Did you know that Dark Souls is older than Ocarina of Time was when it first released in 2011?

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time released In Japan on November 21st, 1998 and In North America on November 23rd, 1998

Dark Souls Released on September 22, 2011 In Japan and October 4th, 2011 in North America.
Meaning Dark Souls released before Ocarina of Time's 13th Anniversary.

Now Dark Souls is 13 Years old and I have two questions for everybody now that we had more time to judge the game than we had with Ocarina of Time when Dark Souls came out.

Going by Japanese release dates, When Dark Souls released on September 22nd, 2011, Ocarina of Time on N64 was 4688 Days old.
Today on September 22nd, 2024 Dark Souls turns 13 Years old in Japan which is 4749 Days.
If you want to know how long it took for Dark Souls to become exactly as old as Ocarina of Time in Japan it was on July 23rd, 2024 when Dark Souls became 4688 Days Old.
This brings up two questions in my mind?

1. Is Dark Souls as Influential as Ocarina of Time? or at least anywhere near it?

2. Does Dark Souls seem older than Ocarina of time did when Dark Souls originally released in 2011? It helps that Ocarina of Time had a 3DS Remake in June of 2011 but It just doesn't seem to me that Dark Souls is anywhere near as old as Ocarina of Time did in 2011 to me!

Another fun fact:
OOT 3DS Remake JP Release Date: June 16th, 2011
Dark Souls Remastered JP Release Date: May 24th, 2018
(Total days between: 2534 Days.)
2534 days from May 24th, 2018 is May 1st, 2025.

We are less than a year away from Dark Souls Remastered being the same age as Ocarina of Time 3D was when Dark Souls Remastered released.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Demon Souls is what started it all not Dark Souls, the media likes to forget about Demon Souls because it's a PlayStation exclusive and if it were not for PlayStation there would be no Dark Souls or Elden Ring. People are so disrespectful.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Time flies! Ocarina was old back then but to comprehend Dark Souls has the same distance.. yeah does not feel like it.

Post reminds me of 2 things how I went into my local games store somewhere in 2013 and the manager was telling me about Dark Souls and how much of a steal it was with the DLC for 20 euros. It was!

Picked up on an impulse few years later the New 3DS XL Hyrule edition with Ocarina remake for 200.
I bought a Switch in 2018 cause of Dark Souls (and BotW + library ofc) being one of the first excellent ports, playing console like in handheld and in some aspects even better blew my mind back then. So the time between the two wasn't long for me but the jump in handheld fidelity was great. In essence the games, you could say, show a lot of similarities. I mean Blighttown is as hated as the Water temple back then if you think about it.

Ofc Demon's Souls birthed the series but Dark Souls built upon the foundations to mainstream success and thus the viability of ''Souls-like genre''. In my opinion the game design and interconnectivity as well replay-ability is still one of the greatest of all time.
Where DS shines at that and both are highly influential, I still think OoT is a step above it simply cause it was ground breaking at the time.

Reactions: RE4-Station

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Ofc Demon's Souls birthed the series but Dark Souls built upon the foundations to mainstream success and thus the viability of ''Souls-like genre''. In my opinion the game design and interconnectivity as well replay-ability is still one of the greatest of all time.
All I read there is BS to justify ignoring Demon's Souls because it's exclusive.

Demon's Souls is a better game than Dark Souls (certainly 1 and 2), and most people who claim otherwise probably never played it.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
All I read there is BS to justify ignoring Demon's Souls because it's exclusive.

Demon's Souls is a better game than Dark Souls (certainly 1 and 2), and most people who claim otherwise probably never played it.
''justify ignoring'' Topic is about Dark Souls vs OoT and its impact compared to each other, literally acknowledged Demon's Souls birthing the genre.
In my opinion the game design and interconnectivity as well replay-ability is still one of the greatest of all time.
I actually played it on PS3 unlike a lot of faux pretenders. And going back from Dark Souls this stands heavily no contest. Lore, combat, polish, bosses and freedom all improved. Subjectively atmosphere goes to DeS. If you want to make a discussion topic about DeS vs DS go ahead.

You know what's actually wilfully ignorant and BS claiming the next iteration didn't build on the previous game and garner mainstream success.

So Miyazaki didn't come in half-way the Elder Scrolls copy ordered by Sony? And revamped it into Demon's Souls. Dark Souls is the iteration on that where he got the reigns from the beginning. So Yoshida didn't have regrets not locking the series down after Dark Souls came out due to mainstream success, you tell me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Demon Souls is what started it all not Dark Souls, the media likes to forget about Demon Souls because it's a PlayStation exclusive and if it were not for PlayStation there would be no Dark Souls or Elden Ring. People are so disrespectful.

I don't think it's the media that like covering it up but rather it's just that Dark Souls was the one that most people played.

Demon Souls sold over 1 million copies worldwide by February of 2012 which was 3 years after the Japanese release date:

While by that point Dark Souls already sold 1.5 million by that same point.

The dark souls franchise has sold 33.4 million units worldwide excluding Japan by March of 2022.

Dark Souls being the game that most people played and the sequels selling more and more are just why most people remember it being the one that started a big shift in gaming.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: CrackmanNL
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Post reminds me of 2 things how I went into my local games store somewhere in 2013 and the manager was telling me about Dark Souls and how much of a steal it was with the DLC for 20 euros. It was!

Picked up on an impulse few years later the New 3DS XL Hyrule edition with Ocarina remake for 200.
I bought a Switch in 2018 cause of Dark Souls (and BotW + library ofc) being one of the first excellent ports, playing console like in handheld and in some aspects even better blew my mind back then. So the time between the two wasn't long for me but the jump in handheld fidelity was great. In essence the games, you could say, show a lot of similarities. I mean Blighttown is as hated as the Water temple back then if you think about it.

Where DS shines at that and both are highly influential, I still think OoT is a step above it simply cause it was ground breaking at the time.
According to Miyazaki himself he said when asked about if his souls games should of been what Zelda became he said himself that his games do not deserve to be compared Zelda. The only reason they are comparable is because Zelda is sort of the textbook example of how to make 3D action games.

Also the Dark Souls Twitter account said this:

Last edited:
Reactions: CrackmanNL

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
According to Miyazaki himself he said when asked about if his souls games should of been what Zelda became he said himself that his games do not deserve to be compared Zelda. The only reason they are comparable is because Zelda because the sort of the textbook example of how to make 3D action games.
Yeah I know, he felt embarrassed if people compared the two. I've seen often discourse it being the ''adult version'' over the years but that's taking away the pioneering Zelda has done and in what timeframe/state of the industry was. Like for example the Z-locking alone and rolling, that lock on people refer to Souls iconic but they established it in 1997.

People also don't know that From was tasked in making a Elder Scrolls (Oblivion) clone for Sony that's the irony since BotW in turn was inspired by Skyrim.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

Nothing matches Demon's Souls to this day. The level design, the atmosphere, the story, unique bosses. It's just like nothing. It has nothing to do with all the souls that came after other than the basic gameplay mechanics.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Jeese thats scary
Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
Time flies! Ocarina was old back then but to comprehend Dark Souls has the same distance.. yeah does not feel like it.
advancements have slowed down a lot since then

the distance now between today and the release of the Xbox 360 is greater than the distance between the NES and the 360

yet NES to 360 was a universal leap and 360 to now is.... mostly the same with better graphics

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Today is September 23rd, 2024 and that means Nintendo turns 135 Years old today. Also Star Fox Adventures turns 22 years old today.

Say what you will about IGN but they made an amazing video a decade ago about Nintendo's 125 year Anniversary by going over their top 125 Nintendo Games: