Did Tears of The Kingdom evolve the world enough for you?

Did Tears of the Kingdom evolve the world of Hyrule from its predecessor enough for you?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Listen, I love both the open-world Zelda games. At the end of the day, no open world games match them when it comes to being a playground for your imagination. The stuff you can do in these games is wild. At the same time though, Tears of the Kingdom never made the same impact as Breath of the Wild for me for one primary reason: exploration. I was completely blown away by Breath of the Wild because I had no idea what to expect. Nintendo's marketing leading up to that game pretty much hid most of the game. It was incredibly exhilarating leaving the great plateau for the first time, and being gobsmacked by just how big the map was. Seeing my first labyrinth off in the distance made my jaw drop. There was so much cool shit to uncover, and never knowing what was around the corner made Breath of the Wild to me a special game. I fell in love with that world.

With Tears of the Kingdom, I initially thought it was a great decision to reuse the map because I love the idea of seeing a world I was familiar with evolve. I wanted to see a Hyrule that was in a rebuilding phase, and thought the team would be able to add a bunch of crazier things onto the map now that they don't have to create the geography from scratch. Well, that didn't end up happening... We got 1 new town. One. Hyrule Castle wasn't all that different, and acted once again as the final dungeon. Revisiting a lot of the other towns left me underwhelmed as well. Oh cool, Rito Village is completely covered in snow! I wonder what's going to happen after I clear the dungeon. Oh, it just returns to how it was in Breath of the Wild. Seriously? Why did they do that for so many locations? It's the same with Zora's Domain, Goron City, and Lurelin as well. I was so disappointed when the game built up the idea of Lurelin being taken over by pirates only for it to amount to a bunch of Bokoblins that I have to fight plus some busywork to get it back to the state that it was in the previous game. I think it's disappointing that these locations get less interesting the more you play. Kakariko's state of affairs is completely new, which is fine I guess, but that also extends to my point that there are no quests tied to the locations that are as interesting as in Breath of the Wild. I remembering arriving in Kakariko for the first time, and just spending an entire night meeting all the townspeople and doing quests for them. When it culminated in a shrine and a neat little resolution to all the events that led up to that moment, I felt greatly rewarded that I built a connection to the little village and it's people. Not here though.

I don't know man. I feel like they could have done so much more with the world. I'm being very negative so I'll say they did add some cool stuff. Caves were by far the best addition, and gave me a reason to comb through the map again in detail. The quests revolving around the post-office were a nice bit of world-building and by far the best quest chain in the game. My overall thoughts though are that TOTK lacked the wow factor and sense of adventure BOTW had for me. I know you can't repeat stuff like Eventide for the second time, but I was hoping for something new that catches me off guard like that. The game lacks the memorability of finding people like the crazy flower lady or locations like the Yiga hideout for the first time. Where are those unique encounters? Addison is fine I guess, but got very old after a while.

I haven't mentioned the depths and the sky yet because quite frankly they were major disappointments. I will give the depths credit for giving me that initial wow factor, but it loses its luster completely when you realize it's gimmick and the fact that there is nothing of interest down there outside two dungeon areas, which having unique theming and puzzles. The sky? Why is the most interesting part of it the tutorial? There's some neat islands like the one where the water level lowers or the place with there are perpetual lightning strikes; however, it needed so much more. I'm rambling now so my final point will be that the game double-downed on interactivity, but didn't meaningfully add new additions to other aspects that I felt needed more work. I'm not even going to get into dungeons, which fucking sucked, or how the the game just discounts the lore of the previous game to introduce a whole new backstory out of nowhere. In many ways, TOTK felt like a soft-reboot of BOTW rather than a sequel except this time you can just fly over the map and engage with it less meaningfully.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I’m forever interested in these. My pc is strong enough to max it out, but I just can’t bring myself to play on it. Should I do remote play in the theatre?

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Bore of the Wild was enough The Legend Of Physics Simulator. Hopefully the next game will be a proper TLOZ game. The Legend of Link releasing next seems to be a step in the right direction.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Grr… I meant to vote NO

Felt like an expansion. Most expansions have bigger gameplay changes tho. Same combat. Same trash loot system. Still no dungeons. The banjo kazooie nuts and bolts stuff was for the Fortnite gen but I honestly hated it.

The overworld wasn’t even a reskin but a copy and paste. Extremely low effort and after 20 hours of seeing the same nothing and collecting the same dekushit seeds. After such long of a dev time.. yikes

Huge disappointment. I love botw but Elden Ring ended up being the fantasy adventure sequel to Zelda I’ve wanted since OoT.

Last edited:

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I don’t know about evolving the world. It’s the same world map, but the underworld and the sky islands add an exciting twist. The gameplay additions were phenomenal, IMO. It felt fresh; I love the physics system and puzzles and getting creative with them. Also, some of the accidental shenanigans were hilarious.

On the downside, the combat is still serviceable at best, and the weapon-breaking system is BS.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It is the same to ask... did Ragnarok evolved the world over GoW?
It is the same engine, world design, etc... you have enhancements but expecting something evolved is a bit too much for a sequel base an already solid base.

I will not vote because that is not the aim of TotK sequel just like Ragnorok wasn't too.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
It is the same to ask... did Ragnarok evolved the world over GoW?
It is the same engine, world design, etc... you have enhancements but expecting something evolved is a bit too much for a sequel base an already solid base.

I will not vote because that is not the aim of TotK sequel just like Ragnorok wasn't too.

The difference is Ragnarok is a continuation of a narrative, and its very narrative focused.

ToTK pretty much acted like BoTW never happened, and the narrative was probably the weakest part of the game

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The difference is Ragnarok is a continuation of a narrative, and its very narrative focused.

ToTK pretty much acted like BoTW never happened, and the narrative was probably the weakest part of the game
?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say... TotK happens ~5 years closely based on the events of the original.
Without BotW... TotW events should not exists at all.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say... TotK happens ~5 years closely based on the events of the original.
Without BotW... TotW events should not exists at all.

They barely reference the events of BoTW in ToTK, it’s like an entirely different timeline. No Sheika technology to be found anywhere or guardians, no reference to calamity Gannon, people act from the first game act as if you never met, etc.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They barely reference the events of BoTW in ToTK, it’s like an entirely different timeline. No Sheika technology to be found anywhere or guardians, no reference to calamity Gannon, people act from the first game act as if you never met, etc.
Because Calamity Gannon was defected... everything related like Sheika Tech, Guardians, etc were vanished from the world.

"They disappeared after the Calamity was defeated (sealed)," Fujibayashi explained in an interview with the Telegraph. "All of the people of Hyrule also witnessed this, but there is no one who knows the mechanism or reason why they disappeared, and it is considered a mystery. It is believed that since the Calamity disappeared, they also disappeared as their role had been fulfilled."

It is indeed like these never existed because they where removed from the world.
I don't know how people understand that but for me it is like if something caused some magical elements to exists... if that something stop to exists then all magical elements will be stop to exists too.

If a magical hurricane started because I was born in the world then when I die it will just not exists anymore.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I'm a little too old to be playing Nintendo Switch games. Seriously, the only adults I know that play the Switch are people online I will never meet.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Zzero

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Well, they added a lot in the depths and even the sky, and it played better as a game, but they clearly didn't give a shit about world-building for base Hyrule in TotK and kind of ruined the feel of it by dropping stuff that didn't fit everywhere, most egreigiously the ugly and out of scale sheikah towers but with other stuff too.

So yeah, I wasn't in love with the game's Hyrule like I was with the first game's. But thats not to say that I hated it either, I put 200 hours into it as a single player game so I clearly did like it.