Diablo IV Sales Revenue Has Already Exceeded $1 Billion

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Source

Blizzard has earned a significant amount of revenue from Diablo IV in the over a year since its release. Harrison Froeschke, the Senior Product Manager for the discussed title, provided an estimated amount generated by the fourth installment of the popular hack and slash.

Surprisingly, this information was not made public on the developer's official website, but on Froeschke's LinkedIn profile, specifically in his job description. Diablo IV has generated more than a billion dollars in revenue since its release, including approximately 150 million dollars from in-game microtransactions.

Blizzard Reveals How Much Money Players Spent on Microtransactions in Diablo 4. Sales Revenue Has Already Exceeded $1 Billion - picture #1

Harrison Froeschke / LinkedIn.

It's worth noting here that within 5 days of the game's debut in June 2023, it had already made 666 million dollars (largely thanks to pre-orders), a fact that Blizzard was eager to boast about at the time. Crossing the billion-dollar revenue barrier may not be all that surprising, although it should be noted that Diablo IV has been included in the Game Pass service since June of this year.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
As a GaaS that upfront sales to recurrent monetization rate is pretty shit. Maybe they shouldn't have fucked the game up a month after launch and then never bothered to fix it.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Man I never could get into diablo, at most finished D3 campaign. D4 was such a borefest, the only franchise worth its salt that blizzard has is warcraft

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
As a GaaS that upfront sales to recurrent monetization rate is pretty shit. Maybe they shouldn't have fucked the game up a month after launch and then never bothered to fix it.

Diablo isn't really a gaas you can play the entire game as a single player story if you want.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Yes and no.
You can play SP, but it is always online, second, it gets seasons, dlc, extra content with constant support. Yes, it is GaaS.

Most GAAS are fully playable as solo games or campaigns aside from the strictly PvP ones mostly or something like helldivers.

Diablo is definitely GAAS.

These “numbers” are surprising considering d4’s engagement has been in the gutter since launch.

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
I started Diablo IV (my first Diablo), played for 6 hours and then it became too difficult for me, and I gave up.

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
I started Diablo IV (my first Diablo), played for 6 hours and then it became too difficult for me, and I gave up.
It's a completely different game now season of the loot rebalanced everything from loot stats to damage output. Loads of builds got bumped up in power the game has had a complete overhaul from launch.

Reactions: KvallyX

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
It's a completely different game now season of the loot rebalanced everything from loot stats to damage output. Loads of builds got bumped up in power the game has had a complete overhaul from launch.
I had no idea. I figured I just pissed away $70. I will download it again to try it out. Thank you!

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
There was a world-tier system where you could lower the game's difficulty. On its lowest setting, it's extremely hard to die.

They are changing this in the future with basically just difficulty levels, so you should be able to find a difficulty level that is tailor-made for you.

• Heart
Reactions: KvallyX

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I didn't keep playing after the credits rolled. Idk, i found this game boring. not bad by any means, just boring to play .

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
There was a world-tier system where you could lower the game's difficulty. On its lowest setting, it's extremely hard to die.

They are changing this in the future with basically just difficulty levels, so you should be able to find a difficulty level that is tailor-made for you.
Thank you. That’s exactly what I needed.

Reactions: Sircaw

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
They made 666 million in 5 days and 334 million in the rest of the 9 months, Yeah D4 is cooked PoE 2 will eat its lunch money

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
how are they cooked, making 1B? i thought you are cooked when you sell 25k copies..
Diablo 4 bungled the same way helldivers 2 did, they lost a lot of players. My brother who is a diablo nut went back to PoE 1 after season 2, mind you this is a guy who spent 1500+ hrs on diablo3 before the expansion.

The IP and Blizzard itself have lost a lot of goodwill, I am not saying that the next diablo will only sell 25k copies but it will sell a lot less than D4 did in launch week. They have fucked up a lot with Diablo immortal and now D4 and its very hard to get players back once they have moved on

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Diablo 4 bungled the same way helldivers 2 did, they lost a lot of players. My brother who is a diablo nut went back to PoE 1 after season 2, mind you this is a guy who spent 1500+ hrs on diablo3 before the expansion.

The IP and Blizzard itself have lost a lot of goodwill, I am not saying that the next diablo will only sell 25k copies but it will sell a lot less than D4 did in launch week. They have fucked up a lot with Diablo immortal and now D4 and its very hard to get players back once they have moved on

D3 had one of the worst launches of all time and the game was crap for a long while. It ended up being a massive success. This one launched on more platforms on day one by comparison.

Eventually it will also launch on switch 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zzero

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
D3 had one of the worst launches of all time and the game was crap for a long while. It ended up being a massive success. This one launched on more platforms by comparison.

Eventually it will also launch on switch 2.
It may launch on switch but little timmy is not buying D4, Diablo like all blizzard IPs pre 2015 is PC centric that is where their fanbase exists. And D3 had the luxury of not having PoE as a competitor. With the way PoE 2 is shaping up Diablo has huge competition