DF: We were arch-sceptics for years - but cloud gaming can work

D

Deleted member 417

Anyone who pushes cloud streaming can go fornicate themselves with an iron stick.

It's bad enough that digital, always online and day one patches are the norm now, I won't take part in any kind of streaming, regardless of reason or excuse.

I haven't streamed a single game on my 1x and I won't start now, even though I'm a yuge fan of monkey Island and want to play the new one, out of principal I won't stream it.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Anyone who pushes cloud streaming can go fornicate themselves with an iron stick.

It's bad enough that digital, always online and day one patches are the norm now, I won't take part in any kind of streaming, regardless of reason or excuse.

I haven't streamed a single game on my 1x and I won't start now, even though I'm a yuge fan of monkey Island and want to play the new one, out of principal I won't stream it.
Give someone else the iron stick 😂😂😂 I'll pass.

• haha
Reactions: Deleted member 417

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
If a game comes out on GeForce now and PS5, I will buy it on GeForce now, that's how good the experience is on there. I like being able to play games on my laptop or my phone with 4090 level graphics. Game Hardware will go the way of CD players, obsolete machines that will offer a worse quality. Especially in like 5 years where games start offloading physics and better graphics through server compute

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If a game comes out on GeForce now and PS5, I will buy it on GeForce now, that's how good the experience is on there. I like being able to play games on my laptop or my phone with 4090 level graphics. Game Hardware will go the way of CD players, obsolete machines that will offer a worse quality. Especially in like 5 years where games start offloading physics and better graphics through server compute
If you wanted to play games with 4090 level graphics you should play it in a 4090.

GeForce Now 4090 streaming is nowhere close to 4090 level graphics.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yep, I remember testing Stadia, and the image quality was like playing a very compressed YouTube video. Wasn't a great experience.

I'm sure there's a use case for streaming, like games with very basic graphics, or to quickly test out a game.
It looked muddy in the browser, where you could only get the 1080p stream. Eventually that was improved. The Chromecast Ultra gave a pretty nice 4k stream... then the next Chromecast didn't support Stadia.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I live in Australia our Internet is still too slow for cloud gaming, We never got PlayStation Now and even to this day we still can't stream ps3 games.

It doesn't matter how good cloud gaming gets if countries like Australia have slow internet

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
We dont even have cloud gaming here in Australia because our internet infrastructure is so terrible, what are we even supposed to do?

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
We dont even have cloud gaming here in Australia because our internet infrastructure is so terrible, what are we even supposed to do?
Are you guys and girls still being schooled by radio in the outback?

I remember Skippie.

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Are you guys and girls still being schooled by radio in the outback?

I remember Skippie.

Australia is basically like California if it was its own country, we have the same type of biomes and culture. Large desert but also jungles and forests.

Even in our big cities, our internet sucks because the Government decided that 25mb/s was more than enough for the Average Australian

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
If you wanted to play games with 4090 level graphics you should play it in a 4090.

GeForce Now 4090 streaming is nowhere close to 4090 level graphics.
I'm just now seeing this but I'll do what i please with my money. Geforce now is quite literally using 4090 cards on their servers. I can play Cyberpunk Path tracing with DLSS 3 frame generation all from the comfort of my laptop, and I don't even have the best internet.

Anyway, just like music evolved from cd's to streaming, and same for movies and dvd's, graphics tech will continue to evolve to accommodate remote rendering. It's not a question of if but when.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Two of DF's big sponsors I think are Nvidia and MS. Folks should not be surprised here... bought and paid for. This fact is not a point of contention... no manner how much sheep and fanboys try to shield DF by claiming the contrary (mostly out of partisan console war motivations.... god take pity on the truly deluded - pea brains). Remember paid online? Similar MO with media plants. The gaming/tech journalism industry exists for one thing first and foremost, and that is to promote the products that corporations make. Everything else is secondary in nature.

