DF Direct Weekly #180: The PS5 Pro Breakdown: GT7, TLOUp2, Ratchet, Horizon, Alan Wake 2 + More!

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Alan Wake 2
Based on our testing, Alan Wake 2 runs at 864p internal resolution on PlayStation 5 Pro in the 60fps clip, while the equivalent base PS5 mode operates at 847p. Firstly, we can safely assume that in transitioning from FSR 2 upscaling to PSSR, we will see a substantial quality upgrade. However, perhaps more important is to consider what Remedy will be doing with the Pro's extra resources in increasing quality elsewhere because obviously, the extra GPU horsepower in the Big Three is going to be used for features that Remedy prefers over simply increasing resolution. This is basic commonsense.

Hogwarts Legacy
SA2Vi.png

SA2Vj.png

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The Last of Us Part 2: 1440p @ 60fps PSSR to 4k (IQ similar to PS5 Fidelity mode that runs at 30fps).
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart: DRS 1440-1800p @ 60fps PSSR to 4k (IQ similar to PS5 Performance RT mode that had lower resolution 1080-1440p)
Alan Wake 2: 1260p @ 30fps with RT PSSR 4k / 864p @ 60fps without RT PSSR 4k (this mode has better settings than PS5 similar mode that runs at 847p @ 60fps)
Gran Turismo 7: 1188p @ 60fps with RT (reflections at 1080p) PSSR 4k.
Assassin's Creed Shadows: 864p @ 60fps PSSR4k

Most use of PSSR here is around DLSS Performance or Balance.
DF says it is better than FSR2.
More developers choose to go with RT and higher IQ settings than resolution increase... some even choose to drop the resolution and use PSSR to have more spare power to RT and IQ settings.

You can say from these early games that PS5 Pro is a way better machines to work with the trade offs.
Where PS5 was very limited to what you could choose in terms of trade offs.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Lol all the whining over nothing.
860p is for performance mode in AW2
1200p is for quality mode but looks like it might have RT (which it had not before).

Gone is god awful pixelated FSR2.... that is all great news. that AW2 footage looked good.
F the haters

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
So is PSSR giving DLSS a run for it's money? A friend acts like DLSS is a game changer for his PC, a Sony equivalent would be very nice.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I feel like the design of the thing could have been a bit fancier...

Like if they're gonna charge apple prices...have apple presentation.

The issue with graphics comparisons is that it will inevitably be compared to every type of PC setup for the next few years... And that is pretty unfair.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
So is PSSR giving DLSS a run for it's money? A friend acts like DLSS is a game changer for his PC, a Sony equivalent would be very nice.

You could say comparable but I think DLSS at this point is much more mature and utilized by devs. Not sure if the algorithm can be patented though to be different.

Reactions: voke
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I feel like the design of the thing could have been a bit fancier...

Like if they're gonna charge apple prices...have apple presentation.

The issue with graphics comparisons is that it will inevitably be compared to every type of PC setup for the next few years... And that is pretty unfair.

That only makes PS5 Pro more of a bargain.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
You could say comparable but I think DLSS at this point is much more mature and utilized by devs. Not sure if the algorithm can be patented though to be different.
Yeah that's to be expected.... I'm just curious about the boost it provides hopefully it's comparable at the very least.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah that's to be expected.... I'm just curious about the boost it provides hopefully it's comparable at the very least.
We'll have to wait after launch.

This footage can be from an unfinished version that still doesn't have the final fixes and polish, and maybe the boost varies depending on the game, or the area of the game, or the mode/resolution selected.

Maybe it performs better in some conditions, worse in others. Who knows. We'll need to see the final implementation, a bigger sample of videos and games to compare and also how differs from its usage in old patched games that only take advantage of this PS5 Pro feature vs future ones who also take advantage of the other things plus maybe even were designed having it on mind.

And well, it's fair to assume that like FSR and DLSS it will evolve over time with different versions. As an example, seems that right now it doesn't feature framerate generation to further boost fps at the cost of extra input lag. They may add framerate generation later, years after release.

It's too early but I'd say is comparable to DLSS and way better than FSR (in terms of upscaling, not in frame generation).

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
It's too early but I'd say is comparable to DLSS and way better than FSR (in terms of upscaling, not in frame generation).

Frame interpretation shouldn't be a think imho. Also FSR is software-based and PSSR and DLSS are hardware accelerated. Maybe FSR or a new name will come to AMD's next cards for similar method.