t say keep such a large team on payroll is smart business either.

At the time is was cool but there’s a lot of wasted effort put into seasonal content, from activities we don’t play to a narrative that sometimes doesn’t really tie into the bigger picture anytime soon.

I think the attempt at making each expansion be drastically different with different gameplay gimmicks, from rogue like to Metroidvania is exciting tbh.

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Are they trying to find a balance?

At Destiny time it was 3 expansions per year.

It was never 3 expansions a year. DLC you’re thinking of for D1 and first few years of D2 is less content than current seasons/episodes.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It was never 3 expansions a year. DLC you’re thinking of for D1 and first few years of D2 is less content than current seasons/episodes.
That is what I have to Destiny.

Base > September 2014 (Year 1)
The Dark Below > December 2014 (Year 1)
House of Wolves > May 2015 (Year 1)
The Taken King > September 2015 (Year 2)
Rise of Iron > September 2016 (Year 3)

The first year was basically 3 DLCs... the second year they changed to 1 that felt very low to be fair.
In comparison Destiny 2 had less expansions per year:

Base > September 2017 (Year 4)
Curse of Osiris > December 2017 (Year 4)
Warmind > May 2018 (Year 4)
Forsaken > September 2018 (Year 5)
Shadowkeep > October 2019 (Year 6)
Beyond Light > November 2020 (Year 7)
The Witch Queen > February 2022 (Year 8)
Lightfall > February 2023 (Year 9)
The Final Shape > June 2024 (Year 10)

IMO I did like the 3 DLC per year (that for me was the best Destiny time)... it felt that you get fresh content each 3-4 months.
1 DLC per year is too longer time.

Anyway 2 expansions per year is way better than what they had with Destiny 2 except for Year 4.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Wait...they literally just said they want to explore NON LINEAR CAMPAIGNS?

This is one of the core problems with Bungie. Being forced on a treadmill kills brain cells. This is legit great news.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I like the new structure of two free expansions per year with major updates every 3 months.

Specially this sounds great to me, let's hope they end adding short single player -with optional coop- campaigns of these types:

"We are actively prototyping non-linear campaigns, exploration experiences similar to the Dreaming City or Metroidvanias, and even more unusual formats like roguelikes or survival shooters."

What and how was that Dreaming City thing?
Will they still be about 50 euro or dollars?
Apparently they'll be free.

When mentioned that they move from one big yearly expansion to two mid-sized expansions per year, and from 3 episodes per year to 4 major updates per year mentioned this:

"We are also excited to announce that, like Destiny 2: Into the Light, these updates and their content will be free to all players.

We want Destiny to be easier for anyone to play or recommend, so we want to remove that major barrier to the experience. *
"

"* = For all mentions of free content, some content on PS4/PS5 requires an active PlayStation Plus subscription to access."

The roadmap image features this, maybe they now give the expansions/major updates content for free and charge only for cosmetics and a "rewards pass" with more cosmetics:

image.png

When a GaaS game is that old, their main challenge normally is to get new players and to retain them. So seems a good idea to don't charge for expansions and provide great new content more frequently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Yurinka totally wrong

“This roadmap lays out our plan for Year 11 and beyond, with some exciting changes to our annual model:

• Two Expansions per year
  • Four Major Updates of FREE content every year “

It’s not two free expansions per year. It’s two paid expansions per year; each with campaign, raid and dungeon.

Seasonal content is separate. The activities will be free but there still be a battle pass. Still requires ps plus tho. There’s technically still four free “season” they will just no longer have their own narrative content, story missions, etc. but be built more like recent experiments of theirs like Onslaught (horde mode -sorta)

And ethomaz… you’re confusing expansions and dlc. Curse of Osiris snd Warmind were not expansions; neither was Crota or House of Wolves. Modern season and episodic content in Destiny is more than what those offered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Wait...they literally just said they want to explore NON LINEAR CAMPAIGNS?

This is one of the core problems with Bungie. Being forced on a treadmill kills brain cells. This is legit great news.

Apparently they want this new format to be an outlet to develop drastically different expansions. They specifically mentioned roguelikes, metroidvania and survival shooters.

This allows the game to become platform to more many genres. Also the best way to see what works best moving forward… try a bunch of stuff and see what resonates.

There was FIVE blog posts released today. There’s a wholesale rework of everything coming.