DF Weekly: Is FSR 3 frame generation viable for console games?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Inevitably, the latest DF Direct Weekly arrives today, with plenty of discussion about Starfield in the wake of the review embargo, while we also talk about the compromises required to get Baldur's Gate 3 out this year on Xbox Series consoles. Series S loses the challenging split-screen feature, with its addition planned for some point in the future. However, I want to spend the lion's share of this blog discussing the reaction to AMD's FSR 3 frame generation technology and potential integrations on current-gen consoles, because we can't help but feel that a certain level of expectation management is required.

It seems that people are very excited about the possibilities here and to be fair, I get it. Myself, John and Alex experienced FSR 3 on PC versions of Forspoken and Immortals of Aveum, and in terms of image quality and frame-rate increases, it's clear that the technology is legit and it's definitely comparable to DLSS 3. And yes, it's also going to be open source, meaning that it can be deployed on practically any graphics hardware including the current generation of consoles.

However, it's also fair to say that expectations for the console implementation are sky high and perhaps unrealistic based on what we know of it so far. Of course, Digital Foundry will be reviewing FSR 3 in due course and we should have a much tighter grip on what the technology is capable of then, but right now, a number of caveats should be slapped on to possible console implementations.

DF Direct Weekly #127 inevitably contains a vast segment on Starfield review reactions, but there's also lots of time spent discussing FSR 3 and a couple of John's recent positive gaming experiences.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
No, I highly doubt it. AMD says minimum to use it is 60fps, so it's not gonna be good for making 30 fps or 40 fps -> 60 fps

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't know how Xbox fans will take this video.
John clear talk about expectations and people should know that before.
He says It is not a space exploration game. It is a Bethesda's game in space.

Basically no innovation or revolution to space games... it is basically Fallout, Skyrim or whatever in space theme.
For bad or good.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
John had positive experiences?

He isn’t going to scream and cry like a little bitch for a limited window of time?

Holy shit.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
John had positive experiences?

He isn’t going to scream and cry like a little bitch for a limited window of time?

Holy shit.
I don't think the game was what he expected because he focus a lot in expectations in the video.
Seems like he should have know (set the expectations) what it is.

John: "There is load screen in everything" 😂.
Alex: "It is less immersive and crash with what the advertising... advertising was not showing you walking any new area to have big load screens".
John: "It is not like they lied... they just hide information".
Alex: "Their omission let people imagination brow out. They expected Star Citizen or No Man Sky exploration but got Starfield".

😂 😂 😂

Not the exactly quote but what I remember.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I forget to say.

Richard "All loading screen were edited in Gamecom presentation and they couldn't talk about it because they are in embargo. They fell it was too smooth but have no evidence to backup their feelings.".

🔥

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I will give the props where it is needed.

Alex correctly said that even on PC people wants simplicity... so less options.
They want to run the game at max change one of two things and start to play.

Something I always said in this forum... especially to consoles that should have little to no graphical options.
Developers should make our gaming life simples and not confuse and complex.

10 to Alex in that regard (one that the very niche PCMR will be mad).

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
More options on PC graphics menus is always better. Let us figure it out how we want to run our game. Can't believe the DF guy said that.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Alex correctly said that even on PC people wants simplicity... so less options.
They want to run the game at max change one of two things and start to play.

Something I always said in this forum... especially to consoles that should have little to no graphical options.
Developers should make our gaming life simples and not confuse and complex.

Only someone with the IQ of a pineapple has issues with graphical options. I get that we want as few as possible on consoles, but let's let PC gamers pick what they want.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I don't know how Xbox fans will take this video.
John clear talk about expectations and people should know that before.
He says It is not a space exploration game. It is a Bethesda's game in space.

Basically no innovation or revolution to space games... it is basically Fallout, Skyrim or whatever in space theme.
For bad or good.
According to the blond Allanah chick, it's missing the fundamental Bethesda vastness and exploration. You teleport to a settlement, etc. and done - limited discovery.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Devs will probably use FSR3 for 30-60FPS anyways, and it'll be good for games that are CPU limited but have GPU cycles to spare, like e.g. Starfield.

DF will cry about it like they cry about big bad devs using "inferior FSR2" whose implementation spans for the entire gaming market (even the Switch), but it won't make any difference.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Devs will probably use FSR3 for 30-60FPS anyways, and it'll be good for games that are CPU limited but have GPU cycles to spare, like e.g. Starfield.

DF will cry about it like they cry about big bad devs using "inferior FSR2" whose implementation spans for the entire gaming market (even the Switch), but it won't make any difference.
Will be very useful for psvr2, 60 to 120 with 60 fidelity

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Reprojection is only tied to headset motion from my understanding.
It is, but I don’t see how you can match reprojection with generation, and VR devs will probably prefer to use the former because the latter doesn't respond to head motion and might actually cause more nausea and motion sickness.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It is, but I don’t see how you can match reprojection with generation, and VR devs will probably prefer to use the former because the latter doesn't respond to head motion and might actually cause more nausea and motion sickness.
generation can use motion sensors embedded in the headset as an additional input into the motion vector information used for TAA

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Interesting to see all this talk and see how it plays out for PS5pro if it's a similar solution.