Digital Foundry: Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty - PS5/Xbox Series Tests + 2.0 Upgrade Breakdown

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Cyberpunk 2077's massive Phantom Liberty expansion has arrived, its current-gen only nature allowing CD Projekt RED to push visual fidelity harder than the core game on release. In this tech review, Oliver Mackenzie assesses visual quality and performance in the expansion content, before circling back to the 2.0 update to the core game to see if that has improved over the older code.

00:00 Overview
01:08 Phantom Liberty visuals and performance
07:06 Patch 2.0 changes and performance
11:45 Final thoughts

image.png

The new patch on Xbox Series consoles doesn't seem to run quite as consistently as the PS5 code. The test driving sequence you'll see in the video above hits frame-rate snags on Series X and has some issues on Series S as well. I definitely felt the game suffering from performance issues somewhat more often in typical play than on the PS5 code, though none of the current-gen consoles are immune from frame-rate issues in their performance modes.

• Tiny edge in resolution for the Xbox Series X in Performance mode
  • PS5 version has better quality in some night scenes, probably related to the usage of HW VRS on the Series
  • Performance mode is not locked 60 in any console
  • RT/Quality modes are mostly 30fps
  • New patch runs better on the PS5 when compared to previous patch
  • Xbox versions suffer more performance issues than the PS5

Last edited:

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
image.png

The new patch on Xbox Series consoles doesn't seem to run quite as consistently as the PS5 code. The test driving sequence you'll see in the video above hits frame-rate snags on Series X and has some issues on Series S as well. I definitely felt the game suffering from performance issues somewhat more often in typical play than on the PS5 code, though none of the current-gen consoles are immune from frame-rate issues in their performance modes.

• Surprised
Reactions: Entropi

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
  • PS5 version has better quality in some night scenes, probably related to the usage of HW VRS on the Series
Note - When did these guys stop comparing the PS5 to the Series consoles side-by-side?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Note - When did these guys stop comparing the PS5 to the Series consoles side-by-side?

The minute Microsoft called and told them to.... :p

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
VRS is still hot garbage, and it does not even allow xbox perform better than PS5.

I wonder why MS allowed Sony to make the better console, the only thing xbox is winning is the buzzwords wars.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PropellerEar

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If that is the HW VRS then I stand correct with my old claim in GAF that said from the docs HW VRS just looked to be something to decrease image quality.
Even today it didn't convince me at all.
The trade off is not worth of it because the gains in performance is pretty small.

If it was something like FSR that while decrease image quality but increases 30% or more the performance... it should be a viable option.
But VRS is just bad without good advantages.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
I wanted to watch the full video... not just a cut... do you have the source? Thanks in advance.
I saw it here :

I don't know which episode of directdf it is.

Edit : i think it's this one but i don't have the timestamp.

Reactions: ethomaz

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
If that is the HW VRS then I stand correct with my old claim in GAF that said from the docs HW VRS just looked to be something to decrease image quality.
Even today it didn't convince me at all.
The trade off is not worth of it because the gains in performance is pretty small.

If it was something like FSR that while decrease image quality but increases 30% or more the performance... it should be a viable option.
But VRS is just bad without good advantages.
I know, I got booted out of neogaf for making too much fun of Ricky with his buzz words/acronym salads.

Every single VRS examples I have seen had obvious artefacts akin to overly compressed video.
I saw it here :

I don't know which episode of directdf it is.

Edit : i think it's this one but i don't have the timestamp.

I think the PS5 Pro should be 12tf just to troll xbots.

• fire
  • haha
Reactions: Evilms and ethomaz