[Digital Foundry] Direct 'Special': Worst PC Ports of 2023

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

The trend of disappointing PC ports was problematic in 2022 and it's with a profound sense of disappointment that 2023 wasn't that much better. Looking to highlight the issues, John Linneman and Alex Battaglia compare notes on the worst three PC ports of the year - but before that, they share a few examples of PC titles that shipped in a pretty poor state... but did actually improve significantly across the months after their release.

00:00 Introduction
02:58 The Last of Us Part 1
08:05 Forspoken
14:24 Redfall
20:22 Dead Space
27:52 Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
34:50 Wild Hearts
41:27 Closing discussion

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Pretty bad year for PC Ports. Alex also points out a very big culprit for this year : EA.
Dead Space, Star Wars Jedi:Survivor and Wild Hearts are all games published by EA.

The quality assurance for these ports are truly abysmal and even post-launch bufixes still leave the games in a state that leaves a lot to be desired after many months of release. These are just unfinished products that were actually released to the public.

As always, Fuck EA.

Reactions: JAHGamer

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
They are giving 3 months of leeway for patches? That's not acceptable.
Bugaga is still defending pc platform despite many games launching broken.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Pretty bad year for PC Ports. Alex also points out a very big culprit for this year : EA.
Dead Space, Star Wars Jedi:Survivor and Wild Hearts are all games published by EA.

The quality assurance for these ports are truly abysmal and even post-launch bufixes still leave the games in a state that leaves a lot to be desired after many months of release. These are just unfinished products that were actually released to the public.

As always, Fuck EA.
Immortals of Aveum was also terrible at launch

They are giving 3 months of leeway for patches? That's not acceptable.
Bugaga is still defending pc platform despite many games launching broken.
Your profile status of "...owns a 3080...why?" gets more and more relevant by the day.

• haha
Reactions: rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Immortals of Aveum was also terrible at launch

Your profile status of "...owns a 3080...why?" gets more and more relevant by the day.
Yeah I kinda got sick of pc gaming some time ago.
I got the 3080 at launch and it's a good card but held back by 10gb vram for sure.
Bad state of pc ports + ps5 dualsense and other features really made me move to ps5 gaming almost 90% of the time.
I will occasionally get a launch game on PC like RE4 but even then, it's not all great.
RE4 remake crashed for me a ton. Turns out it was RT setting on 10gb vram cards causing a crash. All the time. Before it was know, I finished the game with lower settings and all you had to do was disable RT. It's patched now.
Or dead space. I was deciding on a platform for the game and tried out the steam demo. I got such a massive stutterfest of a gameplay that whole cutscenes went by in the background while game was stuttering... while being 60fps max 4k ultra in other scenes. Again vram issue but it should not be my problem. I don't want to look which setting is responsible for this. I don't want to deal with that. I got the game on ps5 and it's great.
2YKCrUI.jpg

Same when witcher 3 got patchd. "hell yeah I love witcher 3, let's check out the pc patch"...ooof

Meanwhile me just playing games on ps5 and not giving a fuck (excuse poor hdr to sdr colors)
(Here is an PURELY RANDOM EXAMPLEM VID OFM E KILLING BALTEUS2 IN 59 SECONDS :ROFLMAO:)

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I got the 3080 at launch and it's a good card but held back by 10gb vram for sure.

PC gaming is just too much of a crapshoot and extra effort to make sure things go right.
Personally I just try to keep a somewhat modern PC to play three types of games :
-Games that are probably not going to get a console release(mostly Indies/Early Access games)
-Games where modding is very transformative
-Games where mouse and keyboard is just too superior of a control scheme.

Anything else I play on PlayStation.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: rofif and JAHGamer

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
PC gaming is just too such a crapshoot and extra effort to make sure things go right.
Personally I just try to keep a somewhat modern PC to play three types of games :
-Games that are probably not going to get a console release(mostly Indies/Early Access games)

yeah kinda the same here nowadays.
Obviously I replay half life 2 on pc at 4k120 and stuff like that.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Bad state of pc ports + ps5 dualsense and other features really made me move to ps5 gaming almost 90% of the time.
I will occasionally get a launch game on PC like RE4 but even then, it's not all great.
RE4 remake crashed for me a ton. Turns out it was RT setting on 10gb vram cards causing a crash. All the time. Before it was know, I finished the game with lower settings and all you had to do was disable RT. It's patched now.
Or dead space. I was deciding on a platform for the game and tried out the steam demo. I got such a massive stutterfest of a gameplay that whole cutscenes went by in the background while game was stuttering... while being 60fps max 4k ultra in other scenes. Again vram issue but it should not be my problem. I don't want to look which setting is responsible for this. I don't want to deal with that. I got the game on ps5 and it's great.
2YKCrUI.jpg

Same when witcher 3 got patchd. "hell yeah I love witcher 3, let's check out the pc patch"...ooof

Meanwhile me just playing games on ps5 and not giving a fuck (excuse poor hdr to sdr colors)
(Here is an PURELY RANDOM EXAMPLEM VID OFM E KILLING BALTEUS2 IN 59 SECONDS :ROFLMAO:)

I'm in a similar boat, I got a 3080 last February and really regret it. It was when 3080s were still kind of hard to come by, so there was some FOMO there. I was also in the EVGA queue for over 6 months, so the sunken cost fallacy as well made me put the trigger. I wish I'd just waited a few more months for a 4090. I upgraded from the 1080ti and it doesn't feel like as big of a leap as it should be.

I bought Hogwarts Legacy digital deluxe edition day 1 so that I could play it 3 days earlier, and the port was so trash I dropped the game entirely. I'm just now finally getting around to it now that it's finally patched. Also same with Witcher 3, I wanted to revisit the DLCs with the "next gen" patch but it was awful!
Finally going back to Hogwarts Legacy. I'm glad I waited to play it, just wish I didn't buy it day 1. Now on PC with all Ultra settings at 4k dlss quality im getting over 100fps and no stuttering. When I first tried to play it day 1, I could barely get 40-50 fps and there was non stop stuttering on medium settings
PC gaming is just too such a crapshoot and extra effort to make sure things go right.

Same here....all FPS games are a must play on KBM. I can't do first person with a controller, which is why I find it funny when clowns complain about Sony only doing 3rd person games. 3rd person is ideal for controller, 1st person feels terrible...well besides CoD but I started it playing on controller from CoD 4 to MW3 so I'm used to it, plus it has a crazy amount of aim assist.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I'm in a similar boat, I got a 3080 last February and really regret it. It was when 3080s were still kind of hard to come by, so there was some FOMO there. I was also in the EVGA queue for over 6 months, so the sunken cost fallacy as well made me put the trigger. I wish I'd just waited a few more months for a 4090. I upgraded from the 1080ti and it doesn't feel like as big of a leap as it should be.

I bought Hogwarts Legacy digital deluxe edition day 1 so that I could play it 3 days earlier, and the port was so trash I dropped the game entirely. I'm just now finally getting around to it now that it's finally patched. Also same with Witcher 3, I wanted to revisit the DLCs with the "next gen" patch but it was awful!

Same here....all FPS games are a must play on KBM. I can't do first person with a controller, which is why I find it funny when clowns complain about Sony only doing 3rd person games. 3rd person is ideal for controller, 1st person feels terrible...well besides CoD but I started it playing on controller from CoD 4 to MW3 so I'm used to it, plus it has a crazy amount of aim assist.
Man... and in comparison - Hogwarts Legacy is pristine on ps5. No stutters, no fps drops, perfect image quality (no fsr2 I think) and 40fps mode is very good.
I didn't knew the pc port of that is so bad. I heard some thing on release but didn't pay eough attention.

Anyway - I am happy to see another user who got a new gpu and then kinda regrets it. This means you are honest about it.
Most people cannot stand the thought of making such a financial mistake and will never admit that they regret it or that pc gaming has some problems.
They will always defend and internally rationalize "oh it;s ez to fix, pcgamingwiki is 5 minutes of work" "oh the patch is right around the corner" "oh this driver reinstal/fix is ez, so no problem".
Then you talk about pc isues and these people are like "dude I never had a problem with pc gaming, are you 7 years old and cannot install a patch lol lulz get fucked pcmr ftw"

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

Coming from the early days of FPS gaming when I was a kid/teen playing Doom/Quake/CS1.6, etc...
Once you play with that, FPS on controllers just feel like you're fighting the controller and not other players.

Even with TPS games, I don't really like to play them on console because very strong aim assist just feels "wrong" to me, it's not really me controlling the thing. But sometime it just controls like ass and you just have to say "Fuck it".

I played RDR2 on PS4 with that insane "basically you aim near any enemy NPC and it just auto headshots" setting because turned off else felt supremely bad to play. Manual aiming just feels like you're waist deep in the marshlands outside of Saint-Denis the entire time you're playing :ROFLMAO:

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Man... and in comparison - Hogwarts Legacy is pristine on ps5. No stutters, no fps drops, perfect image quality (no fsr2 I think) and 40fps mode is very good.
I didn't knew the pc port of that is so bad. I heard some thing on release but didn't pay eough attention.

Anyway - I am happy to see another user who got a new gpu and then kinda regrets it. This means you are honest about it.
Most people cannot stand the thought of making such a financial mistake and will never admit that they regret it or that pc gaming has some problems.
They will always defend and internally rationalize "oh it;s ez to fix, pcgamingwiki is 5 minutes of work" "oh the patch is right around the corner" "oh this driver reinstal/fix is ez, so no problem".
Then you talk about pc isues and these people are like "dude I never had a problem with pc gaming, are you 7 years old and cannot install a patch lol lulz get fucked pcmr ftw"
Those PCMR chuds are worse than the worst console warriors. Very egotistical, dishonest, and disingenuous and refuse to admit that a console experience could ever be better. It's their loss 🤷‍♂️