DF Direct Weekly #146: Indiana Jones, Hellblade 2... Developer_Direct - Superb!

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

• 0:00:00 Introduction
  • 0:00:44 News 01: Developer_Direct 2024 reaction: Indiana Jones and the Great Circle
  • 0:21:06 News 01: Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2
  • 0:33:41 News 01: Ara: History Untold
  • 0:39:35 News 01: Visions of Mana
  • 0:46:15 News 01: Avowed
  • 0:54:03 News 02: Hellblade 2 to go digital-only
  • 1:10:49 News 03: Is The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered worthwhile?
  • 1:23:08 News 04: RTX 40 Super series reaction + Q&A
  • 1:45:50 News 05: Bulletstorm VR is a disappointment
  • 1:53:05 Supporter Q1: How much manpower does it take to produce current-gen 60fps patches for consoles?
  • 1:57:32 Supporter Q2: Was 2023 the year of the in-house engine?
  • 2:04:24 Supporter Q3: Will 2024 be the year of Linux gaming?

As for Indiana Jones and the Great Circle, it's great to see Machine Games at work on a project of this magnitude - and this studio definitely qualified for the task. Key Starbreeze staff members still work at Machine, and it's great to see DNA from the Riddick games and The Darkness present in the new Indy game. That starts with the first-person perspective, giving way to third-person for cutscenes and traversal - just like Riddick.

Engine technology is confirmed as idTech - the engine Machine Games has used extensively in its prior Wolfenstein titles - meaning that Indiana Jones should be shipping on Xbox consoles running at 60 frames per second, while the pedigree of the tech should ensure a high quality, stutter-free PC experience. Everything seems to be aligning perfectly on this one and at Digital Foundry, we're very excited about this one

Beyond Developer Direct and the other titles discussed in the Microsoft showcase, we spend some time discussing the decision not to release Hellblade 2 as a physical media product. This, in combination with the Microsoft FTC's leak about an 'adorably all-digital' Xbox Series X suggest some momentum towards the discontinuation of Xbox discs. Perhaps it's what the audience wants at this point and to be honest, shipping discs that sometimes have no code on them isn't exactly ideal. Either way, we're concerned about this on several fronts: in terms of the preservation of games, not to mention the user's right to actually buy a piece of software and own it, share it or sell it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
DF = deluted fanatics.

Can't name anything else, pushing bullshit, you have to be one.
When you go in the article while they are praising last gen looking Indiana Jones they threw a dig at Tlou 2 Remaster from pro to PS5😂 out of all games you put both of these in the same video even if you know you can't compare them bcus Tlou 2 will slaughter any game on Xbox (thy weren't comparing them but tlou 2 ps5 versus pro version) , it's just still funny.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
That advertising machine trying hard lol now they review part 1? Really and his only gripe was the puzzles 😂😂 gtfo boy the astroturfing is so real.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
That advertising machine trying hard lol now they review part 1? Really and his only gripe was the puzzles 😂😂 gtfo boy the astroturfing is so real.

XboxEra started in the summer of 2020 so they didn't exist when the game released and what better time to review it than now, a few months before the sequel releases? Definitely too high of a score (I rated it an 8.0/10 personally) but at the same time, my friend who's a PlayStation guy loved it more than I did and rated it either an 8.5/10 or even perhaps a 9.0/10 I forgot which). He's super hyped for the sequel also more than I am. lol

I do understand the puzzles being the only gripe because that was my only major negative too. While the combat has no depth to it, it doesn't need to because it's a short game. Adding depth or some skill tree bullshit would make the game worse, not better.

For Hellblade 2, just give me a few extra moves like that dodge move, some better combos and most of all, dismemberment and decapitations and I will be more than happy with the combat especially for a game that will probably take me around 10 hours or so to complete.

Of course, that's just my own personal opinion.

Arc

5 Sep 2023
Cringe. Superb is certainly not the word I’d use for a few games getting downgraded or just looking alright.

Granted I just sorted through the big hits, Avowed, Hellblade, and Indiana Jones.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
man they're desperate for any positive press rn. calling it superb is laughable.