Developers Announce they will abandon Unity Engine if company doesn't reverse price changes

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
This is interesting:

As for Game Pass and other subscription services, Whitten said that developers like Aggro Crab would not be on the hook, as the fees are charged to distributors, which in the Game Pass example would be Microsoft.

Source.

I wonder if there will be push back from sub services on this policy. It's just so strange that Unity can just suddenly start charging for downloads after a certain numerical and revenue threshold. Why would anyone go along with this?

Reactions: toadsage44

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I'm not a expert on software licenses and law stipulations but the laws around software seem to be inadequate. They have no reason to do this other than because we can and you can't go into the software and remove the paywall so your forced to pay more rent to the creators. You remove the license then how will one make money off their work?

Reactions: toadsage44

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
The current CEO of Unity is John Ricitello, the former CEO of Electronic Arts who brought in Project $10 in the PS3 era, making some parts of their games not work for used copies without buying $10 unlocks.

He sold 2000 shares just days before this announcement. Also, it turns out he's sold 50 000 shares and bought none this year. Other execs at Unity also sold shares recently (before the announcement). This article talks about it. Considering it's John Ricitello running the show, I expect the scummiest explanation for all this.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Reactions: laynelane

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Good look for devs (they need).
Because without Unity they will really suffer with options (yeap Unreal Engine 5 won't fulfill their needs).

• haha
Reactions: Old Gamer

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
That argument from the Crab game regarding maximizing "shareholders" value makes no sense. If a company makes a change, or a series of changes, that end up costing them customers and revenues in the end they are not going to please the shareholders, neither the employees that will loose their jobs because of short sightedness from management.

So they may see adding revenue streams on the back of their clients as a good idea, the truth is it may force people to not use their product.

So we shall see.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
This is interesting:

Source.

I wonder if there will be push back from sub services on this policy. It's just so strange that Unity can just suddenly start charging for downloads after a certain numerical and revenue threshold. Why would anyone go along with this?
Well, it may save some games from being pushed as gamepass garbage if MS decides not to have them on their platform.

Either way, I don't think it helps at all, even if the money is not directly taken from the devs it will impact their contracts, or the attractiveness of their games to games rental platform.

Imagine if Sony\Canon\Nikon found a way to charge a per eye ball fee on your photos? Then Adobe found a way to charge you as well if too many people looked at images you manipulated using their Photoshop or Lightroom? Oh if MS charged a fee if you coded something with VS code and too many people got to use the piece of code?

That kind of licensing BS has to stop. But we are in the time of SaaS, so managers will try everything to get more money from their clients.

Reactions: laynelane

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well, it may save some games from being pushed as gamepass garbage if MS decides not to have them on their platform.

Either way, I don't think it helps at all, even if the money is not directly taken from the devs it will impact their contracts, or the attractiveness of their games to games rental platform.

Imagine if Sony\Canon\Nikon found a way to charge a per eye ball fee on your photos? Then Adobe found a way to charge you as well if too many people looked at images you manipulated using their Photoshop or Lightroom? Oh if MS charged a fee if you coded something with VS code and too many people got to use the piece of code?

That kind of licensing BS has to stop. But we are in the time of SaaS, so managers will try everything to get more money from their clients.
There needs to be a constitutional amendment saying that contracts with variable terms (the "we reserve the right to change the terms at any time" type clauses) are not a legally enforceable contract. I can't believe that they let companies get away with that shit.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
There needs to be a constitutional amendment saying that contracts with variable terms (the "we reserve the right to change the terms at any time" type clauses) are not a legally enforceable contract. I can't believe that they let companies get away with that shit.
Well, in this case they are going against other companies. There could be a couple of lawsuits, if there is ground for them and if the companies affected have the pockets for it.

It evidently makes no sense to just hike prices like that, using completely different metrics to change how they count what they bill for. I have worked in many software companies, usually when the bosses gets that greedy the employees find a way to reason with them... or well, they learn fast that people can migrate to different tools.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty