Destiny: Season of the Deep Trailer

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They’re in armor. Honestly we should sink. I don’t think air is mechanic. It could be part of puzzles and a mostly setting gimmick but combat shown was out of it.

Trailer shows nothing. They have a roguelite influenced mode buried in here somewhere. And of course the dungeon that launches Friday.

…goes live in two hours … I guess we’ll learn then :/

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Is it Martin Hatch doing the voiceover 😥

As someone who doesn't play Destiny that looks unbelievably lazy to me. Dudes just walking under water like that?
I think the underwater looks great. It's sci-fi so it doesn't need to be 100% believable.

D

Deleted member 223

Returnal bringing underwater warfare back.... seeing more risk to that regard since.

Game showing its age graphics wise but otherwise it should be a good change of pace from the usual.

• brain
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Is it Martin Hatch doing the voiceover 😥

I think the underwater looks great. It's sci-fi so it doesn't need to be 100% believable.

Yes, Lance Reddick was / is Commander Zavala since the first game, one of the most prominent characters. I guess they recorded this before he passed. RIP.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Supposedly all of Zavala’s lines are recorded for the season. After that is unknown.

There’s a lot riding on this season. Seasons following expansions tend to be a bit mid and don’t get interesting till the final 2 mostly. But for various reasons there’s more riding on this one. This is supposed to be the start of making changes to the seasonal model.

If you own Lightfall there are quests added this season for that expansion for more strand abilities and maybe a weapon or something .

They do piecemeal updates to the engine over time but don’t expect a major reskin or something till after the next expansion. And even then… it’ll just be retiring last gen with Xbox series s as lowest common denominator. I’m sure a big chunk of pc players are on lower end machines since the game is fairly well optimized.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Already 180k on Steam 🤯

Screenshot_20230523_170556_Samsung Internet.jpg

Number 3 after Counterstrike and DOTA (basically number 1 because they never leave those spots). Big success. I have to turn on my PS5 to check the new outfits.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Could peak higher when the rest of the west coast gets on or when dungeon drops.

That’s a better debut than the same season last year this time. That’s a good sign.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
This season’s story already delivering better than Lightfall. Finally being introduced to the final of Destiny’s hive god villains, Xivu Arath. Ooh she’s angry. I like it. Her dialogue was wild. You’re introduced to her with the opening story mission on Titan. She’s just a raging maniac. Whoever is doing the voice work… I commend them.

I didn’t do the new lightfall quest but heard good things. It’s also timegated with more to it coming over the next few weeks. Honestly, every season should have more big expansion related content for players who own it and not just for players who shell out for the live content. Hope they do that all year.

Xivu wants to resurrect Oryx. We learn what the veil is and the witness’ origins. We will fight Xivu in the dungeon Friday.

First impressions. 6 man activity is a bit lame but nice to see one again for casual play. Def not as fun as the ketchcrash stuff they did during the pirate season tho. The first of the weekly quests is whatever but there’s secrets to it apparently and multiple paths and encounters.

Haven’t fished yet but there’s three fishing holes across patrol spaces. Players seem to enjoy it. I like that you can keep them as pets and put them in aquarium at the helm.

Only scratched the surface. I’m actually really liking the weapons introduced this season. It’s a big loot drop; including Forsaken’s Last Wish raid weapons being craftable and reprised (which means Last Wish is in relevant again for raids —- that’s a huge deal for endgame) . And a good amount of snipers and hand canons… let’s go. Gimme them PvP god rolls.

being able to rotate weapon models in menus now is also a nice qol improvement.

New Titan exotic armor is fucking baller. You can throw your barricade shields as a grenade. Fucking awesome. Nice way to deal with hard scope sniper players and just toss a shield to block that lane. So good.

Population Metric discussion:

Season of the Deep has launched better than the same spring season following a major expansion this time last year by 8k when looking at steam concurrent. Since then Destiny has also been added to Epic Games Store. Game is growing. Slowly, but it’s still growing.

Season record holder is last summer when D1’s King Fall raid dropped and the game went f2p for all content for a week. That’s around 193k concurrent on steam for that drop. It reached that number with two free content gimmicks to do that. Season of the Deep with the dungeon key is over $20.

Could the dungeon drop on Friday push to break that? If it’s as fire as it’s rumored to be… it is possible. However, less people engage in endgame even when d2 players who engage with seasonal model are more than likely… hardcore d2 endgame players.

Last edited:
  • Informative