The goal is an industry where you own nothing, you dictate nothing in terms of the direction of the market or the choices in business policy yet consume like a slave with little significant alternatives to the dominant market players setting the agenda. Except of course the cloud future requires a coup e'ta, a change of the old guard (Sony and Nintendo) to the new comers, (Nvidia, Amazon, Google, and the eternal pest MS). That is the cloud future. That is the physical hardware less and physical medium for software less future, and that includes precious PC too btw... although of course, they will phase PC's out in a much slower fashion, after all daddy MS and Nvidia are huge PC stakeholders who love PC whales but you bet your savings the knife is coming too for "infinite preservation "open" platform".

Anyone that cheers for it while enjoying and being attracted/brought to gaming under the reign of the traditional model is out of their goddam mind and needs their head examined just for psychological study to untangle the crazy rationale that folks can come up with to justify their conditioning by corporations and their stooges whose sole goal is their bottom-line, not the health of an industry or any other nonsense as "the future". They don't dictate the future, only when you buy into it does that "future" become a "reality". They would love to kill consoles, except those pesky Japanese (Nintendo/Sony) are not onboard yet due to their own self-interest and reasons (they got the market for themselves already - they're not stupid). It's those pesky Japanese that hold combined roughly 250-270 million affluent gamers in their pocket from the G7. The product that has a hold on those 250-270 million consumers is called a video game console, and the model for software sales is called, and has become known as the traditional model - TRIED AND TRUE. Those cloud pushers do not have those 250-270 million affluent gaming consumers in their pocket, despite all their wealth and all their attempts to shape and bend the market, despite the puff pieces from sold out influencers (Media, VIP or otherwise) despite the "inevitability" of their predicted "future". Those cloud pushers continue to fail to attract those consumers to their "future" and "vision". Google failed spectacularly, and Nvidia is a fucking fart in the wind as far as their cloud push with GeForce Now is concerned.

You can tell how much these corps hate the traditional consoles by the fact that their cloud future is one where the hardware (server blade hardware composition) is owned by the corp, not the consumer. That server blade being a literal console (that is, the hardware with the processing power that runs the software as the output). You're offered less, and the hardware is outside consumer ownership and control. The goal is to offer less, and take in more (improved margins), not offer more, and take in less.

They know they can't compete and don't want to even try to compete in the console space so they don't do it directly but instead work at the seams to try to steer the industry in their direction. Only MS for obvious reasons aka Windows protection racket has tried to do so and struck Gold with Sony's once in a lifetime display of total ineptitude and incompetence (early PS2-PS3 transition and gen). The reward however is a bitter pill, cause MS has been bleeding ($$$) for it since the OG Xbox.

FUCK OFF! Overwhelming majority of gamers don't want your shit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm just now seeing this but I'll do what i please with my money. Geforce now is quite literally using 4090 cards on their servers. I can play Cyberpunk Path tracing with DLSS 3 frame generation all from the comfort of my laptop, and I don't even have the best internet.

Anyway, just like music evolved from cd's to streaming, and same for movies and dvd's, graphics tech will continue to evolve to accommodate remote rendering. It's not a question of if but when.
That is fine and nothing of what I said go against you wanting to use GeForce Now.
You said "I like being able to play games on my laptop or my phone with 4090 level graphics".
And that is not true at all.

But I will repeat.

If you want to play games in RTX 4090 quality only RTX 4090 quality will give you that.
GeForce Now 4090 doesn't replicate the experience of RTX 4090 and it is nowhere close to it.

Why? Several reasons.

- Performance is worst (some games less other games significant)
- There is Image Quality degradation
- Occasional lagginess, stuttering and hitching even with best internet connection and close to servers
- Ray-tracing kills framerate even more than local RTX 4090
- Bugs
- Lack of some nVidia Graphica cards features

That was my point... GeForce Now is good for a lot of reasons but it doesn't reach local GPU quality and performance.

BTW that more detailed can give others how is the state of GeForce Now right now.
If you expect a gaming experience closes to RTX 3070 or RTX 3080 mayve you can get there with the best GeForce Now option... even so you will have come minor issues not found in local hardware plus the dependency of your internet connection.